robotropolis

help me with inspiration pics?

robo (z6a)

Show me all your modern, clean, warm, mcm or Scandinavian style inspiration pictures! I am trying to put together an album for my house designer.

One thing I’m especially looking for is a fireplace wall with built ins with the tv NOT over the fireplace. Every man in the room, including my husband, was scratching his head at that one.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Given your layout, I think one or the other item needs to go angled in the corner. What about putting the tv across from the sofa, and then putting something like this in the corner to the right of the Tv?

• mtnrdredux_gw

Btw, there is, imho, only one version of Tv over fpl that looks nice and is proper viewing height. It’s when you use a low, skinny , fpl, like this

• Feathers11

I'm going to dissent. Your inspiration photo looks like the following conversation took place:

Wife: I will NOT have that monstrous TV above the fireplace.

Husband: But... this is our family room. This is where we watch TV...

Wife: Do NOT put that thing above the fireplace!

Husband: (shrugs... places it 2 feet to the right.)

If I'm going to have two big black squares in my room, I'd like them vertically aligned. That, to my eye, is pleasing and symmetrical.

ETA, the wife and husband in my head are not you and yours, Robo. They appear in my mind every time I come across the tv-over-the-fireplace debate. They're more the Hyacinth/Richard duo in Keeping Up Appearances.

• mtnrdredux_gw

I think Robo’s first photo is clever.

the fpl area is white and vertical, the Tv area is gray and horizontal, and recessed some. I think this helps disguise what is essentially the repetition of two big, black holes.

so i think it does work, but then I’m in the camp that dies not like a Tv over a traditionally sized fpl.

• robo (z6a)

Actually that is TOTALLY me and my husband! Haha!

Here are some more of my inspo pics. But there's a 30-50% chance TV goes above FP.

Most of these rooms are grander than mine will ever be. So that's some valuable context right there.

I really like the idea of a large floating hearth that goes from window (impromptu window seat) over to built ins. Thinking I could nest drawers underneath it under the window and the built ins and have it float in front of FP.

In the third pic, I like how the upper shelf becomes a mental.

This is probably my favorite pic so far ... but no TV....doesn't everything look better without a TV!

Hacienda Ja Ja · More Info

2015 Street of Dreams | Serenity · More Info

Mercer Island Modern · More Info

Moraga Residence · More Info

Anchor Bend · More Info

• mtnrdredux_gw

Those all rely on pretty much the same trick, and it’s a good one imho. But it does take up a lot of space vs the n Tv over skinny fireplace: that one gives you more sauce for built Ins

• 3katz4me

Stick to your guns - no TV over the FP. I'm astonished at how often I see that in real estate listings. I would think the people who watch those high rise TVs would have a major neck ache. I like your first photo too. I just don't like them side by side if they're both the same size and height - some variation is needed IMHO.

• robo (z6a)

By the way, you will be interested to know that the construction manager, the designer and the realtor all introduced themselves to me and shook my hand first and then turned to my husband. Very deliberate, I’m sure!

• Kswl 2

I’ve never had a tv screen in a main living / reception area until now. Vbigscreen tv downstairs in walkout basement family room , but DH is not always able to get up and down stairs. We usually stream what we want to watch individually on iPads, but occasionally like to watch a movie or Seinfeld reruns together. so we have a biggish black tv over our fireplace in the open living area. I choked as it was put up, Robo, but so far it hasn’t killed me. The height doesn’t bother us either (Although it’s not that high). Like everything else, you get used to it if that’s any consolation.

• localeater

Tell me how you use your fireplace?

Wood or gas?

Is this a fireplace that will heat your home in case of power outage? If yes, how often could that occur?

Is this a fireplace for ambiance, and you will never touch but will tell DH to make a fire? Will this be 1x/week, 2x/week, 1x/ month?

I actually really like the image Anchor Bend. That could be my life, the TV is prominent for when you want to watch TV but the fire can be prominent for a cozy evening for two in the corner. DH and I could listen to music and have the fire as a focal point, but well when we want to watch the super bowl it is also right there.

• arcy_gw

mtnrdredux have to laugh. a bff put that same fireplace, an original, on the curb and of course it disappeared...only to show up a month later!! Her brother was messing with her....Her's was orange.

• beaglesdoitbetter

We have a TV over three of our five fireplaces in our PA house. Such is life. I knew if we didn't put one in there, the rooms wouldn't get used as much. It is comfortable in two of the three rooms where the fireplace is lower, but horrible in our great room and my husband hates it. We were talked into spending a lot of money on a gadget that makes the TVs tilt down with a remote control. Ask me how many times we've used them. I don't even think we have the remotes any more.

Contemplating splurging for this in our new FL house where we'll probably also end up with a TV over the fireplace https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/the-frame/highlights/ but can't decide if it will look gimmicky and stupid. Would be nice to see it in person.

• robo (z6a)

Gas fireplace will be used sporadically for atmosphere and radiant heat but not for survival. I think it will turn on with a light switch so no worries on forcing my husband to make a fire haha. At the cottage we had the wood stove going most nights so I imagine we’ll have this one going quite a bit.

• l pinkmountain

My TV is not above the fireplace, it is kitty corner from it and that's the way I like it. I would never want a big black blob on top of another vacant blob as a decorating statement. In fact, I hate the one big black blob I have now, but I acquiesced for love. I love the inspiration photos of TV adjacent posted here! Not saying you're wrong if you don't prefer that, just saying I do and love that I have some kindred spirits here.

Edited to add that if your tastes are like my hubs, you also have to plan for the footprint of the speakers, (multiple) and receiver, dvd player and our case records and record player. And modem. And tablet and phone charging station. I predict that artful design of an all encompassing media station to be a big topic of future HD posts!

• IdaClaire

Watching this right now, which has never, not even once, made my neck hurt.

• Kswl 2

That tv looks interesting, beagles! DH left our tv screen on and the ATT screensavers made me feel like I was in a nail salon, ugh. DH just told me there is a matchbox sized device that costs around $100 that connects to your tv and displays content you have to upload to it yourself. I wouldn’t mind our own pictures as screensavers but surely there is now a service for Digitally delivering original art for that express purpose. I think pictures of your darling new little boy would be wonderful screensaver art—-congratulations Btw!,

Not watching anything at the moment, our guests are all out on the patio, but these are our twin black holes. Doesn’t hurt my neck either. I think people who have tv related neck problems (or neck related tv problems?) may need more comfortable furniture.

• robo (z6a)

Maybe I just need one of these picture frame TVs

• robo (z6a)

Picture frame tv

• beaglesdoitbetter

Thanks KSWL. Your room is beautiful. I love the bookcases and the blue dishes on top.

Robo, I think that's the TV I linked to above. The Frame.

• robo (z6a)

That's exactly the one! Sorry, I plead toddler brain.

• beaglesdoitbetter

LOl. You should totally get The Frame and tell me how it is so I can decide if I want it ;)

I am so glad we are building kind of close to the same time! We can investigate all the cool new gadgets together and share our finds.

• Oakley

If you decide on a setup like the first picture look closely at it again. There's only one spot in the room where someone can watch tv without having to scoot over or strain their neck. I don't know why they'd recess the wall for the tv, it blocks viewing.

When DS planned to put his tv over the mantel I begged him not to, and it turned out fine. I don't strain my already bad neck and his mantel is a couple of feet longer than the tv on each side with candlesticks and other decor which takes the black hole feeling away.

Back to the gas FP, do you lose power very much and if so will it warm the room?

• Lyban zone 4

KSWL...that room is gorgeous. I anxiously await to see other rooms in your new place. I know your old home was decorated to perfection .

• maddielee

“DH just told me there is a matchbox sized device that costs around $100 that connects to your tv and displays content you have to upload to it yourself. ”

Amazon Fire Stick also allows you to do this. ($ 24.95). It takes the photos you choose from your Amazon Photos section of Prime.

• mtnrdredux_gw

I have a friend w those pic frame TVs. Personally it looks odd because it has no texture like a painting, has no matting or glass like a print,and the "frame" seems a little too simple/skimpy for the size of the image. YMMV

LOL re the fpl. Not my cup of tea, but it sure is MCM groovy. Am I misremembering or did Sochi have something similar in her weekend place?

• mtnrdredux_gw

As far as the general idea of TV/fpl, I don't think its an optimal look but IRL, isn't there usually something less than perfect we accept because it just makes sense? I was thinking about this the other day with my octagon refresh. How many of us have rooms where every element in it is exactly what we would choose de novo for that space at that time given that current use of the space? The reality of home decorating is most rooms contain a compromise.

• Moxie

For me, even having a TV in the house is a compromise. I hate the darned things. DH's is in a separate room next to his favorite rocking chair. Fortunately, over the FP isn't even a consideration since DH counts fingers at about 9 inches.

• mtnrdredux_gw

We only have one TV in our house. It is over a very large a console (an old Belgian workbench nearly 10 feet long), so it does not dominate the room. My DH watches sports on it and we use it for family movie nights. The majority of viewing is on laptops and ipads. In Maine, our flat screen is in a narrow, custom cabinet and it rises out with the push of a button. It works well.

• blfenton

Our living room never had a tv in it and was never used. It was a big piece of wasted real estate. When we did our renos in went a tv and now that room is used all the time. I would rather that than have a Formal living room.

It's on a stand though and not on our giant corner Squamish rock fireplace.

I was looking at your kitchen pictures. If you like colour, at all, you won't like working in those kitchens and yea, yea, I know all about accessorizing with colour, but it's not the same thing as having permanent colour in the room. This was a big mistake that I made when redoing our house.

• lakeaffect

I think people are getting to the question that must be asked before anyone can opine on TV placement, how does your family watch it, who is watching, when, etc. We have one tv, in our downstairs den, because I believe TV watching should be intentional, not as background noise or on by default and because I hate TV unless it’s one of my shows, haha. We also don’t have cable, just wi-if and a couple of streaming services and the TV is never on during the day. Would you consider putting it in the den so the door can close and the rest of the family isn’t held hostage by one person’s choice of show?

• robo (z6a)

We will have a tv in the family room (in fact the den might my quiet away area). We watch a lot of smaller screens but I like the tv for limited screen time for Emmett because he’s very active while it’s on, where with the tablet he sits and stares.

Blfenton you KNOW I love color! Haha. I think I’ll do some colourful tile. I have a “feature tile” behind my stove now, which I know is a bit of a dated concept. In the new house we’ll have a 36” cooktop, sink, and big window along the same wall. I’m considering doing the whole wall with a fun feature tile. I never got sick of the one here and my husband still likes it as well.

• robo (z6a)

I have also been considering doing a color on the bottom cabs but I’m also liking the idea of light wood on bottom cabs. We have a black and white kitchen now, still like the two tone but wouldn’t do black again.

• robo (z6a)

So I just realized I’ll probably be putting the tv and fireplace on a shorter wall, like 13 feet. So....stacked it is. Here’s my prelim sketch.

• robo (z6a)

Window on the right and shelves on the left.

• bbstx

Don‘t forget to leave room at the bottom for the sound bar as seen in “Anchor Bend.”

robo (z6a) thanked bbstx
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Actually you’ve created something really interesting, esp if you keep the proportions of your sketch. Shade the window black and look at it again. A lot of the time it will look that way ... now you have a composition of 3 polygons and 3 of anything is pleasing!!! I especially like the left justifying of the tv and fireplace too. Just a little visual tension.

robo (z6a) thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • robo (z6a)

Yes the stupid subwoofer and speakers are apparently coming with us 😨

• justerrilynn

Robo, when you have your house plans done you can download them onto the Hometheaterdirect site, their team will help you with ceiling and in wall speaker selection, placement and a plan for builder. Don’t let the cheap prices fool you, these are a great bang for your buck speakers. I’ve used them in two houses so far. Your builder can run the speaker lines & speakers during the construction. All grills are paintable. If you are doing an open but roofed area in the back of house for a patio that could be a future room, they also have outdoor ceiling speakers. It’s easy peasy to do while building.

Your husbands gear could go into another space.

https://www.htd.com/Products

• Kswl 2

Our new house has an extensive built in speaker system, they are in the ceilings of almost every room and there are wall controllers everywhere. We don’t use them because they require a hardwired drive / music repository. If you do a wireless system you can move the speakers around to different rooms as your use of them changes, and anyone can download a controller on their phone or laptop. I hate all the speakers in the ceilings and removing them / drywalling over the holes is a project for later this year. We had an extensive network of Sonos speakers in our old house and when we moved we just unplugged and took them with us. The sound quality is also superior to the built ins we have. Wireless can be more expensive but thats a tradeoff with portability and sound. Just another thing to think about while you’re making decisions :-)