macranthos

Is this Fritillaria affinis?

macranthos
25 days ago
last modified: 25 days ago

This absolutely tiny specimen was blooming 4 weeks earlier than the other F affinis in the area and was 1/50th the height. Near the Dalles in the Gorge at about 1000ft Elevation. I’ve looked any cannot find any similar species for the area. Note: there is a chance that this particular plant could have been trampled which might have caused strange growth.

Here is a nice sized F affinis from Late May last year.

Comments (19)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I've no idea. But if I'm filled with envy over the richness of your flora.

macranthos thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

my frits have grass like foliage ...

yours looks more tulip like ... third pic

i realize those arent proper descriptive terms..

whatever it is.. it looks like it bloomed without flower petals ... whats that all about ...

ken

macranthos thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

It looks like the photos on the Pacific Bulb Society website.....except for the height. And the petals are present if you look closely at an enlarged version of #3. Just not fully open and hard to see because no clear stem/lack of height.

macranthos thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Embothrium

Yes: the deciding factor is that the outer parts of the flowers have the mottling typical of this species.

macranthos thanked Embothrium
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Ken, there are multitudes if fritillary species. Not all have narrow foliage. Macranthos' plant looks as if it might be stunted by foot traffic, animal trampling or something.

• macranthos

Ok great. I’ve never see one so tiny I thought it might be an anomaly.

While we’re at it, does anyone have any idea what this is? I think I’ve asked about it before but I don’t remember getting a clear answer.

It’s about an inch tall and blankets exposed soils.

Something in Caryophyllaceae?

• macranthos

I looked through all of Caryophyllaceae in the region and couldn’t recognize a match. I’ll keep looking. In the mean time, here is a bonus photo.

E grandiflorum

• macranthos

Olsyinium

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Please stop it!

I'm so jealous.

• macranthos

Feel free to visit next spring Floral. I’ll take you around.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Now you're just being cruel.

btw the little white thingy does have a look of Stellaria, Cerastium or some such to it. So I'd say Caryophyllaceae too.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

I agree floral but I must be a masochist because I am enjoying the pics. At least you are in full on spring while I am still buried past my knees in snow lol! ....big sigh.

macranthos thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • thefof Zone 8/9 UK

Ha! Spring? Where are you?

It has been rain for weeks, with the odd bit of sun. Wind continuous W - SW, strong and temps rarely rising above 0C (wind chill), mainly down to -4C (WC).

It's still mid winter in west Cornwall.

Great pics.

Sorry, floral, but keep them coming.

macranthos thanked thefof Zone 8/9 UK
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Mid winter? West Cornwall doesn't have anything worth calling winter ;-) It's definitely spring here. A very wet and windy spring with added hail showers, but spring none the less.

• thefof Zone 8/9 UK

I know, but after 30 yrs living in Australia, try telling that to my body and sensory systems. :-)))

• macranthos

Cardamine nuttalii

Crocidium

• macranthos

The Oak forests out here are really amazing. old trees on the order of 5 to 20 feet tall. Here are some big old ones!

And a whole grove of little old ones.

And some really small ones.

You can see mt Adams across the valley.

• macranthos

Erodium cicutarium. I finally looked up which species this one is...
    Edit: thanks embo for the autocorrect typo

Lomatium... don’t remember which one

• Embothrium

That's Erodium, of course.

As for conditions in Cornwall Caerhays had camellias and magnolias out last month.

macranthos thanked Embothrium

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268