macranthos

Is this Fritillaria affinis?

macranthos

This absolutely tiny specimen was blooming 4 weeks earlier than the other F affinis in the area and was 1/50th the height. Near the Dalles in the Gorge at about 1000ft Elevation. I’ve looked any cannot find any similar species for the area. Note: there is a chance that this particular plant could have been trampled which might have caused strange growth.

Here is a nice sized F affinis from Late May last year.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I've no idea. But if I'm filled with envy over the richness of your flora.

macranthos thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

my frits have grass like foliage ...

yours looks more tulip like ... third pic

i realize those arent proper descriptive terms..

whatever it is.. it looks like it bloomed without flower petals ... whats that all about ...

ken

macranthos thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

It looks like the photos on the Pacific Bulb Society website.....except for the height. And the petals are present if you look closely at an enlarged version of #3. Just not fully open and hard to see because no clear stem/lack of height.

macranthos thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Embothrium

Yes: the deciding factor is that the outer parts of the flowers have the mottling typical of this species.

macranthos thanked Embothrium
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Ken, there are multitudes if fritillary species. Not all have narrow foliage. Macranthos' plant looks as if it might be stunted by foot traffic, animal trampling or something.

• macranthos

Ok great. I’ve never see one so tiny I thought it might be an anomaly.

While we’re at it, does anyone have any idea what this is? I think I’ve asked about it before but I don’t remember getting a clear answer.

It’s about an inch tall and blankets exposed soils.

Something in Caryophyllaceae?

• macranthos

I looked through all of Caryophyllaceae in the region and couldn’t recognize a match. I’ll keep looking. In the mean time, here is a bonus photo.

E grandiflorum

• macranthos

Olsyinium

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Please stop it!

I'm so jealous.

• macranthos

Feel free to visit next spring Floral. I’ll take you around.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Now you're just being cruel.

btw the little white thingy does have a look of Stellaria, Cerastium or some such to it. So I'd say Caryophyllaceae too.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

I agree floral but I must be a masochist because I am enjoying the pics. At least you are in full on spring while I am still buried past my knees in snow lol! ....big sigh.

macranthos thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • thefof Zone 8/9 UK

Ha! Spring? Where are you?

It has been rain for weeks, with the odd bit of sun. Wind continuous W - SW, strong and temps rarely rising above 0C (wind chill), mainly down to -4C (WC).

It's still mid winter in west Cornwall.

Great pics.

Sorry, floral, but keep them coming.

macranthos thanked thefof Zone 8/9 UK
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Mid winter? West Cornwall doesn't have anything worth calling winter ;-) It's definitely spring here. A very wet and windy spring with added hail showers, but spring none the less.

• thefof Zone 8/9 UK

I know, but after 30 yrs living in Australia, try telling that to my body and sensory systems. :-)))

• macranthos

Cardamine nuttalii

Crocidium

• macranthos

The Oak forests out here are really amazing. old trees on the order of 5 to 20 feet tall. Here are some big old ones!

And a whole grove of little old ones.

And some really small ones.

You can see mt Adams across the valley.

• macranthos

Erodium cicutarium. I finally looked up which species this one is...
    Edit: thanks embo for the autocorrect typo

Lomatium... don’t remember which one

• Embothrium

That's Erodium, of course.

As for conditions in Cornwall Caerhays had camellias and magnolias out last month.

macranthos thanked Embothrium