Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooke_drakesmith

kitchen island makeover

Question about my kitchen island makeover. What color would you paint the island? I was going to add the extra molding like in the picture below to make it look less builder grade. I was thinking about painting it the gray color that's on the upper part of my wall. I have five kids and three dogs and regretting doing the white molding around the whole main floor of my house. I'm kind of against the island being white due to the kids but I'm open to suggestions, even if the suggestion is to just leave it alone and not paint it at all.

Comments (12)

• Brooke Drakesmith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I should have mentioned I won't be using corbels, just the trim work. I'm open to suggestions on how to do the trim. I'm also just happy with leaving it alone if majority thinks this is not a good idea.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No trim it is good just the way it is. I would however have painted the white thing beside the fridge the same as the cabinets and a new light over the table that works better with the pendants .

• Nkloot
    4 years ago

I am not a professional but I think the trim and a lighter color on the island would look great. The grey or white on the walls should work on the island but I would want to compare paint swatches to the island countertop before deciding.

• Brooke Drakesmith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree the light over the kitchen table looks out of place. What white thing are you talking about that's next to the refrigerator? I have a little white mini camera that's next to the wood sign up on the ledge. is that what you mean?

• Brooke Drakesmith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm thinking maybe this design is more like what I am going for. I'm not sure why I posted the other picture with the corbels.

• H B
    4 years ago

I wonder if you paint the island, and any color other than what it is, with five kids, the paint itself will be quickly scuffed and damaged, and any color other than the current is going to show that,

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

I personally would leave the island the way it is. Maybe change the outlet cover to match so it doesn't stand out. And then spend some money for a new light over your table.

• Nkloot
    4 years ago

The trim would tie in nicely with the wainscoting.

And painting cabnets (or islands) is ALOT of prep work to do well. But if it's done well, it will hold up well.

We re-painted our lower cabnets white about a dozen years ago. (They were first painted by a previous owner and had chipped badly.) We had kids in the house and later went to rent the home to people with pets and kids. The paint on the cabnets still look great. But it was a ton of work to do it well.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would re-examine the color choice. Grays and warm woods are very tricky. And I don’t think that your pick is quite right. It’s a bit cool. It needs to be a warmer griege. Accessible Beige is a popular choice because it blends well with woods. There are other choices, but with your cabinets being dark, the island needs to be a lighter value, not dark. The other option would be painting the perimeters lighter, and leaving the island as the darker wood. Either way, I’d recommend finding a local cabinet finisher who sprays one of the 2K polys.

• ngram
    3 years ago

Not a professional either, but I added moldings to my Island,just like your thinking of doing. I love it! I sprayed mine Benjamin Moore Chelsea Gray. My perimeter cabinets are white though. That may be too dark for your kitchen. I love the idea though obviously :)

Your Houzz Bookmarks · More Info

Your Houzz Bookmarks · More Info

• ngram
    3 years ago

Just realized this is an older post. Don't know why it was at the top of my feed? Guess I should read better lol. Did you end up doing it?