amybobamy89

Cabinets of differnt widths in kitchen?

amybobamy89

I just got my kitchen design and there are differing cabinet sizes in it. Starting from the left, the glass cabinet is 18", then a 30" cabinet (2 doors) 30 again over the stove, and lastly a 24" cabinet. Does this look weird? I'm limited on space so having them all the same size is not an option. Best I can do is to lose 3" of storage and make the 18" glass a 15" for symmetry to the left of the stove?? Thoughts? Thanks so much :)

• suezbell

Would NOT want glass front cabinets near the stove -- too much grease mist to clean. Reserve any glass for beside any window you have or at least as far away from the stove as is possible.

IF you, too, prefer symmetry then, if you can center your stove in that indented area, do. You could then have your overhead cabinets created with a pair of wider cabinet doors on the far left and another mirror/matching pair on the far right. Then add pair of cabinet equal sized doors with the hood between them with a single door on each side of the hood: with the cabinet on the left having its hinges on its left side; with the cabinet immediately right of the hood having its hinges on its right.

If you must keep your stove off center such as for hood exhaust reasons, match the cabinet you put on the right of the stove hood with another the same size on the left of the stove hood and THEN create another cabinet with a pair of equal width doors for what space you have left on the far left.

Match the width of the overhead cabinets and the width of the base cabinets beneath them -- those two don't need to be the same width as the other two overhead cabinets -- just the same as each other.

IMO the glass cabinet just draws attention to the fact all the cabinets are not the same same size so I would lose the glass cabinet

amybobamy89 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting

What is the width of the rail on your kitchen shaker doors?

On your kitchen shaker doors, what is the width of the shaker part on the door? 2 inch? 2.5 inch? 3 inch? I'm trying to decide between 2.5 and 3 inches on my white shaker cabinets for my kitchen.

Advice for width of upper kitchen cabinet doors.

Symmetry is key in a kitchen design, and while some would prefer smaller doors, in your situation, it sounds like the right choice is to have the larger size. Otherwise, I think you may find that having such a dramatic size difference from one side of the hood to the other is not visually appealing. Be sure that the cabinet on the left side of the hood hinges left, and vice versa for the other side. The company that you purchase your cabinetry from should be providing you with perspectives and elevations for your approval. These drawings can be very helpful in making these decisions. It should be no problem for them to show you both options in black and white. One last thought - you might find out if a double door option is available. A 23" x 35" cabinet is an odd size. Perhaps that is just the door size on a 24" x 36" cabinet box? If so, most companies offer a W2436 in a butt door option (2 doors per cabinet).

got extra width in a galley kitchen? go extra deep in your cabinets!

For the last TWENTY years I have "built out" my fridge wall an extra 12". This keeps the usual countertop appliances off my workspace AND it allows a deep niche for the fridge...no fridge "jut".

Width of cabinet pulls?

I prefer an even simpler pull like these from Lee Valley they come in a huge choice of sizes and I spend a lot of time choosing sizes in proportion to the cabinets and drawers I never use 2 knobs on drawers that requires 2 hands to open and close them, you also need to think where the pulls go sometimes it is nec essary to have some horizontal and others vertical to avoid collisions I like a 24” or even 30” on a 36” drawer to give you an idea
  • suezbell

Consider putting three deeper wider drawers to the right of your stove for longer and larger cooking utensils -- the larger items that don't fit well in shallow drawers.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/eight-piece-stainless-steel-kitchen-utensil-set/1011915140?opbthead=true&ta=typeahead&keyword=stainless-steel-cooking-utensils 

These deep/wide drawers could also be used for storing shallow baking pans.

amybobamy89 thanked suezbell
  • Cheryl Smith

its nice but sometimes hard to do in the space you have. Can you show the rest of your kitchen. There may be a better layout all around. Just looking at that wall, I would NOT have glass fronts on a cooking wall. I think the only place for them is where you can show off your dishes and glassware. It also makes it easier for people to know where they are without having to ask. So located by your sink or near the dining space.

amybobamy89 thanked Cheryl Smith
  • ILoveRed

Where is your refrigerator? Just curious.

amybobamy89 thanked ILoveRed
  • amybobamy89

Unfortunately I can only move the stove approx. 32 inches from the right wall, but that symmetry would have been awesome if possible! I added the glass cabinet to ring some light and perceived space since the cabinets are all in the cut out, but sounds like should get rid of it :) Thank you so much for your insight!

• Cheryl Smith

I accidentally posted my last comment and can't edit from my tablet. My thoughts...you can have 3 24" cabinets and the 30" for your stove. That is a nice size, 30" is large I would place a 24" upper and lower each side of the stove and another 24" upper and lower to the left or a 24" full pantry type cabinet in the corner to the left. I really would like to see what you have planned for the rest of your kitchen though. You may have other options

amybobamy89 thanked Cheryl Smith
  • amybobamy89

Here's what the kitchen looks like now - all cabinets and island will be changing as well as paint :))

• amybobamy89

Here are 2 alternative designs - one where the glass is same size and one without glass and instead a 12" by stove and pullout 12 on bottom...

• amybobamy89

Cheryl, is this what you are thinking? I had assumed a 24" 2 door cabinet would be too small?

• amybobamy89

Here's the last possible configuration that I can think of - would love anyone's thoughts as I'm obviously lost! Thanks :) This one is all 30s with a 12 at the far left

• hemina

I think this one makes the most sense from what you’ve posted.

• hemina

There’s a pullout for spices or utensils next to the stove. Deep drawers for pots/pans. Wide drawer for utensils. Uppers match lowers. Not symmetrical but I’d rather have the smaller pullout/upper cabinet next to the stove for how I cook.

amybobamy89 thanked hemina
  • missenigma

Based on the fact that the stove can't be centered (why is that - the existing venting?), then I think the cabinet widths and arrangement in your existing kitchen look better than anything in your proposals.

I'd keep the upper cab widths the same as existing and replace 1 for 1 with ones that go to the ceiling. For the lowers, I'd have one drawer bank the on the far left the combined width of the two base cabs on the far left. Then I'd have a drawer bank of equal sizes flanking the stove to replace the existing base cabs.

I'm not sure what the design proposals are trying to achieve but to me, they are making things look choppy and busy and are a step backward.

amybobamy89 thanked missenigma
  • amybobamy89

Yes, the existing venting can only be moved approx. 10". The existing cabinets are varied size (18, 30, 21). I suppose I could do 3 of the 18s on the left, 30 over stove and 18 on the right though which would make the right counter less functional. New model moves the stove as much as possible to make the counter space on the right more functional (right now can only rest utensils rather than use as a workspace) and in doing so I would also gain another cabinet. All new cabinets will go to the ceiling :)

• missenigma

From the picture they look to be about the same size judging by the doors. I understand now about wanting more space on the right. That makes sense.

• Cheryl Smith

I'm not a fan of sinks or cooktops in islands. Just wondering why you are changing things. It actually looks like a decent kitchen now. Looks fairly new. What size ares the cabinets now?

• amybobamy89

The three to the left are 18.5, the one on the far right is 22". They are approx. 20 years old and starting to delaminate. I'm short on storage due to the small space so hoped that bringing the cupboard to the ceiling would enhance storage as well as visual of space. By adding the additional cab on the right I'm hoping to achieve more workspace (now it is quite small).

• amybobamy89

If I give up on the extra cabinet and accept the smaller workspace on the right, this is what it would look like. (would need to adjust base cabinets but that is doable).

Elizabeth Minish Design

Lots of good questions and feedback here, however something that hasn't been covered yet is that currently you have a cabinet on the upper right of range that hinges on the right, exposing its contents to the cook standing at the range. If you have a double-doored cabinet as per many of your options, the cook has to go around a door to access whatever is in the cabinet. I don't know how you cook or what you currently have in your cabinet to the right, but it is definitely something to consider, irrespective of symmetry.

amybobamy89 thanked Elizabeth Minish Design
  • amybobamy89

Oh my goodness, I hadn't thought of that - and it would likely be annoying when cooking or even putting dishes away. And I thought the cabinet part would be the easy end of the reno ha! So here's an option where the door would open the right way but it is incorporating 12" cabinets - not sure if those are too small to be functional but I could put oils, seasonings, etc...If keeping it double doored it would have to be cabinet just for dishes which would be fine too, but definitely not for cooking tools, etc.

Elizabeth Minish Design

12" cabinets are not very useful, so to be avoided if possible. I think the last option you showed with two 21"? cabinet's flanking the range with the 30" to the far left is the best option.

Are you changing the orientation of your island, by the way? It seems like it would be MUCH more useful if it were parallel to the range instead of perpendicular and you could then get more space on each side of the sink. Where is your dishwasher? Also, it looks from your drawings like you're changing appliances. Is this correct? I'm wondering because you are going from white cabinetry with a black range to dark cabinetry with a white range.

• mjkjrobinson

It looks awesome don"t worry, you have a great little kitchen!

• amybobamy89

I had thought about changing the island orientation but then it would butt into my dining room which is a couple feet to the left of the last cupboard (one day I will have a big house lol). I have changed all appliances to stainless, changed to above range microwave, planning for white uppers and gray lowers from Ikea. Dishwasher is also in the island.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I do not agree that the base and upper cabinets need to match. In a limited space kitchen, you really should choose the design that is most practical for your storage and cooking needs - then if some minor tweak can make them seem more balanced - or give the illusion of more symmetry- fine. Remember that no one will ever be viewing the cabinet wall straight on like one does when looking at the design drawings, unless the opposite wall is open to another room (and even then...) and with an island there, no one will ever be seeing all the base cabinets at once either.

So if you decide to use small upper cabinets (however, 12" really are not practical for much other than things like tea & coffee supplies) don't match them with equally small lowers. You would regret it believe me - with one exception:

A narrower base pullout next to the stove can be practical for cooking utensils (hung on a pegboard inside or held in bins), oils and spices. Not everyone likes them for spices - I do like mine (a 9" - had no choice on that!) But in a small kitchen, a larger drawer might be a better use for the space.

24" drawers are generous storage for things like silverware, knives, dish towels, napkins, foil, wraps and baggies, trivets and so forth. Bamboo dividers and organizers help to make the most of them. Be sure that you plan for cooking utensil space if you don't use a pullout for them - 2 shallow drawers perhaps, or a single shallow wide enough for both silverware and utensils, or a deeper drawer -in-drawer. 30" and larger are great for pots & pans, lids, mixing bowls, baking dishes - again, use organizers in the drawers.

• wilson853

If you get rid of the corner pantry you would have more options. It is taking up a lot of real estate and intruding into your only two walls. Depending on the measurements and the rest of the space which we can't see, a single wall kitchen with a longer parallel island might work better. I prefer having the long side of the island across from the range as it gives you much more prep space. I got rid of all the angles in my kitchen and it made the entire space seem so much bigger.

Seven | Madison Valley · More Info

amybobamy89 thanked wilson853
    Elizabeth Minish Design

I agree with wilson853 except that this would entail a much larger scope of project involving your ceiling and flooring. That said, I can't imagine going to all this trouble and expense to end up with such a small improvement. All your countertop spaces are so separate from each other and so not in the best locations. It would be really helpful to see a complete floor plan of your kitchen and adjacent dining area to evaluate the intrusion of the island into your dining area versus your continuing lack of prep space which is created by the placement of your sink and the orientation of your island.

• wilson853

Here is one of my favorite makeovers from a few years ago where they removed the corner pantry and took cabinets to the ceiling.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4649209/kitchen-reveal#n=66

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri

Your original question has never occurred to me: "would it look weird to have cabinets of different widths?" I thought ALL kitchens had cabinets of different widths! Mine does. I think every kitchen I've ever lived with has cabinets of different widths. How could you not? There's too many variables with sinks, refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves, ovens, doors, windows, islands, peninsulas, etc. etc.