Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pensivern

stumped on foyer stairwell color

pensivern
4 years ago

I have a center hall colonial. My foyer is currently BM Wickham Grey which looks like Easter egg blue during much of the day ( little light). I want to paint this area- not sure what shade ...... my DR to the right is papered ( grey/ blue & white pattern). My kitchen straight ahead is SW light Pewter and my FR off kitchen is Seapearl- looks warmer than kitchen. Should I go with a lighter grey ( be Classic grey) to bring all the rooms together, or pick up the Seapearl again?

Pics of foyer wall ( classic grey left, Seapearl right sample) and view I to DR and view from kitchen into FM

Comments (14)

• jck910
    4 years ago

I would do it white. Maybe BM White Dove or Chantilly Lace

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

Same here, white.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was hoping for a little contrast between the trim and walls though. My trim is currently atrium white but eventually will be painted SW pure white like the rest of the house.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"but eventually will be painted SW pure white like the rest of the house".

No to "eventually" Paint the trim, which is too yellow for the look you want. It's the reason you wall color looks "blue",

Or just paint the walls atrium, and flat finish, to contrasr with trim finish. Until a bigger change. A yellowed trim never works well with blue OR gray walls: )

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sw pure white is “ too yellow? My wall color currently is Wickham grey which looks Very blue in that East facing foyer. I loved the blue cast prior to redoing my kitchen and DR, but now it screams blue.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Atrium!!!!! s too yellow. Trim needs the pure white, otherwise, match the foyer walls to existing trim ( atrium ) .........until you change to match the rest.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Atrium has a pink cast, not yellow to my eye at least. The wall color is bothering me more than anything right now. My painter is coming next week to paint BM classic grey. The foyer extends all the up the stairwell so its a big job. Next step is the trim, then new runner.
    Any runner suggestions given my view of DR ( pictured above)?

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s a pic of the Wickham grey in foyer / hall next to my kitchen with all SW pure white paint on the trim.. Sure still looks blue to me!! So it’s not the “ yellow atrium” making the walls look blue.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Trust me- Easter egg robin blue. Btw, the baseboard molding seen is Atrium white while the kitchen doorway molding is SW pure white-not much of a difference

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve already done that- that’s how I narrowed down my choices😉

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Well, go with your gut and take a leap. It's never easy.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

I seem to remember some agony over a paper /wainscoting thing in dining room? The mirror is not helping the new paper if I am right on that? A narrow "tease. and too small : ) . Art? Even better there. or a series of three related prints. .

PS I'd try Edgecomb Ben Moore : ) Works great in 1/2 strength formula too.

• pensivern
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes! Some folks on that thread were insisting that the wallpaper I chose looked great in the book because it was pictured with “ glazed wainscoting “. Nothing I could say would convince them otherwise ( that it was just shadowing). Im very happy with my Pure white unglazed wainscoting and love it with the paper although ......it can appear to have a light grey cast at times depending on the time of day. You’re not alone thinking the rectangular mirror is too dinky. It’s not moving though, I adore it !! A row of pics are going on the opposite wall.
    I’ll check out the 1/2 str Edgecomb- greys are such a challenge!