Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopelandfarms

Guest Bath vanity

hopelandfarms
4 years ago

Hello, I would LOVE help on our new bathroom. The cabinet base will run wall to wall 70".

40" for sink base 30" a dressing table.I have an 18" vessel sink picked out. Dark grey soapstone counter top. Very simple furniture style cabinet. I would like design to include three sconces between mirrors. What size mirrors? What size sconces? What is proper spacing of all items? Do I still lower dressing table-even with vessel that lowers the sink cabinet base? Finished height will be 36" for sink. thank you all I'm so excited to see what ideas are out there.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO a guest bathroom needs more counter and no dressing table. I would not have a lower counter for makeup if you insist then supply an adjustable stool. As for placement of sconces that is best decided with a piece of graph paper and the measurements of the sconces and mirrors then draw to scale until it looks right.

• hopelandfarms
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good recommendations. Thank you. We didn't plumb for double sinks so I was trying to make use of the 70"s of counter top. Plus when elderly Mother visits dressing table may come in handy. Would you have put in two sinks?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No IMO guests need more counter than what you would need if you lived there and IMO 70” is not big enough for 2 sinks

• hopelandfarms
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you!

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

IMO a guest bathroom needs more counter and no dressing table.

Agree. An overnight guest would need a place to set a toiletry bag /wouldn't "move into" the drawers.

Have you looked at vanities yet? I don't think 40" is a standard size -- probably 42" or 60".

I'd consider a linen closet in place of the dressing table.

As for placement of sconces that is best decided with a piece of graph paper and the measurements of the sconces and mirrors then draw to scale until it looks right.

Agree.

Plus when elderly Mother visits dressing table may come in handy.

Reasonable. I'd go with a stool (rather than a chair) so it can be "tucked under" and not be in the way when not in use.

Would you have put in two sinks?

No.

hopelandfarms thanked Mrs Pete
  • hopelandfarms
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really appreciate all the ideas., and hadn't thought of the idea of needing counter top to place articles because -yes they don't use drawers and need extra space. One more question...wouldn't a "dressing" table work the same as vanity top? The only difference is the 30" top in dropped down a couple inches. I can keep it all one level but there will be a seem because that's the size of material available.

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

Not a response to the vanity question, but a response to your mother’s visits. If you have not already tiled the shower, now is the time to put blocking in the shower walls for grab bars. When we built our house, we put blocking in the walls in each tub or shower in anticipation of visits from my parents. We also included blocking in our shower. There are many good looking grab bars that don’t resemble the hospital grab bars which look horrid.

• hopelandfarms
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great idea! Thank you for thing of us.

• PRO
    Lantern & Scroll
    4 years ago

Hey, we have lots of sconces that are narrow enough to fit between your mirrors and all of them are available in any of our 200 color options to make sure they look great in your space!