Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

My sectional came today tell me what you think

lorishopaholic
4 years ago

I fInally decided on the chestnut sectional and here it is. I changed my mind on the co

lor a few times and I’m sure the furniture store wanted to choke me😬 Do I need to add another piece to make it longer on the side by the bookcase? That would make both sides of the sectional equal. I moved it up a few feet but it still seems like a large open area. My side table is too tall for this sofa do need to figure out something for that or just not have one. Would love your ideas please! Last picture shows it moved up.

Comments (25)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! The dogs are over me moving everything around. 🤣

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

You have a beautiful home. It is a large sectional in a large room so it does work. But..I would first center your rug in the room with the fireplace and the kitchen opening. I would also think about turning the sectional so that you have a view of the outside and the tv rather than a wall. Unless you are putting a console table behind it I would place the sectional so the backs are closer to the edges of the rug

lorishopaholic thanked Cheryl Smith
  • lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m kind of in a dilemma because if I move the sofa back it‘s so far away from the tv and closes of that opening more. i don’t really want a console behind because we have a console right under the horse picture and th are t just seems like overkill. I wonder if I should invest in a smaller rug?

• wsea
    4 years ago

Turn the rug the other direction and then move the sectional up closer to the fireplace. It looks very disjointed so far away.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If I turn the rug it basically would go wall to wall and right thru our main walk area in front of that console it leads to foyer and to the back bedrooms

• AC LB
    4 years ago

Gorgeous!!!

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• wsea
    4 years ago

Can you show that missing wall? from the pictures provided it looks like a lot of empt space for the walk. Maybe tape out the rug turned and take a photo to share.

lorishopaholic thanked wsea
  • Jilly
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I really like the color of leather you chose, looks great!

I mocked-up a smaller rug, just because I was curious how it might look. I’m still not sure. Then I did a layered sisal rug. And again, I can’t decide if I like it or not. Big help, huh? :D

Anyway, not these exact rugs, but to show sizes:

lorishopaholic thanked Jilly
  • Jilly
    4 years ago

Hmm, no. Disregard. It muddles things up, I like just your big rug.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Jinx that is so nice of you! I’m not sure either 🤣 I almost think without the big rug it looks like a lot of empty floor space?

• Jilly
    4 years ago

Yes, I do, too (so much empty floor space). And I think your adorable doggies would miss it! 😄

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wsea- it doesn’t look like it but the room actually measures 20 x19. 20 is length from the fireplace to the kitchen opening walls. The rug currently almost takes up the whole length as it measures 18’2 so if you visualize it turned it def would take up most of the area. Which missing wall pic were you wanting? This shows the main walkway if that helps. Thats the foyer on the left and the doorway straight leads to bedrooms. Thank you for your help.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jinx- the pups would miss it! I pulled it forward a bit but I’m wondering is it a decorating no no to have extra rug hanging out the back? Either way the sofa almost floats on the rug as opposed to most people have their sofa at the edge of the rug if that makes sense. You can see what I mean in the above picture.

• wsea
    4 years ago

Ahh that helps a lot seeing the walkway. I agree turning it would not work. I think a shorter rug might be in order. I don’t think you'll have too much empty space behind the sectional. Maybe move the sectional up and roll the extra rug up behind it to get a visual of the space.

• Susan Murin
    4 years ago

I would place a chair, small side table, and floor lamp over on that far corner of rug. Then rug will look appropriately sized to your furniture arrangement, and your furniture to your room. Or move sectional forward and get a smaller rug. BTW your sectional is lovely- and I generally don’t like leather sectionals!

lorishopaholic thanked Susan Murin
  • lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Susan Murin- the corner in front of the bookcase?

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Center the big rug. Move the sectional closer to the fireplace. Then, have 2 swivel lounge chairs with a round side table between them behind the sofa (on a conversational angle) but facing the kitchen. Don’t worry if the sectional falls off the centered rug.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Almost like this arrangement (but only 2 lounge chairs). Have these be in a light linen like fabric (no more leather). The room is salvageable- just start by centering the rug. The sectional needs to be away from the windows a bit more - I know you said it was too close to the console table but it could go a bit closer so it feels more centered.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thinkdesignlive- thank you that’s a great suggestion. When I center the rug should it be centered in the actual room or centered on the fireplace. unfortunately the fireplace is not centered. Also the rug will hand over in the main walk way to the foyer is that okay? I believe that’s why I have it currently pulled to the right more if your facing the tv. I was afraid of impeding that walk way and being half on rug half not while walking thru.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

I love all your choices, it looks wonderful. I think what you've done is just right for you.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Well then keep the sectional on the rug but then scootch the whole thing a bit away from the windows (and sectional closer to the fireplace) - maybe a bench such as this instead of the lounge chairs if it gets a bit tight.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

Thanks for adding more pictures it helps make more sense in the floor plan. Maybe add a couple chairs but you've got the right idea

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!