FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

Ripped off by Interior Designer with no contract. Any options?

HU-336140485

Do I have any options on how to recover remaining funds or undelivered furniture?

The short version of this long story is that I hired an acquaintance that I knew and though I could trust for several years to decorate my entire home. We negotiated and agreed on a verbal contract on a set fee for service price, no market on any purchases, and discount on any stock inventory used. She said no contract was needed, so I agreed and paid her in advance.

The project was supposed to take a few weeks and stretched into months. She sent me the inventory with inflated prices that were marked up beyond what she paid, and several other schemes to charge me much more than we negotiated or paid for the items. Coincidently, the overall cost came out to nearly exact what I had already paid her. Emails and phone calls from me have not resolved the situation.

I do have a written inventory with prices that we agreed upon that is not signed or dated that she drafted at the beginning and an electronic inventory with the inflated prices.

I've made mistakes and learn some valuable life lessons which I will not repeat again. There is nothing that I can do to change these mistakes, but I would still like recover something that I am owed.

1) No Background Check- I used an acquaintance that I trusted and had known for years without doing background checks.

2) No Contract- There is not contract. I was fine to sign a contact, but she said one was not need.

3) Paid in Advance- Due to some situations in her life, I paid in advance.

Another question that I am wrestling with, as a Christian, is if the correct approach is to just walk away even though it is a significant amount of money that we cannot afford or is it time to stand up to someone that I have since learned treated other customers similarly?