Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdvick1981

How can I break up a busy backsplash?

tdvick1981
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My kitchen backsplash is huge and busy. I‘d love some ideas on how to make it livable until my husband agrees to replace it - which may be a while since this is a new-build.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    CLARICE SMYTH DESIGN
    4 years ago

The issue I see is a clash in pattern and scale. There is a lot of pattern and not enough scale difference in the speckle of the granite and the scale of the backsplash tile. The Height of the backsplash matches too closely to the height of the window opening and since the tile is darker it dwarfs the window. Then you have the horizontal lines of the blinds, similar scale, and the very geometric pattern on the valance.

I would recommend that you add a modern flat molding, at least 3"-4 " wide, to the sides and top of the window and a windowsill. If possible, and you like plants, install the windowsill deep enough that it can hold a few trailing plants to break up the tile. Get rid of the valance. Change the two blinds for one getting rid of the distracting center line.. Make it either one large slat white wood blind, 2-1/2" slats, or a larger scale organic pattern shade in randomly spaced colors or fluid florals. If you go with the large slat blinds, you can enlarge the scale of the window by hanging simple curtain panels - in the randomly spaced colors or fluid florals. Hang the panels 4-6" from the ceiling and outside the window frame, barely overlapping the wood trim (if you add the trim), and extending the length over the tile. Stop the panels 4-6" from the counter.top and in this way it will visually enlarge the window, ending above the normal height of a typical back splash.

To further break up the tile, depending on your style and minimal/maximist preferences, you could lean trays, cutting boards, art or a combination against the tile in areas.

These are a few temporary solutions that are also budget friendly.

• eam44
    4 years ago

Wow. Seizure-inducing. I feel your pain. The way to deal with what is there is probably to remove all other colors and patterns from the space. Honestly, your kitchen might be a good candidate for peel-and-stick tile until you can replace what is there. It is not less expensive than regular tile, but you can install it yourself over whatever you’ve got.

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

I was contemplating buying a house with a backsplash that I hated. I asked my painter if he could prep and paint the tile in a way that would hold up for a few years and he said he could. So paint is another option.

• deegw
    4 years ago

I would remove the window treatments and store them until you remove the tile. Do you need something on the window for privacy?

Are these choices that you made or did you buy a spec home?

Also, as mentioned above, a wide view of the entire kitchen would be helpful.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

A mini sledge and pry bar works wonders to break it up.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

OMG that is just plain horrible . Who made those choices? We do need to see the whole kitchen but I agree a sledge would be my choice but yes you can paint tile with Klenk tile paint . Stinky but works.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago

Tear it out.

Not only is multi-colored pencil tile dates, it's clashing horrible with the granite and it's much too high throwing all of the proportions in the space off. Painting tile is an option but its a short-term one and it usually doesn't look great.

• eam44
    4 years ago

You know, instead of "replacing" it, using peel and stick tiles, or trying to paint it, you could just minimize it to 4" and bring down the sheetrock to meet it. It's the least expensive option, and new build or not, would cost very little. A handyman could do it in a day.

That said, once you start pulling it down, it might be tough to stop...

• jay06
    4 years ago

I think removing the valance will make a huge visual difference. Right now, the eyes are taking in a whole lot of pattern and making it seems worse than it is. Post a picture without the valance and see if you get as strong a reaction as some of the responses here. And I like Dawn's suggestion to put neutral-colored objects on the counter in front of it, preferably a bit tall.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

How high is that anyway? Can you actually see out the window when standing at the sink? I question the logic here as much as the choice of tile. If you can't see out the window, I'd pressure hubby and the builder to tear it out and put in a "real" window.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

That valance it the real issue, take it down and get some wall plugs and plates the same color as the tile Lutron makes them. Once you have the kettle the coffee maker etc on the counter it won’t look so busy.

• M Miller
    4 years ago

Is the photo playing tricks on my eyes, or does the OP have a 4" backsplash that is the same as the counter? When I stare at the photo, it is there, if I blink it's gone, if I blink again it is there. If there is a 4" backsplash there, I advise remove all that pencil tile, definitely remove that valence or whatever that is across the top (the most egregious of that wall IMHO), and spackle smooth, paint whatever is the paint color of your kitchen walls, done. That would make you happy not to see that wall anymore, and your husband happy that you don't have to replace it, you are just removing it.

• cawaps
    4 years ago

M Miller, I see what you're seeing, but I think it's an optical illusion created by the reflection of the tile backsplash onto the granite. The line that looks like the bottom of a 4-inch counter material backsplash (when you look at the edge of the photo) actually instersects the sink.

As pencil tiles go, I wouldn't find this one all that offensive ON ITS OWN, or in a different setting. The problem here is the pairing with the granite, and the wonky proportions of backsplash height and window height, which the valance just exacerbates. I think you've gotten a number of good suggestions for improving the situation.

• M Miller
    4 years ago

Thanks Cawaps, I need a better monitor!

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Get rid of the valance.

Get wall plugs that will blend in instead of stand out.

Get a mirror to put behind the sink and break up the area and let you see what is going on behind you.

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I would take all the window treatments off.