Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbruning

Help with furniture arrangement and lightening family room

bbruning
4 years ago

I recently removed old armoire with old TV and replaced it with a flat screen TV on mantle. I am struggling with furniture arrangement and I'm wanting to lighten room. I'm thinking about a light paint wash over fireplace - and would like to either reupholster the matching chairs and/or replace furniture with possibly a sectional? My hubby is attached to the library paneling, so that has to stay. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (11)

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

you have a fabulous room and I love the paneling. I think you can absolutely lighten the room up with reupholstering the chairs. I might also consider new blinds, specifically a lighter fabric shade, maybe rethink the coffee table and maybe as well more lighting like table and floor lamps... a couple inspiration pics with light colors. I might start with those types of changes before doing anything to the fireplace just because that's a more permanent change.

Victorian Living Room · More Info

Family Room · More Info

bbruning thanked Theresa Janssen
  • bbruning
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much - I totally agree with the monochromatic dark tone of the room. The only chairs would reupholster are the matching set - I would replace the dark couch and likely replace the recliner too. - Any thoughts on arranging the furniture? Or thoughts on a sectional?

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

a few question... is the sofa currently centered with the tv? it's hard to tell how close the ottoman is to the couch and tv. also, is the door functional where the recliner is? can you take a pic from the tv out. I ask to see to better understand if a sectional could work? how many people generally use the room at one time and how is it generally used, just tv watching or entertaining?

bbruning thanked Theresa Janssen
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

beautiful room (the wood). Way way too much brown.

In this case I think color and fabric is going to make a huge diff. right now everything is brown and tan and it all blends. You desperately need some color. for the bookshelves, try bringing in a few lighter objects. doesn't have to be jumbled, just a few well placed objects like here

then for the room, how about a light rug? some artwork? pillows, a throw? new chair fabric?
    look at this room and imagine if the furniture was all brown and their were tan *gasp*, mini blinds? would look blah. at least there is some color and interest.

your room is too regal for mini blinds on that beautiful window. I'd take those down and replace them. color. even bringing in a rug like this would do wonders for your room

another brown wood wall. it has color and the lighter furniture breaks it up

this one is beautiful.

the black in the artwork, the warm deep orange drapery look amazing w/the wood, the lilac and soft green are interesting choices, lol, but it works

The rug. the rug does a lot

the one above has the same type of leather that you do, but the gray sofa, light rug and artwork help balance out all of the wood.

bbruning thanked Beth H. :
  • lynartist
    4 years ago

Ohhh, poor brown room! Nice paneled walls though. Nothing some lighting and color can’t fix!😉 send hubby away for the weekend 😂

bbruning thanked lynartist
  • bbruning
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How cool - I love the photoshopped replacements - Thanks so much!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

the blues and creams would be very pretty. then find a rug that goes with it with a little color

• bbruning
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Love it! Thanks!

• bbruning
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the view from the fireplace - Yes, that is a functioning door to a finished basement behind the recliner- The recliner is not is a great spot! This room is used primarily for TV/movies - usually 3-4 people, but occasionally 7 people when everyone is home.

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    4 years ago

Often overlooked is how much a solid brass fireplace accessories can brighten up a room because the fireplace is such a focal point.

Shown with solid brass custom fireplace screen and antique recreation andirons.

Solid brass fireplace doors in a less brassy hand polished finish.