contact3958

And your favorite Hippeastrum color is?

Bulb in A Box

Hello guys, I would like to know what is your favorite Hippeastrum color.

You will laugh, yes, but mine is red! Yes, the dominat red - I simply love it! Better yet, the darker ones, such as Liberty, Carramba and Loyalty Silvia.

What is your favorite color?

• Fred Biasella

Absolutely!!!! I love them :-)))))

Bulb in A Box

I have many offsets, just let me know.

• popmama

Always tough to pick a favorite. I do have a bit of an obsession with green flowers, and until recently I didn't even know hippaestrum came in green so now I think I need some. I really love the ones with pink/white or Papillio with its green and pink.

I have a lot of red. In fact, I have too many red so I am giving some of them to my mom and I have vowed not to buy anymore red.

Bulb in A Box

What are your favorite greens, popmama? Mine are Green Dragon and Evergreen

• Julie Wignell

ORANGE! If it's orange, then it comes home with me! I love the big old fashioned triangular-shaped ones best.

Bulb in A Box

Hello Julie, perhaps Horizont then? I love it

• catsandhippies

Vlad, I love your garden types. Have to try them one day too... Which is Sonatini #1720? I always get confused with all those numbers. Milky Way was #1820 wasn't it?

Bulb in A Box

Yep, #1820 is Milky Way. Here is #1720, I LOVE it:

• Northern Gardener

This may have to do with the fact that my amaryllises are indoor plants during their blooming time (except for my Flaming Peacock which always blooms in August as well as February here in Minnesota, and last year for the first time Rosalie did the same), and I actually painted my main room (it's a soft green that mimics, well, the color of hippeastrum scapes) so that it would complement plants. And the trim around the windows is white. So all my amaryllises are evaluated, for preference, as to how they do in indoor lighting.

I adore the brights - reds, hot pink, orange - and the majority of my collection includes the hottest hot colors. Indoors this works well when the sun is low, in January/February, and can fill my room and illuminate all the more saturated colors. But if I could only have *one* amaryllis, in my context, it would be my white Snow Drift, which has green flares at the throat. It's double, and while so many of the doubles do look rather tattered and messy, Snow Drift to me does not. It's tight, well-reflected, not too frilly, and the geometry remains apparent.

The thing about white, or any of the more pale colors, is that indoors in the winter, they show up day or night. You can SEE them, and they call you to come over and enjoy them even when the sun is going down.

[Christmas Gift (new to me), a big white single, is coming along, but it's really slow. I got it on sale a few weeks ago, what can I say. If I love it I'll post somewhere on the forum. Maybe in this thread, though it'll be at least a month.]

I think I convinced my favorite supplier, Dutch Grown, to carry White Peacock next season. :) It's another not-raggedy double, and even more structured than Snow Drift. I'm looking forward to ordering it. Here's a stock photo:

I've also had Picotee, a single white with the tiniest red outline on the edge of most of the petals. But somehow it did not stay healthy and vigorous for me. I conclude that it's fussy. I have a baby (offset) that bloomed this year (weakly). I'm going to fuss over it and see if I can bring it up to speed. I have a hunch that this is a cultivar that requires something a little bit different than others. (Subject for another post.)

• popmama

Bulb in a box, I really don't know which ones are my favorite greens. Honestly until recently, I didn't even know they came in green. I'm going to look at the two you mentioned though. I want to order some greens!

Bulb in A Box

Northen Gardener, try Arctic Nymph and Birthe

Bulb in A Box

Popmama, probably Evergreen is the easiest to find today

• Northern Gardener

Thanks for those ideas, Vlad. :) I'll check them out.

Bulb in A Box

Oh, and White Symphony too

• Julie Wignell

Bulb in A Box - I wish I had 'Horizon' available here in Australia, unfortunately it is one of many that we have to do without. Only a handful of the varieties available to you are available down here.

But we do have some lovely oranges of our own. But I absolutely love your 'Horizon' !

Bulb in A Box

We could try to sneak in an offset, you know

• Julie Wignell

Bulb in A Box - I wish! But they are pretty strict. At least seeds are okay. We are allowed those, so that is something. I often wonder why we don't get the varieties that you all have, as they do import some bulbs, but in very restricted varieties for some reason. If lucky, we occasionally get a mislabel come through, but that seems the only way!

Bulb in A Box

Julie, I happen to have some seeds of Horizont x self, would you like to have them?

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

What a wonderful thread!

Here are some of my favorite ones---not sure what color to call them. Unfortunately, I have lost them all due to virus or Narcissus bulb fly. Those mini are adorable Bulb in a Box. Hard to find good bulbs around here. I've never seen minis here. I think I will have to move on and grow something else.

Belicia

Aphrodite (my absolute favorite)

Charisma

Bulb in A Box

Belicia, oh I love the dark eye! I could omly imagine what the coloration it would become when crossed with Dragonfly, Green Valley or Yellow Star

• Julie Wignell

Bulb in A Box, thank you very much for your kind offer of seed, but I have to very reluctantly decline. I only wish I had room left to grow them, if that was the case I would jump at trying your very lovely 'Horizon'! As it is, I have so many seedlings from 2017, 2018 and 2019 that I am up to my ears in young plants! Waiting now for these to bloom so I can select the most promising seedlings, but they have all become such large plants while I'm waiting! I have five extra large outdoor tables full, and still no room left!

If I have anything that you would care to try, please let me know. I tried to message you privately, but apparently my phone number ( required before message is allowed to be sent ) was repeatedly rejected.

Julie

• Julie Wignell

.....maybe you could try messaging me, and see if it will work that way?

Julie

Bulb in A Box

:) Julie, just PM-ed you

Bulb in A Box

Guys, do you like Carina? It is an old cultivar

• Fred Biasella

Oh Yes!!!! Me too :-)))

• Northern Gardener

Carina is gorgeous. Does it really "glow" like that picture makes it appear to? It looks almost neon red.

Joan

Bulb in A Box

:) Yes Joan, it does

• Northern Gardener

All righty, Vlad, it's going on my Little List. :)

Well shoot. I've hunted around but it appears to be unavailable in the US, and seems only to be commonly available in Thailand. Doubt I can order from there.

Bulb in A Box

Shall I get one for you? Or, when mine produces offsets

• Northern Gardener

Can you do that, for shipment to USA? I'm just not sure it would be legal.

If it *is* legal, I'd wait any amount of time. Years, even.

Bulb in A Box

If you want it officially, it would not be legal, no. I did however send to the US many times.

Bulb in A Box

Oh and btw Joan, recently some Thai sellers offer plant certificates, which should be problem free and completly legal to send to the US

Bulb in A Box

Not a red, but I adore it!

I present you Barotse

• catsandhippies

Beautiful shape. And to me it looks quite red.

Bulb in A Box

I will try to make a picture in the sun today, it is something between cherry red and fuchsia and I LOVE it!

• Fred Biasella

Sounds beautiful :-))))

Bulb in A Box

Here, Barotse in the sun

• Fred Biasella

Wow!!! Even prettier in natural light :-))))

Bulb in A Box

I see it though as a quite red in this picture, but it is not really that red. My Raspberry Garden is definetly more red than this one

• berkeleysgr8

I don't necessarily have a favorite color. I really like cybister varieties. They are my favorites. I like klister types too... unfortunately, I think all of my klisters ended up virused and having to be thrown out. I love blooms with strong color differences like papilio, Dancing Queen and Chico.

• OldDutch

Tulips and hippeastrums are best in red. Other colors are pretty and all that, but red is best.

Bulb in A Box

Berkeley, do you like these three?

Bulb in A Box

Joan, I do agree on the reds, although those who do selection have to be very careful with reds

• berkeleysgr8

Bulb in a Box... they are all lovely! I really like the top bloom with her speckles and veining!

Bulb in A Box

Love it too! It is called Revelation, on the cut flower production for some years now

• Fred Biasella

Vlad,

I love them all but Revelation is an absolute stunner :-))))

Bulb in A Box

Mine is the last, called Maestro

• Fred Biasella

Vlad,

That is a very fitting name and very beautiful.

Bulb in A Box

It is Marko’s favorite too. By the way, from the same cross as Revelation. The difference is important to notice