abqconiglio

Is Everblooming Cécile Brunner from Heirloom Roses worth it?

Is it really different from other Cécile Brunners? At more than twice the price of High Country Roses’ version, is it worth it? please share your opinion. Thanks.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Mine does rebloom but is new here and not looking as good yet as the usual older California version. Really too new to say.

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b

I’ve had my Cecile Brunner from Heirloom for going on five years now. After the second winter she died all the way back, but recovered. I have her over a fence to sort of ramble over, but that hasn’t really happened yet. Rebloom is good for me.

Not the most impressive rose in my collection, but I like her.

Spring flush

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked reesepbuttercup SLC, Utah 6b
  • jacqueline9CA

noseometer - are you talking about the bush form of CB, or the climbing form? The regular bush form repeats for me. I also have a climbing version I got years & years ago, and it blooms in a gigantic Spring flush, and then just has very scattered bloom thereafter.

I remember Jeri saying that a climbing form had been found which was actually re-blooming. I would do some research, ask where Heirloom roses got theirs, and try to figure out if it is the same one Jeri was talking about.

Jackie

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked jacqueline9CA
  • jerijen

Mind, Jackie ... it didn't repeat in the same volume as the spring flush.

• jacqueline9CA

No, I understand, but much more than the "regular" climbing one, is that correct?

Jackie

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Yes, I'm interested in the climbing form.

• jerijen

Jackie --- Yes. But in retrospect, I realize that R. banksia lutea ALSO used to scatter bloom through the summer. I think now, that may have been a function of our wonderful, cool, foggy summers . . . Which we have lost.

Nowadays, our summers are much hotter, and once the heat hits, R. banksia lutea STOPS blooming. And I am left to wonder if the Mlle. would do the same thing.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Since Heirloom roses had a sale, free shipping, I did get one. I'll update once I see how it performs. I can compare it to the one down the street. Thanks for your opinions!

• Paul Barden

Five or six sprigs of bloom in September does not qualify this for the title "everblooming".

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Are you saying that 'Everblooming Cecile Brunner' has very little rebloom for you?

• smithdale1z8pnw

I have the Everblooming Spray Cecile Brunner (climber) that's at least 60 years old & she doesn't start blooming until late June & finishes early November. Granted that the early bloom is heavy, she still has a lot more than 5 or 6 sprigs for the rest of the year. I don't dare water or fertilise her, she is lusty enough on a strict diet. I prune her back by a 1/3 each year & keep her at about 6-8 feet.When I bought my home she was at the 2nd story of my house & aiming for the attic. She is pruned to keep her as a tall shrub.

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked smithdale1z8pnw