Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shamic_sharon12

Plantation Shutters

shamic_sharon12
4 years ago

I have honeycomb shades in my family room and master bedroom. The family room has a large picture window and the bedroom has a bay window. Since the shades are only two years old, I was going to put the plantation shutters on the. bottom half of the window and pull the shades up to the top and use them like a valance. Both rooms are in the back of the house with a wooded view. Has anyone ever used two types of window treatments on the same window?

Comments (8)

• shamic_sharon12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes. There is a walking trail behind my house. Also, the family room window is the hole back wall. I think the shades would soften it up. They are a very muted sage green.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I would do either shades or shutters and not combine them. Our shutters were all here when we bought our home. Almost every window had a fabric valance with the shutters. To make it worse (IMO), there was wallpaper that matched the valances. I removed all the valances and hired someone to remove the wallpaper...big improvement! I'm not a pro so let's see what they suggest. The important thing is that it looks good to you.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I dislike shutters inside homes since they block light and the view. I would do solar shades for the daytime to block heat and UV and give you privacy but you keep the view and use drapes at night fo privacy. That would probably cost less than the shutters too.

• shamic_sharon12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The plantation shutters would be cafe style for privacy and the honeycomb shades would stay on top either all the way up or as pictured. It would also give me the option of pulling them halfway down when the sun is its strongest. I'm also considering putting the shutters on the whole window. I just don't want to make a costly mistake. The honeycomb shades were not cheap and I like how they disappear when pulled all the way up.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

You might check online for "pairing cafe style shutters with shades" for some photos. You could also have a rep from a shutter company come to your home for a consultation. Shutters are pricey but lovely. They're also very easy to clean and can often increase home value. There are no rules, but you just want to be sure you like the look of mixing the shutters and shades. Based on other posts regarding shutters, my guess is most people here would tell you to just do one or the other.

• PRO
    Fenstermann LLC
    4 years ago

The first question that crossed my mind was: why? Your honeycomb shades should operate bottom up and top down and you can perfectly manage light and privacy. Do you need more light blocking at night or do you just don't like the look? Both can be solved with draperies/curtains. If you need to black out the light, use black out curtains or if you just want to cover the honeycomb shades, us sheer curtains. Either way it is fine to have two shades on one window...

• Daniela Marino
    4 years ago

As beautiful as they are, plantation shutters are intended for sunny, hot weather. They are specially effective for filter the sun and shade your home while permitting air cross circulation to refresh your home. But if your area is not a plantation one, well, they will stop the necessary sun rays to enter and obscure too much your house, unless you use only at night, to retain warm into your house or for security reasons.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH