Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adina_goldberg

Living Room Layout: Create More Seating?

Adina Goldberg
4 years ago

Should I swap the blue chair with a long bench that extends beneath the window? Is there another arrangement I can do with this already-existing furniture that will look better?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago

What is this room used for? How many seats do you really need?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

How many do you need to seat together here every day? Both rooms look to have radiators under those white covers, but you mentioned putting a bench at the window, so can the white cover be moved? If it can, put the sofa under the window and float the two slipper chairs facing it with their backs to the kitchen door. Anchor seating on a colorful rug that slips under the front 1/3 of the sofa and is large enough for the two chairs to sit entirely on. Remove the tab top valance;it looks too casual and is not full enough to hang there. You need bigger art properly hung much, much lower. If you have room, try the print chair from the other room instead of the blue one. You will just have to see where it could be slipped in once the other pieces are in place.

• Adina Goldberg
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Every day, there are just four of us sitting, but on weekends, we have company (8 - 10 adults plus kids running around).

The radiators cannot be moved. I was asking if I put a bench in the corner and it extended out under the window almost until it reached the radiator, how that would look. The sofa has to stay where it is; it's the only wall where it will fit.

I will try the large b&w print chair in place of the blue one - good eye! I wasn't sure about the mixed patterns, is all.

Any suggestions for rug color?

(The room was set up with different furniture - as a dining room - previously, so the art and valance were hung to fit that space. We will change all of that once the furniture is properly placed. Thank you!)

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Can you open up some walls to make more of an open concept? Maybe the room posted and the room with the B&W chair.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

What is the room with the red chair? Invest in a pad of graph paper and draw, to scale, the room or rooms you have for sitting/entertaining, including drawing the radiators and doors and windows.

Is this a dining room and a separate living room beside it that you're not using as a dining room? If so, is the wall between the two rooms a weight bearing wall and would it be in your budget to remove the walls or re-create the wider wall as a pony wall / bookcase room divider?

If the wall behind the sofa could be mostly opened up -- leaving half wall and post w/light switch next to it, you'd have "more seating" for guests to be a part of the same conversation -- a double room? Perhaps the window between living/dining could be a table height bar with a bench or other seating there behind a sofa on one side or the other -- or both sides.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

So, leave the sofa where it is and get a nice big piece of art to hang 5" above it. Put the two slipper chairs flanking the rad cover, and angle the print chair from the other room in the corner across from the sofa. The slipper chairs should angle right up next to the rad cover where you can add a table lamp and some simple decor item. Get a long cord installed on the lamp and buy a white cord cover that follows the baseboard around to the outlet on the right side where you can plug in the lamp. IYou have more room on the left side so add a floor lamp there using thar outlet. Set the gray hassock out in front of the rad cover where the chair occupants can reach it, and place a tray on top with some decor, maybe coasters for people's drinks. When you have more guests, remove the tray so someone can sit down. That should seat 7 when you have company. You could buy a pair of soft poufs or fabric hassocks to store in a closet or under a bed and bring out when more people must be seated.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    4 years ago

I think you could do a bench in a similar fabric (color or patterned with same color incl. as sofa) on the wall crosswise from sofa, with another ottoman in front to double as seating when needed. See basic drawing on your pic attached.

• Adina Goldberg
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you all so much for the great ideas! The wall behind the sofa has a fireplace, so we couldn't knock it down, and opening up just one side will leave the other side of the fireplace looking uneven.

We are definitely changing the art and window treatment once we have the furniture placed. :-)

I love how you all noticed the chair in the other room. It's an enormous chair and will not fit in one of the living room corners (but it will fit to the right of the radiator). I will play with what we have, using your suggestions, to see what we like best. Thank you so much!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH