Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athleticannie

Opportunity for Change...Help Me Choose a New Hood PLEASE HELP ME

athleticannie
4 years ago

So the 42" stainless steel hood I have sitting in my garage cannot be used in my kitchen (long story and late notice by kitchen designer. I know how the opportunity to make a change. You can see the space I have and the colors I have chosen. The space between the windows is 69". The cooktop is 36".

When I started the planning process, I definitely wanted a wood hood but the cost of the one that matched my cabinets was way too expensive. So I switched to stainless steel. Since I now have to shop for a new hood (and quickly order one), I am looking at all options including buying a hood kit and insert.

Here is the space I have:

And here is a closer shot of my island cabinet color:

Please give me your insights:

1. Should I stick with 42" or go to 36"?
  2. If I switch to my first choice (wood), what shape do you like with my finishes?
  3. What type of finish would you use? Shiplap? Drywall? Barn wood? Etc?

I need to decide with 24 hours so your quick feedback would be appreciated.

Comments (61)

• pittsburrito
    4 years ago

Any hood will work. It's the ductwork that will run into the plumbing -- not the hood. So please tell us where the plumbing is exactly, so we can help strategize a ductwork path around it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO the kitchen does not suit any wood hood a much better choice is stainless and get a different one or at least show us where the plumbing is .

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You have to define the problem before a solution can be found. When the problem is the contractor, and he’s responsible for making sure that the ductwork or the plumbing was located correctly according to the design, then he gets to pay to fix it. Keep the hood. Fix the issue.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

I would do stainless with brass trim to tie into your gold hardware. It will play into the warm tone of your tile and island.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

If the moderate priced wood hoods from the cabinet maker wasn’t affordable, do you really think that those over the top custom metal ones that cost twice as much are going to even be an option? And then need liners and remote blowers to make the pretty work?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Wentz - not sure of budget but with your kitchen style looking nice and modern, I would do one like this.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

No suggestions on hood, but I wanted to say that I love your backsplash tile.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    4 years ago

I agree with

Design Interior South

Flo Mangan

In my opinion, the stainless will break up all of the wood and will create a beautiful focal point in that area.

I would also go with the larger hood.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Yes to the gold trim on the hood @Flo Mangan Posted and that shape would be nice as well. One thing to consider when doing a chimney style is the height of your ceilings. They look better on higher ceilings 10' +. If you have a lower ceiling, not sure by your photo, then I would stick with a style that is less elongated like the ones I posted.

• athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the hood I have. Due to the height of the unit before it attaches to the chimney, it is too high to install and vent outside the house due to the location of the cut out on the exterior wall. I could use this one if I wanted to recirculate with the charcoal filters.

I also agree that I need to be careful since I have 8 foot ceilings.What do you think of this?

• athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another view.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I would not do filtered return. Useless. You might want to look locally for metal shop that could do custom for you. That way you can get exactly right shape and size. I have done this in a couple homes and the cost was very competitive.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

This is only photo I have handy. Different but lower ceiling like yours. Different style but had it made in metal shop. Took them specifications of ventilation system and they came out and measured and it turned out beautiful.

• shead
    4 years ago

IOW, your hood is too tall and misses the vent hole? If so, how much too tall is it?

• shead
    4 years ago

Also, it looks like you only have 8 ft ceilings. Many of those designs you posted above will NOT look right in your space because they will look short and squatty. You need either a true chimney hood or you need one that is roughly the same width at the top as at the bottom.

• PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    4 years ago

If the duct needs to be adjusted, it’s on the contractor to open the wall and make the adjustment. He had the measured design, and the product measurements and specifications. He’s gotta step up and do what it takes.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

A chimney style hood is going to be short for an 8' ceiling. That would leave maybe a foot stack which will look stunted. I agree with @Flo Mangan I would go to a metal shop and see about having one custom made. Stick with a style that doesn't have a "neck".

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Are you acting as your own GC?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

With all the shiny tile in the backsplash ..i would go with a matte finish on the hood ..it is really difficult without seeing more of your space to know whether you should have a show stopper style or a more understated style...for instance is there an open view from the rest of your home ? Should the style of the rest of your home influence your choice?

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

This island looks to me the same tone as yours and the perimeter as well. This would be a great look in your space.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Did the best I could to mock up the hood DSI posted. Maybe it will help you visualize this style hood.

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Design Interior South got it right. I’d look into that one. It warms everything up.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Your GC should be helping resolve this. Did you provide h/her with specifications of vent and hood at stud stage or before?

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

”Wants help”, but doesn’t provide any of the needed information for anyone TO help. Sheesh.

This is a giant mess up by the contractor. It’s on him to fix. Why you’re even involved in finding a new hood is crazy. You had a hood. You had specs. You had measured plans and elevations. You had a GC. Enough said.

Even if you were the GC, the solution is the same. Open up the wall and fix the gosh darn problem that lies behind the wall, that you still haven’t drawn out and shown us. Tile should never have been installed without hooking up the hood and field verifying the venting. That’s an educational moment for someone.

• athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

live_wire_oak I didn't ask for help about getting the contractor to tear everything out and start again. As a reminder, this is what I asked:

1. Should I stick with 42" or go to 36"?
    2. If I switch to my first choice (wood), what shape do you like with my finishes?
    3. What type of finish would you use? Shiplap? Drywall? Barn wood? Etc?

Design Interior South, do you know the manufacturer of the hood you suggested?

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Which hood? One of the ones in my first post or the one in the photo of the kitchen? If it is the one of the photo of the kitchen the only information given is the "Raw Urth Designs fabricated the range hood". Here is their web site http://rawurth.com/product_group/metal-range-hood/. If it is one of the hoods in the first post I put up I would have to do a little digging. Just let me know.

• athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like the last one you posted. I am looking at their site right now. My guess is since they consider themselves to be a boutique designer, it will be out of my budget.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

I would find a local fabricator and show them the photo and get a price on them recreating it for you. I do think that this will be the main feature of your kitchen based on the photos you have shown us. I also think because the windows that will be on each side of it are not symmetrical you need to do something bold and special to draw attention away from that fact and draw the eye to a phenomenal hood/focal point. I hope that since your contractor messed up on this they are helping you with a reimbursement as well as giving you their cost for their vendors pricing for the item.

athleticannie thanked Design Interior South
  • athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I also saw these two:

• PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    4 years ago

1/10th of that hood cost would be better spent on moving the plumbing obstacle, to keep the hood you have. Not a new 12K custom hood.

• lisabrodsky123
    4 years ago

Love those 2 hoods you just posted! Can you share the manufacturer?
    Yes Raw Urth hoods are absolutely stunning ... but you will pay a pretty penny. Got a quote yesterday for a 60” wide by 30” tall ... $7300 + $1000 shipping (includes the inside vent though)....wowza!

athleticannie thanked lisabrodsky123
  • athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really like this one:

• shead
    4 years ago

I'm willing to bet that's a 9 ft ceiling, though. I'm not sure how great it would look with 12" chopped off the top.

athleticannie thanked shead
  • athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

lisabrodsky123...they are the same hood (RangeCraft Miami). I am exhausted from making these decisions.

• athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

shead, all the pictures I posted are the same hood. I think the 2nd picture is for a 8' ceiling.

• athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Design Interior South, what type of business do I look for? A metal fabricator? A welder?

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Yes a metal shop/ fabricator. I would also consider wood that is wrapped with the metal banding as possibly a less expensive alternative.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

You could do a wood hood and take it into a metal fabricator and have metal strapping and rivets added and stain it to match

36"W Omega Series Canopy Range Hood, Maple · More Info

Castlewood Epicurean Chimney Hood, Maple, 36", No Ventilator/Liner · More Info

Castlewood Curved Gourmet Chimney Range Hood, Maple, 36" · More Info

38" 1065 CFM Hand Hammered Copper Wall Mounted Euro Range Hood · More Info

• shead
    4 years ago

I came across this photo and realized that this is what your hood would look like with the style you like and ceiling height you have:

Cheyenne Elegance · More Info

• athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The only good thing about the coronavirus is that it has given me a bit more time to choose a range hood.

I am still waiting for pricing on the hood above but want some input on these three stainless steel hoods. I tried to do the best job I could with mockups.

Please rank them.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

C. It repeats shape of your drawers and is still sleek.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

These hoods look a little underwhelming to me...this is a broad swath of a distinctive tile...and i would prefer a little more interesting style hood....but if you are more into understatement ...these hoods are more minimal and would all leave the tile as the most distinctive feature

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

B...the one you crossed out?..would be my choice of these 3

• pittsburrito
    4 years ago

I recommend B as well, as it's funnel shape offers the best possibility for efluent capture & containment of the three options shown. (i.e. the most effective hood)

• athleticannie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any other thoughts?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

My thought from the beginning has been ....any opinion is just a stab in the dark .....as we have not seen any more of you adjoining spaces

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

If there are no other finished spaces....consider that whatever you choose will at least influence your other choices going forward

• Shasta
    4 years ago

What kind of cabinet pulls are you using? Are they copper? Is the lighting copper also? I can't quite tell. I would want to consider those elements when selecting a hood. Someone posted a hammered copper hood which might be nice. In all, I I think that with all of the warm tones, the stainless steel hood draws too much attention away from other elements of your beautiful kitchen.

• PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    4 years ago

There is nothing “wrong“ with the hood that you have already purchased.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Sorry to say , your three options are mediocre at best and I hope the renditions you did are not to scale. I will stick with my same opinion that I shared above. You have an unbalanced window situation and whatever hood you put there needs to be a show stopper to draw attention away from that fact. I am also not loving the lightness and reflection properties of a straight stainless steel hood used there against your lovely cream tile. Hood is cool tile is warm. A hood is generally one of the features a kitchen is built around. You seem to be working backwards and because your budget has been exhausted elsewhere are just "making due" with this important choice. Perhaps you can hold off on the hood and use the one you have with modifications and save up for one that will be ideal for your space.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz