Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicki_ashmore

Front porch design

Nicki Ashmore
4 years ago

Not sure what to do with porch columns on my home. Should we go with 6 or 8 in wide square columns? Should we do 4 or 6 columns? Should we add brick?

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Do you need pillars since I don’t see even ones to hold up the roof now. Your architect should be involved with this IMO so a bit more info is needed I think.

• Nicki Ashmore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We will be adding columns/pillars to the design shown. Looking for advice on what to do looks wise.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

PPF's bottom version and yes, make sure there's a "beam" to look like it's holding up the porch.

• Nicki Ashmore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ok, thank you for the input. The height is 9 feet total. Not sure we have room for a beam.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Without the beam, the columns will look pasted on. The beam should be 8"-12" deep so yes, you have room for a beam.

• Nicki Ashmore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, thank you!

• Nicki Ashmore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Can someone give me a visual of an 8in column please??

• PRO
    PPF.
    4 years ago

• just_janni
    4 years ago

go bigger. it's details and substance like that, that will truly enhance your home. You want your structure to look like it was built to last. hefty columns convey that feeling of quality and permanence. it's a subtle visual reminder of quality.

• Nicki Ashmore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! The porch is 46 ft wide. Is this a good representation?

• PRO
    PPF.
    4 years ago

The image is 43'

• Nicki Ashmore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great! This helps me a lot. I appreciate your help.

• Nicki Ashmore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I want to give out the exact dimensions of my porch to make sure I understand all the great suggestions. It's 46 feet wide, 9 feet tall and 6 feet deep. Will 6 - 8in columns work the best?

• PRO
    Hanover Custom Homes, LLC
    4 years ago

10" at least.

I like Greek Revival look and would use 12" square columns, 14-16" if round.

• lyfia
    4 years ago

Beefier columns generally look better. Minimum 8", but I think 10" would look better.

• Nicki Ashmore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What about adding brick to the bottom 3feet? Can anyone give me a visual of that?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Some visual. I did not understand about brick. It seems to me you already have it.

• Nicki Ashmore
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Something like this...

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

This is something that I am just curious about. When I see a " new build" post like this I am amazed that this was not determined at the outset in order to determine costs. How does a builder , or even the homeowner, know what to charge or how much you will pay?

We have our own custom built home, and we have built many spec homes. Most all choices were made before a contract was signed or ground was broken. Is this not the case for most new homes?

This is not meant to criticize, but only to educate me!

• cpartist
    4 years ago

What about adding brick to the bottom 3feet? Can anyone give me a visual of that?

Your house is not a craftsman. Don't try and make it a pseudo craftsman builders special by adding brick to the lower columns.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Wow a wide porch like this and only 6’ deep what are you plan on doing with it other than chairs lined up and min. 8” posts .

• shead
    4 years ago

You definitely need a header or your columns will look very odd.

This is our last house. We redid the exterior right before we moved. The porch was 64' wide and we used 8" columns. I wouldn't go less than 8" in your case and I might go up to 10". I'd do 6 of them total like PPF's last visual.

It scares me a little that you have that whole porch cantilevered off right now without anything to support it. I'm sure you used trusses as ours was but we were told that there was still some weight in the cantilevered porch roof that needed to be supported. We had to have a structural beam over the columns.

• lyfia
    4 years ago

You don't have space to have brick on the columns. This would take away from the 6' depth you have and would leave you with 4.5' feet at the most.