FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

mar_77

What cabinet color with this granite?

mar 77

Looking for a shade of medium brown that will go with this granite. Any pictures will help.

Why brown unless the cabinets are wood in which case a picture of the space and the cabinets would be great.

mar 77 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
    Beth H. :

you mean a stained brown wood cabinet? any brown stain goes w/that granite. walnut, espresso, oak, maple,,etc. I'd prob stay away from anything too red or too yellow.

Just look up Santa Cecelia granite countertops on google and you'll see 100 pictures

mar 77 thanked Beth H. :

What granite color granit will with cherry cabinets, white ceramic flr w/ grey swirl & BM Sidewalk Grey walls

You're on the right track - lighter counters will make the room feel larger and brighter. My recommendation would be to play off of the floor finish. You might find something that plays off of the cherry tones and still blends with the white/gray floor. Take a piece of the floor tile and take a drawer out of the cabinets when you search for granite as samples. I would also recommend not getting hung up on the wall finish color - paint is the easiest thing to change.

Remodel Bathroom

A travertine look tile would look beautiful for a traditional look. A white or beige subway tile would look more contemporary. https://www.houzz.com/photos/21st-century-bungalow-traditional-bathroom-new-york-phvw-vp~412993

What color cabinet and tile will work with my granite?

White Cabinetry always looks crisp. Throw a pop of color in there and maybe even look into a red accented back splash!

What color cabinets would go great with giallo ornamental granite?

Yes to a creamy white. I have the same granite and it was a mistake to pair it with Dove White cabinets. It was very difficult finding a BS to tie it all together. So, that is something else to consider. We finally went with Gracia Rixi crema subway tiles and it tied everything together nicely, but it took months to find it! If you chose one of the colors above, think about the BS too. Creamy white IMHO would be the best solution. Here is my kitchen:
  • mar 77

Patricia, cabinets are wood - golden oak - 1990's. Wanted to stain the oak a medium brown.

Beth, y stained brown wood cabinet. Is there a glaze I could use on golden oak so that it is not so orangy/yellow? Thanks.

• herbflavor

the cabs are nearing 30 yr old. If you wait and replace you can get drawers and a better kitchen. EDITING your space with some wall cabinet removal...use of open shelving until you can plan a remodel will save you...and alter the visuals at eye level for a while. Try change of light bulbs, change hardware, paint color change on walls to buffer the orange ish cast from the old oak.

mar 77 thanked herbflavor

NO glaze either refinish them in the med. brown stain or leave them. IMO glazed cabinets always look dirty. Could you post a pic of the kitchen. I do agree changing lighting is a must before choosing to do anything. Change the bulbs to LEDs in 4000K then at least the colors will look true all the time.

• mar 77

Thanks. All good ideas. Will look into lighting and paint.

Granite work should be completed today. I'll post a picture after that. Probably should have gone with quartz, but it was 2K more for a good quartz.

Can you give me names of some medium brown stains that look good with this granite so I can look for kitchen pictures. I also have to get tile for a backsplash.

Thanks.

Beth H. :

so you have golden oak cabs and want to stain them? it's just as much work as painting but painting them will look better. The reason they yellow is because of the clear coat that was put on where they were new. that clear coat yellows over time. You also can't stain on 'top of it'.

doing a proper staining job means stripping down all of the wood down to raw oak. sanding. applying a pre stain conditioner, and then the stain. If you think you can just go over what's there with a thick gel coat, it's going to look horrible. and those only go darker. so if you want a brown espresso color, you can buy that 89 dollar cabinet reface stuff but it's going to look like crap.

You're better off painting them.

I would choose granite over quartz everytime.

• celerygirl

I would go with something light or neutral

mar 77 thanked celerygirl
  • Lidia

I have the same stone in our small master bath. Hubby’s pick not my first...the stone...not the hubby ;). We paired it with natural color maple cabinets and maple flooring, and off white creamy walls and brushed nickel hardware/faucets. It’s been over 10 years and I’m not tired of it (I tire of interior decor quickly).

I agree with an earlier post to edit what you have, maybe do some changes and if you love your high quality cabinets...sand those babies down and stain with a super light color or paint. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve just stood back and admired how lovely it looks...fresh during the day and warm and cozy at night under dimmers.

mar 77 thanked Lidia
  • rachann61

Is there other photos? All I see is granite, which is pretty. Staining cabinetry is hard work and easy to mess up. I speak with experience. I hope you are letting the professionals do it and you have checked them out. With that said a nice chocolate color on oak is pretty and it seems that the clear poly they have now does not yellow as badly as they used to.

mar 77 thanked rachann61
  • mar 77

Here are some pictures. We still have to do the backsplash (want to get an idea of cabinet color / stain first).

I don't like a dark stain, so was thinking of a medium brown- maybe GF Mahogany double coat (so it's lighter that multiple coats) or a creamy white with a dark chocolate glaze or maybe a warm grey glaze? Appliances are black stainless steel.

Suggestions on the brand of the medium brown stain or paint would help.

(note: Backsplash will be replaced. Cabinets are not high quality, but thinking of just staining/painting for now)

• rachann61

I think painting them is the best option. Especially if you are DIYing it. White is classic and the #1 in popularity. It goes with the style. A warm white. What are the floors? Look online for instructions for painting kitchen cabinets

mar 77 thanked rachann61
  • rachann61

Or you can leave them the way they are. Clean them good and if the need some new clear coat you could do that. I like them. Get some blackish pulls that compliment your black stainless appliances and a cool light fixture. Maybe a black faucet. Then some pop of color in accessories

mar 77 thanked rachann61
    Beth H. :

mar, just paint them. I've already told you they have to be stripped to put stain on them.

even for painting, you'll still have to sand all of them, prime, sand again, and then paint. no matter which option you choose, they all have tedious prep work. prep is probably80% of the work involved.

If you ignore what I say and just put a gel stain over those, it's going to be blotchy and won't 'take' in spots where the clear coat is still intact. And you can only go darker. It's like hair. if you have brown hair and want to go lighter, then you have to bleach it. same w/that wood. if you want to go lighter than the golden, you have to strip it. if you want a new stain to actually penetrate, you have to strip off the clear coat. And with all that trim work on the doors w/the sharp grooves, you're going to end up w/more stain in those tiny crevices which will give you darker edges. it's an extremely laborious undertaking.

If you want an espresso stain, you can try this on one of the doors and see how it looks

https://www.pneumaticaddict.com/2014/06/darken-cabinets-without-stripping.html

Paint them. paint them a dark color if you like, but paint them.

https://www.evolutionofstyleblog.com/how-to-paint-your-kitchen-cabinets-like

here is a pic of another poster who had the same granite and oak cabs. she wanted to paint them white and do a black tile. (we tried to advise her to remove the 4" piece of the back but she didn't)

however, if you do a creamier white and bring a tile like this, I might blend a bit better

I like the black tile too, but I'd like it w/more of a creamy white. or maybe a white grout

mar 77 thanked Beth H. :
  • mar 77

Thanks for so many good suggestions. Beth, thanks for the pictures- it helps.

My granite has more of a cream base (with taupe, rust, burgundy, black and some grey). Similar to Santa Cecelia light but not as gold as New Venetian Gold.

My floor tile is a travertine look porcelain tile. Appliances are black stainless steel (which is a metallic grey).

Of the following colors, which would you pick? Granite has rust and burgundy swirls with the creamy background.

Creamy paint and glaze

Below are Gel Stains

• kulrn

Looks like my old granite. I had my cabinets painted black in my old house. (Regret the backsplash choice, LOL!)

My Home Pics · More Info

Before:

Home: before and after · More Info

After:

My Home Pics · More Info

mar 77 thanked kulrn
  • mar 77

Kulrn - thanks for the pictures.

y - your granite is similar (New Venetian Ice?). You also have black stainless steel appliances.

Why do you regret your backsplash choice? I was thinking of something similar ... lol. Do you remember what that trim tile is called? It has black/grey/cream - exactly what I was looking for. Also the name of your backsplash... Thanks!

• ShadyWillowFarm

Love the black!!

mar 77 thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • suedonim75

You are not going to be able to stain those cabinets and make them look good. Are the cabinet boxes real wood or are they laminate? You can’t sand or stain laminate. And good luck sanding all of the old finish out of all the grooves. Each door will take days to strip, sand and stain.

mar 77 thanked suedonim75
  • mar 77

Cabinet doors are wood. There is a laminate piece on the side, but my contractor says he will replace that with a thin sheet of real wood.

General Finishes website and reviews say clean, light sand and gel stain. But like Beth mentioned maybe painting is the better option. I won't be doing it myself.

• kulrn

I understand the accent tile is considered dated now, and the travertine looked pretty good with the granite, but it can come across as pinkish sometimes. I tend to go for less busy now :-) My new house also has a busy granite, and I went simple with my backsplash.

Tile · More Info

Look at the https://tilebar.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=montauk collection at tilebar or the https://tilebar.com/cavallo-swiss-coffee-3x18-polished-porcelain-tile.html

mar 77 thanked kulrn
  • mar 77

Love your backsplash. Slight variation like hand painted tile and also a shimmer. Is your backsplash Montauk Fog or Gin?

Will definitely consider this backsplash. It's simple but interesting. Will go against white or a darker cabinet. Thanks!