Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krisbry

To hearth or not to hearth

Kristin S
4 years ago

We're building a new home and have a gas fireplace in the master bedroom. It will have a stone facing and wood mantle. The bedroom will have wall-to-wall carpet, and we'd planned to run it up to the bottom edge of the stone facing, but I'm second guessing myself. Would it be better to have a stone hearth flush with the carpet to which it would run? Obviously this isn't necessary with this sort of insert, but I'm wondering if it makes it look more authentic, or is just a matter of preference.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Add a raised hearth on which to sit.

Kristin S thanked User
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

Can you show the drawings of the space? I’d probably run into it all the time so for me it would be a no.

Kristin S thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • Kristin S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The only floor plan I can find is out of date and doesn't show the current layout of this room (the architect updated the window and fireplace locations during framing to allow for some views we unexpectedly discovered were available with a slight rearranging). My computer and I had a little battle when I tried to update the image myself, and I was not the winner.

A raised hearth would likely feel tight in the space, so we eliminated that option. Also, I would indeed trip over it at some point.

Because the fireplace is about six inches off the ground, we're in the clear on combustible materials either way. There will be a black stone facing on all four sides of the glass.

This is the look we're going for if we go without a hearth (if this area rug were wall-to-wall carpet). Ours will have a wider stone facing and less metals showing, as the manufacturer allows stone right up to the glass, but otherwise a pretty similar look, though we'll have windows on both sides rather than the sconces and shelves shown here.

This shows the type of hearth we're considering, though ours would likely be black stone.

There will be a seating area directly in front of the fire (we use our master bedroom sitting area nightly), and behind it the bed.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

No hearth

Kristin S thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • Kristin S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, my computer and I reached a truce and I managed to get a VERY rough layout put together.

My husband will be pleased with the "no hearth" votes, as he's not a fan of the idea.