Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tam75

Hot and cold water controls on side of sink?

Tam Glunt
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m remodeling my bathroom and saw this picture with the faucet in the back of the sink and the water controls on the side. Does anyone like this for my bathroom (I’d get it in polished chrome):

Here is a 3D rendering of wall with vanities, which currently has wall-mounted faucets pictured:

Here is a picture of the wall-mounted faucet that is included in the 3D rendering:

I haven’t purchased any faucets yet so please let me know what you think. Thank you in advance 😊😊 and so sorry that the pictures aren’t super crisp

Comments (11)

• AJCN
    4 years ago

I think having the controls on the side would be akward and in the way while doing routine bathroom things. But I really like the wall mounted fixtures you showed with the controls either on the fixture or on the wall.

Tam Glunt thanked AJCN
  • Design Girl
    4 years ago

That seems weird to me.

Tam Glunt thanked Design Girl
  • Renata Palfy
    4 years ago

I love what you currently have, as it allows for more clear space and creates cleaner lines around the sink.

Although the side placement of taps would be unique, it might feature better in a bathroom without symmetrical vanities.

Tam Glunt thanked Renata Palfy
  • strategery
    4 years ago

Weird. Good luck with that. Please report back with your experiences.

Tam Glunt thanked strategery
  • Nancy in Mich
    4 years ago

What climate do you live in? With an outside wall (re: window above tub), you cannot have wall mounted faucets in the northern latitudes. Is this part of why you are looking to change your design? If so, I support the change. Dornbracht makes the MEM lavatory faucet with a single lever mixer attached to the side. Have you considered that?

Tam Glunt thanked Nancy in Mich
  • Tam Glunt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi @Nancy in Mich

I live in Southern California so the exterior wall isn’t an issue. I saw the picture of the Mem with the controls on the side of the sink and thought it might be easier to clean if the controls were farther away from the faucet itself and I guess I just thought the picture looked unique. I’ve seen the Mem faucet with the mixer on the side of the faucet, but didn’t consider it because turning off the water with wet hands would likely wet the faucet as well so I’d have more to clean/wipe dry. I‘ve ordered the freestanding Mem tub filler and all the shower fixtures. I’m just stuck on the faucets for the sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

" ...you cannot have wall mounted faucets in the northern latitudes"

Sure you can. That's why God provided spray foam insulation in a can.

Tam Glunt thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Nancy in Mich
    4 years ago

I had no idea that it would insulate well enough. I had pipes freeze in a built-in bench inside a exterior wall during a deep freeze when a renter forgot I had told her to leave the bench open on cold, cold nights.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"faucet in the back of the sink and the water controls on the side"

• Pipes on wall are not be located for this.
    • Useful counter space would be taken up by the valves.
    • Valves would get more gunk on them than if they were at the back.
    • Hot valve ahead of cold valve (or reverse) would not be intuitive.
    • A single temperature/volume control is preferable.
    Tam Glunt thanked wdccruise
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

We had the controls and the faucet on the side in this tiny bathroom I did not find it ideal but was needed in that spot.

Tam Glunt thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting