Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myliberation

Galley Kitchen Backsplash

myliberation
4 years ago

Hello Interior Decorating/Design Folks,

I came across a backsplash that is totally my style; however, I’m not sure if it’s too busy for a small galley townhouse kitchen. The theme of my townhouse is quite eclectic and folk.

Also, is it possible to install a backsplash on top of the existing?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• Sammie J
    4 years ago

What do your countertops, cabinets, and flooring look like? I would pull off the old backsplash before installing the new.

• eam44
    4 years ago

As Sammie says, it's not the size of the space, really, but the nature of the other elements in it that will determine whether this bs is too busy. It is possible to install a new bs over an old one, but the correct way to proceed would be to pull off the old bs. Is there a reason you don't want to do that? Please show us an image of your space.

Interesting tile - the surface looks like it's made up of images of old tiles...

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Post photos of you kitchen and also, is there a photo of this tile from further away? As I'm guessing that from further away it will look different than close up like your photo posted.

• myliberation
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is a photo of my kitchen.

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Are you keeping the countertop and short backsplash? If so, yes, I think the tile is too busy. If you are replacing the countertop with something simple, the new backsplash could work.

I actually love patchwork style tiles, but they should be paired with simpler elements. The backsplash then becomes the central design element.

• myliberation
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flopsycat1 > I’m planning on keeping the countertop. I want to jazz up my kitchen without making significant changes. I bought my place almost 9 years ago and it was newly renovated. That said, I would like to keep the main parts of the kitchen.

• PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    4 years ago

One way to check if you like it is to print several copies of the photo of the tile and tape it up on the wall. I will say that putting tile on top of tile is not generally recommended.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

Pulling that Formica off and getting even solid surface w a siingle sink would improve things without huge expense or trouble. Paint some semi gloss wipe able paint on the backsplash and your beautiful cabinets will become stars. They really are nice and the Formica is just ho hum Next to them.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

New counter very plain then add those tiles for the backsplash. BTW no you can’t install those over the old and IMO not with those counters at all.

• sheepla
    4 years ago

Absolutely adore that backsplash but no it doesn't go with your current counters.

• eam44
    4 years ago

Herb is right. You have a compact, efficient kitchen and upgrading the counters with solid surface would make a huge impact for relatively little outlay. It would also allow you to tile your backsplash.

I understand you don't want to change your counters, but if you keep them, keep in mind that you already have an integrated 4" backsplash. If you keep your counters with bs, the tile that is currently there, that should not have been set in the first place, should go, and the wall smoothed and painted.

• rachann61
    4 years ago

So if you decide to not change the countertop what if you found a tile that has more white in it. I see there is a white dishwasher. I assume the other appliances are white also. What about Mexican tile?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths