Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unapulgita

Obsessed with this Blakes London kitchen, help me replicate it

unapulgita
4 years ago

I'm on a tight budget and have expensive taste. Help! This Blakes London kitchen is one of my most favorite things I've ever seen. Swoon, swoon, swoon!

Old Meets New in Notting Hill | lark & linen · More Info

Old Meets New in Notting Hill | lark & linen · More Info

We are remodeling our condo's kitchen and we close on the property within the next two weeks. I'm sourcing everything myself.

We're using Cabinet Joint for the cabinets and it seems they're able to replicate the cabinet style but not the door style, in general I'm feeling good about my cabinet outlook. But everything else is up in the air.

I love the paint color but have no idea how to start finding one that matches this look. I'll want to match my cabinets to my wall color exactly. Cabinet Joint has a partnership with Sherwin Williams so I'm pretty sure I'll need to use their palate. Any one know of a great ivory like this inspo kitchen?

How do I replicate this amazing dramatic marble?! Got a quote for paonazzo marble and it is DOUBLE what I was hoping to pay. What can i get for 2-3K that could fit this style? I've probably got about 10 feet of length.

And what do I do about the floors! I'm worried that any tile I find will clash with the rest of the colors. I was thinking the Ivy Hill Russel tile but I've read that it is more grey than white. How do I spend less than $1200 on my floor and have it look bangin'?! I've got almost 160 square feet to cover. Our lifestyle doesn't provide for hardwood in the kitchen and I love smaller tiles.

Any hardware recommendations?

What's the cheapest way to trim the ceiling?

This is such a big project and I'm so overwhelmed! Thanks for any help!

Comments (12)

• lynartist
    4 years ago

What’s not to like! Unfortunately there’s nothing tight budget in that kitchen at all!!!!

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

So...tune it down. All of it. A laminate kitchen counter and PAINTED 'water fall' can be done. Remember all that 'paint effects' done in the 80s and 90s? Right. Go learn how to make this marbled look work. And you do not have to have a water fall counter. You can have a regular counter while painting the back of the cabinet boxes to give the same effect. Cost? Very little.

Remember: Flooring is expensive for a reason. It is HEAVILY abused. Save some money elsewhere so that you can get a moderate to decent level of flooring.

Do you need herring bone? No. Do you need the COLOUR? Yes. So go out and find a colour of sheet vinyl that is a decent match to the lime washed wood in the inspiration pics.

Remember: you are in love with the LIGHT WHITE well light bright airy appearance. So go ahead and duplicate the FEELING not the fixtures. Save money on the cabinet doors and trim by using less expensive options. Did you know you can PAINT on the effects? Yep. Painted FX are awesome! And once guests figure it out, they are even MORE amazed at the appearance.

You can use low-cost doors in the right colour to start with. And then paint away until you can't stand it any more. Heck. Hire an art student to paint on the effects. You will save $5K and help pay for someone's living expenses for semester! Win-Win.

The way to figure out what is important to you is to squint at the photo. As things fade away, you will find the BONES of the inspiration...not the fluff. Once you strip away the expensive fluff you will expose the items that you can mimic using less expensive items.

Paint...paint...paint + a sheet vinyl with the same COLOUR tone as the herring bone. You will be right on track. You will still need to budget $10-$15/sf for the flooring. Any lower and you are playing with plywood.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That is one of my favorite kitchens too! I have poured over it and studied it at length myself. There is no way to replicate that look on a budget. Plus so much of what makes this kitchen breathtaking is inherent to the architecture of the house. Even with a healthy budget that kitchen is not going to look as stunning in a regular house.

If I were you I would look at more modern, simple kitchens you could replicate with IKEA and then maybe splurge on a slab backsplash in that gorgeous paonazetto marble.

Lindsey Adleman has DIY instruction for copying her branch chandeliers.

Look at Siematic, and bulthaup for inspiration, then copy away with a smaller budget.

I know that is a vastly different direction, but you could do it well, and that matters more than trying to imitate the inimitable.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

PS This is in all likelihood a Grade II listed townhouse is Central London. It cannot be translated into a condo.

PPS There is a poster here who has done a gorgeous white kitchen with quartz counters and that marble for slab backsplash. It looks gorgeous.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

cheapest way to trim a ceiling? take a class and learn how to DIY. or get a friend who can work w/wood and a saw.

as for the marble countertops, why not save up a few for months to increase the budget?

go to a stone yard and walk around and see if there is another slab you like?

or, look into porcelain. this slab was about $2000 and looked exactly like marble

you could also look at pre-fab marble countertops,

but you could spend the money for some high end laminate that looks like marble

Formica:

what do you want for the floors? i mean, what look are you trying to achieve? I can't see what's in the picture.

Your lifestyle doesn't provide for hardwood?? what does that even mean? Do have a roller derby in your home? (heck, even they skate on hardwood. lol)

what is the flooring in the rest of the house or what the kitchen will but up to?

• cawaps
    4 years ago
  • roarah
    4 years ago

Lpv, wood and tile layed in a herringbone is a huge labor upgrade charge. Many of the affordable LPVs and tiles specifically say not to lay in a herringbone pattern so even fake might be very out of budget. I know this because my 13 x8 herringbone tile in my bathroom cost three times your floor budget with labor three years ago and labor prices are more now generally. If you go cheap you will have lippage that will prevent the high end look you adore.

Does your condo have historic plaster elsewhere? If not this could turn into Harold and thePurple Crayon very quickly. It is a beautiful kitchen but is realistically out of range and more importantly out of place in most moderate abodes. Maybe pick one or two aspects that you incorporate into your redo, imitation lights are easy to source on a budget and a pantry cabinet wall is also a unique feature that you can do.

Good luck.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

The effect of this kitchen is about the space, not the individual features to buy and install, and the space is not match-able.

Do you have the same room proportions (it's very English, not American)? Do you have the same height walls? The same size windows? The same light quality coming through the windows? The same ceiling fixtures? The sculptural detail in the ceiling? How about the strips of egg-and-dart trim? All the other cornice trim rows, layered and painted just exactly so?

Above all, London weather, which has a certain quality of light (e.g. nowhere in England is far from the sea)? IMO, English natural light is NOT AT ALL American light, and London has a very special thing going.

Without those, you can't come close to a match for that kitchen, no matter what you do, 'cos everything in that room depends on light and shadow.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

You can mimic the color tones . Why don’t you put a deeper counter and rest a hutch cabinet assembly down to the counter w a wood species veneered interior and leave door off . Display fine English China . The rest of cabinetry in full overlay and drawers below . Half the allure is wanting to see what’s behind the doors ... so gussy up some open shelves ... take travel trips and display things you bring back in your suitcases. ... or your own family vintage stuff.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

You may want to hire a designer to help you get the “ feel” of your dream kitchen on your budget in a scaled down version. The problem with inspiration photos is most of us don’t have the$$$ or the size homes to pull these looks off. The actual scale of your dream kitchen and the detail work involved would certainly be prohibitive before you even start. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have a kitchen that evokes the feel of the inspiration photo. It would take careful planning and a scaled back look that would be appropriate to the size of your space. That means scaling back that cabinet profile details etc. Scale is a huge factor in that kitchen. It won’t translate so well into a smaller space.

• unapulgita
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lots of great advice here. Thank you all. I'm not under the impression that I'm going to get this kitchen on the cheap, but am hoping to incorporate some of the awesomeness found here.

The condo itself if a big, vintage charmer circa 1900. It has 9.5 foot ceilings, original floors, original built-ins, original trim along the floors, gorgeous lighting with enormous windows with original trim. A good aesthetic match.

Regarding the floors, the original floors in the kitchen are in bad shape with warping and seperation. I think its time to replace but maybe there is some solution I'm not aware of. We also have terrible dogs and I just love the look of small tiled kitchen floors. We are thinking of going with a smallish elongated hexagon in white.

Great advice on the countertops, Beth. I guess I'll just start cruising the stone yards for porcelain.

Thanks for the ideas, herbflavor. Veneered interiors in the cabinet is something I will certainly investigate.

Thanks all!