Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vmiley21

Color to dining room mantle

Veronica
4 years ago

I have a beautiful dining room mantle however I want to add a little color to the room as it pretty much consists of whites and grays. I am up for replacing what I have there now but what could I add to show pops color. Could it be florals or pictures?

Comments (9)

• Veronica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It does, thanks

• Jilly
    4 years ago

It is a beautiful area! I saw an outlet, so maybe a small lamp? I think some pottery, baskets for texture, low bowls ... all in earthy colors, nothing garish. I love plants — if there’s enough light in there, you could have something green like that. You could also try something with antique gold/brass, candlesticks for instance. Obviously, I don’t mean add every one of those things, just throwing ideas out. :)

I like how edited you have it, very tasteful, and I think you’ll know just what to add to brighten it up a bit.

• deegw
    4 years ago

Pops of color are going to change the feel of the room. I agree that adding texture and organic decor would add interest and personality without disrupting the vibe of the room. Chunky baskets, a vase with branches, a tray of succulents, white birch logs in the fireplace, etc.

Do you have a rug under the table? That would be another way to add subtle texture and pattern to the room.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

I would replace the mirror with a large piece of art in colors you love.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

I agree with ShadyWillowFarm about replacing the mirror. The fireplace (and what's above it) should really be a focal point. Right now the mirror just reflects the other end of the room. A painting with color would certainly add pop and interest. It doesn't have to be bold, vivid color. More subtle colors would work IMO. I would also suggest adding subtle color to the accessories on either side of the fireplace with perhaps some small pops of more vivid color. Good luck!

• Jilly
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I respectfully disagree with replacing the mirror with art. The mirror gives the area a nice level of calm dimension, as well as breaking up an entire wall of built-ins without being jarring. A piece of art there, imo, would look odd, forced, and flat ... and compete with everything else. To me, the mirror looks very tasteful, thoughtfully intentional, and natural in that spot.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Large books laid flat could bring some horizontal bands of color. Old books, like dictionaries or encyclopedias with staid bindings, not flashy modern coffee table books.

• socks
    4 years ago

I like the mirror. It adds variety to the display. I like the other ideas presented here. Beautiful mantel. Some books could go there too, interesting bookends.