Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

How to portion a frozen pork roast?

bbstx
4 years ago

I have a 3 lb pork loin roast in my freezer. My original intention was to cook it sometime when I was cooking for more than just me and DH, but circumstances in the world have changed. A pound of pork roast is enough for me and DH for a couple of meals (4 -4oz servings).

What is your best advice on how to portion this chunk-o-pork?

(1) Thaw, portion, re-freeze portions?

(2) Thaw, cook the whole thing, freeze cooked pork in meal size portions? (this is the least appealing to me. I do not care for the taste of re-heated pork.)

(3) Something else?

Comments (22)

• bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve thought about running DH’s hacksaw blade through the dishwasher and cutting with that! But I’m not sure that the DW would get it clean enough.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

Personally I am leery of raw thawed and refrozen meat. If you do go that route I would make sure it is cooked well done.

bbstx thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

bbstx, Do you have any Bar Keeper's Friend? Clean the blade with that and then dish soap.

bbstx thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ediej1209 AL Zn 7 from what I’ve read (U of NE quoting USDA), you are safe as long as the meat has been kept cold. The issue is deterioration of quality.

@Sherry8aNorthAL, I do have BKF! Couldn’t live without it. I think I’ll scrub it with BKF, then put it in the dishwasher. I need to start a load anyway.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, throwing the hacksaw blade in the dishwasher after scrubbing it with Bar Keeper’s Friend *sounded* like a good idea. Even though I took the blade out as soon as the cycle stopped, it rusted. I’m going to let the meat thaw just enough to cut into usable portions. Now is when I wish I had a cleaver. I have a good chef’s knife, that I’m sure will do.

• plllog
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oh, dear! Such a shame about the blade. My father used to just put a new blade on the hacksaw. Then cleaned it really well, and oiled it probably, before putting it away. After awhile he got a meat saw, which is really just a small hacksaw. Perhaps the blade is stainless. But his regular one worked fine.

bbstx thanked plllog
  • lindac92
    4 years ago

I have seen someone use a Sawzall with a new blade. Worked great. But without a sawzall the partial thawing and muscle use of a knife will work.

bbstx thanked lindac92
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean the dishwasher. Those blades are like old time knives, that my Dad called a butcher knife. They are a steel, but not stainless steel. You can clean it again and hand wash. Put a little vegetable oil on it after dry.

bbstx thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • foodonastump
    4 years ago

I will have the same issues with a seven pound loin that’s staring me in the face every time I open the freezer. I just got lazy, had been portioning and bagging too much food. I’ll let it sit there for a bit. Hopefully a very partial thaw, cleaver and mallet will do the trick.

bbstx thanked foodonastump
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It would be a shame about the blade rusting if DH ever used it. He has never been a handyman sort plus he had some eye issues last year which has left him unable to see well enough to do close work.

FOAS, you have described my situation almost to a T. I bought this large (for us) roast. I cut a bit off to make cutlets. I intended to portion the rest. Something came up and I shoved the whole thing in the freezer thinking I could use a chunk that big “sometime” for a big meal.

This is the recipe I used for the cutlets I sliced off. Pork Schnitzel from Simply Recipes. I know nothing about how authentic this recipe is, but it is good nevertheless!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Partially thawed the pork roast in the fridge just a bit. Cut off a pound’s worth of cutlets, then divided the remainder into 2 1-lb chunks and refroze immediately. My chef’s knife was sufficient for the job. Thanks to all who commented!

• foodonastump
    4 years ago

Thanks for the update! Mine will probably remain as is for now, but when it’s needed I’ll try “partially thawed.” Glad you had success!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Now, I need to figure out how to cook the 2 1-lb portions. DH really doesn’t care for pork and if there is even a tinge of pink, he won’t eat it. I have a recipe from The Commander’s Palace Cookbook using apples and onions. That sounds good and a big ➕ is I have all the ingredients!

• sheesh
    4 years ago

Bbstx, do you/he like garlic? If so, sprinkle your remaining roast liberally with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, then slice an onion and lay it on top of and around the roast. Peel and cut two potatoes in half lengthwise, Drizzle with the same ingredients and oil. Drizzle some olive oil on the whole thing and roast at 325° for 30-35 minutes or so. The potatoes and onion will will brown and soak up the juices and be just delicious. Be sure and use the oil as the roast is very lean, and turn the potatoes and onions and leave them roasting in the oven while the roast rests.

bbstx thanked sheesh
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

I just thawed out a pork roast I had planned on doing in the smoker and having the whole family over. Well... I am going to cut part of it off and chunk it to make Sweet&Sour pork for tonight - but just marinated and stir-fried, not the breaded & deep-fried version. Tomorrow I will roast the rest for a traditional dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy. Leftovers will make pulled pork sandwiches. Then we will be "porked out" for a couple of months! Although having just looked at the Schnitzel recipe, maybe we'll have it again sooner than later :-)

bbstx thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@sheesh, garlic is great. We both eat it with no issues (at least not for us. Those we are around may have a different opinion. HA!). Wonder how your recipe would work with sweet potatoes. I don’t keep white potatoes in the house.

@ediej1209 AL Zn 7, all you need for the schnitzel is a couple of thin slices. Maybe you could sneak some off the pork roast you currently have thawed. It goes together quickly. Having all your ingredients measured and ready to go (mise en place) is important with this recipe.

• sheesh
    4 years ago

Bbstx, we love sweet potatoes roasted with same way, I've just never done the pork with

sweets as those russet potatoes roasted with the pork are delicious. Also mashed potatoes are great with the roast. I'm sure sweet potatoes would be delicious roasted with the pork. If you do it, let us know how it went!

bbstx thanked sheesh
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

According to this website you can get rid of rust on a blade if you plunge it into a onion for a few minutes.

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/house-home/diy/10-surprising-second-uses-for-an-onion

I would thaw cook and freeze whatever portion you don't eat. That way you will have the size portion size you want next time and it will be precooked. It will be quicker to make a meal that way.

bbstx thanked yeonassky
  • foodonastump
    4 years ago

Yeah that’s probably what I’ll end up doing. Good use for SV, to reheat frozen pork roasts without overcooking.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    4 years ago

FOAS, how do you reheat with SV? How do you choose time and temp?

Speaking of SV, I’m cooking 2 filets tonight. It is a godsend for us! DD likes his medium well+; I like mine medium rare. I can get them both perfect with SV!

• foodonastump
    4 years ago

I kind of wing it and there have been times I’ve not heated it enough. I prefer to thaw in a pot of cold water in the fridge rather than going straight from frozen. Then I’ll reheat at close to original temp (low 140’s) for maybe 1.5-2 hours. I do try to chill it quickly after the initial roast, but I suspect my guessing method would not meet all the safety guidelines. I should probably research that a bit, but thus far I’ve been lucky. This one will be dinner sometime soon:

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals