Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Thanks, Plllog & Lindac

petalique
4 years ago

I’m not able to publish response to thread about that ”bird.” Anyone else having trouble posting?

Comments (16)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

Did you happen to use the word br***t to refer to the part of the bird? The auto filter will catch and flag the post. On the weekend there isn't anyone there to say okay and release the post.

petalique thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • User
    4 years ago

We can't say chicken breast?

petalique thanked User
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    4 years ago

LOL

petalique thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have been flagged for saying the "word". I could see the post, but if I logged out, it was not there.

ETA: I thought it was stupid and maybe they have fixed it, but with everything else that get messed up with cooking and gardening, who knows.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

I think the only thing that the PTB are interested in is, "Oh, should I use gray or white subway tile?" "My life will end if I make the wrong decision!"

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

that part of the bird also is known as the 'keel' ...

petalique thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • plllog
    4 years ago

I think it may filter for the word by itself, but allow it in conjunction with "chicken" (maybe duck or turkey?). There's always "brisket"! :)

I'm glad if I was able to help. How did the bird come out?

petalique thanked plllog
  • petalique
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, tigereye. That’s an interesting heads up, especially given the WH verbiage and the half time entertainment at the Super Bowl, played back on family hour network news. Close ups of the two scantily and lacy clad athletic talents, hind-parts a jiggling closeups. I am not a prude, although a tad conservative about certain things.

Can we say a celebrity or potitical figure, or comedian is a silly dweeb, or silly boob?

remember that decade’s old stick-like juvenile drawing of two men walking abreast?

Another post to a different forum, totally different subject, also failed to publish. I might look through the saved draft to see if there are any unintentional sensitive words in it. The world seems upside down some days. Can science and research be discussed? (Kidding, pretty much.) But what if a new therapy is found to be very successful in threading “bre**t cancer? The algorithm would accept that, I’m sure. Hmm maybe it’s ”duc* bre**t” — a combination of two, maybe bad sounds or words.

The people who post here regularly are such good cooks. There’s always something interesting.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

Just don't ever post the nickname for Richard.

ETA: How did the d**k br***t turn out?

• petalique
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Plllog, the roasted chopped bone flesh carcass in the Dutch oven gave a lot of delicious, pristine fat. The skin on that roasty never got crisp and the meat, though flavorful was a tad salty (I did wash off the thyme, garlic, sale gris marinade. The parts reminded me a bit of high school biology disections, without the formaldehyde odor.

The stock I made was delicious. ? What might I make with it that is healthful, low saturated fat, low sodium?

The two duck “keel” halves with skin were delicious. I scored the skin, used a bit of the ecru colored fragrant duck fat and a teaspoon of olive oil. Got the pan hot. Added the “keels” (great word as I love boats) and crisped the attached skin. I made a sauce with tart sour cherries for them. Yes, btw, I flipped the keel halves over, drained off some of the fat (was I supposed to?). I roasted potatoes and put some of the pristine, filtered ecru colored fat on them. Delicious. Medium rare, absolutely fantastic, even a few bites the next day, cold from the fridge.

After all that saturated fat, I feel as though I should detoxify with something. Maybe a pint or organic blueberries, orange segments and kale.

I gave one of my frozen ducks to a friend (he loves loves duck) and I have a couple left in the freezer. I will try to make Peking Duck with one, and maybe the Inna Gartner roast with the other.

Delicious, but I thinks it’s easier to shell out four lobster, every single bit. But I’ve lots of experience with H. americanus, and this was my very first attempt a cooking quackery.

• plllog
    4 years ago

LOL!! I love "cooking quackery"!

Thanks for the report. I kept thinking "ecru?" but these were wild duck, right? so colored by chlorophyll in the diet? Think of the nice things you mentioned like oranges and kale as "counterparts" rather than detox. :) I often eat like that. I've had this category so it's time for something from that category. BTW, if your skin is suffering from Winter dryness, applying duck fat both inside and out should help. :)

Re the stock, chill or freeze and skim it and it'll be low in fat. If it's too salty, the only thing you can do is dilute it. If it wants more salt, try adding celery. From there, stock is stock. I'm thinking duck stock might go well with winter squash, pepper (both hot and sweet), Asian spices, I'm imagining ripe and fragrant pears, but I'd have to try it and see if it were as good as it sounds in my head. Also, cook rice in it if the rice will be the star. Add some to a braising liquid. Etc. It depends on how much stock you have/will have, and how ducky you want to make your cooking.

Last year I made a whole roasted Christmas goose. It was enough of an adventure. I'm impressed that you did all those different preparations on your first duck! Re draining off the fat, you were supposed to do what you thought to do--you're an experienced cook. If you'd left it, you might have had enough for confit. By draining it off, you get pan roasted. Whether you were supposed to depends on which outcome you wanted. You got delicious. Not much better than that! I always know how great a recipe is if it's good cold from the fridge as well as right off the heat. Sounds like you have a winner.

Duck or goose fat, especially seasoned from the cookpot, is fantastic on potatoes. If that gives them enough flavor and richness that you're not reaching for the butter, there's no guilt. Moo or quack, fat is fat.

petalique thanked plllog
  • petalique
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Domestic duck — Long Island, Pekin. Six pound duck, frozen, on sale = ~$13

The first decanted fat, pristine after broth and fat refrigerated overnight. I could just “peel” the 1.5” , 9” diameter from the gelatinized broth. Color was a pale, yelowish hued, fine (not granular), melt in mouth (or fingertip). Fragrant of thyme, garlic, gray sea salt. Absolutely Devine.

I have been advised to not partake of sodium, triglycerides, trans fats and saturated fats if I want to remain healthy. I’ve gotta tell ya, some days the choice is easier than others.

My friend makes delicious cassoulet with the broth — with sausage* and duck, white beans, etc.. I love good sausages, and cheeses, and pate’. I’ve had to quit a lot of thing, sob, sob. French sweet butter, triple cream cheeses, and so on. But I don’t think I’d be a happy sport with the potentIal consequences. Once in a while, I indulge. But I can’t go all silly glutton. I already tripped out on the world’s best prime rib over Christmas. And it’s about all I can do not to head north to a good Chinese restaurant for the best peppercorn fried calimari. I’ve instructed the cops to pull me over if they see me turning into that restaurant’s parking lot.

I’ve had to clear words like “charcuterie” from my Siri commands.

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

If you washed the duck, did you dry the skin thoroughly and let it air for a bit to get really dry? If not, that may be why it didn't crisp.

I think the roasted potatoes and duck fat thing is that you roast the potatoes _in_ the duck fat, or at least, that's what I do.

petalique thanked colleenoz
  • plllog
    4 years ago

It can be either. Roast potatoes in the fat, or just drizzle a little fat over them for flavor.

Petalique, I'm so sorry about the restrictions. I think it's going to be easier to gain a delight for Tuscan bread (no salt in that) dipped in olive oil full of chopped garlic than to de-salt/fat your old favorites. Duck doesn't lend itself to this. Maybe poke some slits in the skin and spit roast it, so all the fat can drip into the pan? Season with strong herbs instead of salt? Freeze the fat for use in tiny bits, only.

petalique thanked plllog
  • petalique
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Colleenoz, Ah! I think you’re onto something. Probably not dry enough. And, wow, you roast the taters IN the duck fat.

Thanks for the suggestions, Plllog and the sympathy ;-) I’m more “mature” now, so, to remain healthy, I must pay attention.

Someone (Elmer) was commenting a while back on these vertical cooking supports for roast chicken. That might be a good way to roast a Peking Duck after I’ve used an air pump or compressor to separate the skin from the fat. I think colleen-oz made a good point. Even though patted dry, quackette seemed too hydrated.

It is 60 deg F in the shade today, zone 5a New England. The chipmunks thawed out and are milling around. I am not going to be trapping and cooking them.