Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gulhan_miller

I need help creating a new basement.

Gulhan Miller
4 years ago

Ok, here is my dilemma! I have a huge basement and my kids are taking over. I am trying to create a kid space in the back side of the room. I am thinking about painting the walls in light gray and white stripes or putting wood panels. It is super simple and I want to make it a nice space. Can you help me with some design ideas please ? I need help with paint color and everything. Please!

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I would need a to scale floor plan with all windows , doorways etc marked all measurements clearly marked . Use graph paper it makes it easier for you to draw and for use to read.Are you keeping thefurniture? What do you need for the kids? It seems that they are in the area away from the seating so maybe explain a bit more about your needs. No wood panelling please and I would not do stripes either .This space does not look huge to me so make sure you also draw the spaces around this room.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Some inspiration:

Old Orchard Playroom · More Info

Kids Playhouse Basement · More Info

• felizlady
    4 years ago

You have a great walk-out basement with natural daylight. Your children will grow up faster than you can imagine and their stuff can be be kept in their zone with their help. Make clean-up fun by making it almost a game....”fast fast” pick-up and store it in a box or toy chest for small things. Plastic crates are great, too. Even a heavy cardboard box will work. Put away the current toy or game before bringing out a different toy or game. It takes practice, and they may be teens or older before they really adopt neatness. If you normally serve dessert, let them pick up right after dinner before dessert is served. If you remove the toys they have ignored or outgrown, you can help reduce the volume of stuff.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

Highly recommend one cohesive system. For us it was expedit from ikea. Now it’s Kallax I believe. Anyway just keeps all the toys and kids stuff contained and looking clean. I used to care if it was in the right bin but now I just care if away :)

We also have a proper sized table and chairs for crafts etc.

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First of all, thank you so much for not bashing how messy my basement looks. My other rooms look like a tornado hit our house.

I recorded a video of the rooms. The full area is 20x18.5 ft., 370 sq ft.
    The back space that I would like to organize is about 175 sq.feet, 9.5x18.5. 170-175 sq feet is the back area.

I would like to paint the walls, get some new curtains, paint the fireplace, and make the back space look like an area where my kids can read or play legos or do arts& crafts. I can organize the toys in a different room. I do not want to see toys around in the same room where family members are watching TV or hanging out if that makes sense to you all. It is just very annoying to see toys all day long.

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And the furniture will stay. And my huge sectional’s dimensions are this : Dimensions:
    • Overall: 128.3’’ L x 114.9’’ W x 40.5’’H
    • Arm width: 19.69’’
    • Arm height: 25.59’’
    • Clearance needed from the wall for recline: 5.12’’
    • Length of power cable: 98.43’’ (inch)
    • Weight: 451.95 lbs

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The video does not work. Here is a panoramic pic.

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My back door is 84 by 74 inches

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

If this is the kids area, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. You say the rest of the house is messy. Is there more kids stuff on the main floor. I would get it all downstairs then perhaps put away the items they are not using for a while.

Sounds like you need a space that is "calm" for yourself and husband.

This is a good time to declutter/organize the rest of the house.

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I definitely need a space without their stuff. Also, I want some color and new curtains and an activity table or something in the back.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

No need to paint anything but that red wall. Your tan works well with the flooring color. Gray's depressing in a basement. Start looking for great travel, sports, or movie posters if you want color and liveliness down there. Make posters of your kids doing sports or of a favorite family vacation spot. That's where the color can come from, plus their playthings, table, etc.

Go to Ikea or big box store for deep storage shelves to run along the entire back wall. Get clear bins for the kids to keep their toys in order. Add a couple beanbag chairs.

Adaptation of this idea behind sofa. Float kiddie table in the middle, long medium high shelves with clear baskets along the entire back wall.

300 Block of Forest Avenue · More Info

Hillcrest Residence · More Info

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love your ideas. Thank you so much. I really want some sort of activity table for my growing boys. I love the idea of sports which is something they love! Thank you for the paint color recommendations. What do you think of curtains????

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Just get the long, low shelves along the wall with plenty of clear bins. Worry about paint and curtains later. Pick some great posters first and have them framed along that back wall above the the not-expensive long, low shelves.

"Ball Four Soccer" By Wild Apple Portfolio, Giclee Print on Gallery Wrap Canvas · More Info

Baseball Softball Catcher Sports Contemporary Watercolor Art Print · More Info

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

This is our space, currently a bit chaotic mid pandemic and with three kids playing but you get the idea. We have a TV wall with tons of storage and seating. Then we have a LEGO area and a craft area. This is where kids play a lot right now hence LEGO all over. We also have a table and chairs and mats at the other end of the room for playing on. My girls are into American Girl dolls so we have a corner for that. I’m hoping to get a little storage unit eventually for this area too.

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nice shelves and bins. I love how you created one cohesive space.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

It’s all just ikea. At some point we will spruce it all up once we are well past toys and more video games and hang outs but we are straddling both worlds for now with a 12,11,8 year old so all in good time

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I agree with the houzzer about the plum/ raisin walls - with play area, it doesn't look right, sorry. I am not sure if the primary colors of large items will be in the room, or stored...?

• Linda Thomas
    4 years ago

No to wood panels, it will be too dark and depressing.

• drblount10
    4 years ago

I agree with and like all the feedback and pictures. I also think the existing tan color will look good all over the basement.

A few thoughts: I am sensing guilt about the toys. This is the fun space! Allow your decorating to celebrate this. The pics njmomma posted play up the play area. Housegal200 and AS showed you storage. If you have enough storage and an easy system, and make it a game, the kids will not even think, they will put the toys up. A labelmaker will make it easy and help their reading.

Angel is right, though-- this is their play area, do not worry so much about a few toys left out. Decor and design should support what the owners need so that it will be their home.

Furniture: do the kids find it hard to get to the sofa from back there? Maybe either the chair or the love seat can go beside the play area or off to a side separate from the main seating area.

Art idea: in addition to the suggestions, a picture ledge or 2 would be great for framing and hanging their art. You could also do a magnetic board, corkboard, or just use washi tape.

Keep us posted!

• partim
    4 years ago

I like the Ikea hacks for the reading corner and for the Lego storage, in this https://www.ikeahackers.net/2017/01/top-10-ikea-hacks-2016.html

I would just put a long workspace table along the back wall for crafts etc., at the regular height for a table. Maybe 2 identical tables side by side. While you children are younger, get them higher stools so they can sit there comfortably. It will be flexible for many uses. Add storage underneath and shelves above.

How old are your children?

• drblount10
    4 years ago

Hello Gulhan Miller, hope you and your family are well. Any updates on the playroom?

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is what I have done so far, but the whole room is changing! I am not sure if you can see it but it is in the back walls

• drblount10
    3 years ago

I like the cubbies and play table! Is it working for the kids? Keep us posted!

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My boys love it. We built a lego table top for the white desk too so they can work or play.

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is what we did with our basement: silver paint, changed fireplace, and painted baseboards and every other thing white

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Basement remodel

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Great job. It’s looks so much more put together

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. It is finally done

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Love the basement and play area!

• partim
    3 years ago

What a welcoming family space! Good job!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

Fantastic! Love what you did, I bet the kids love it too.

• Gulhan Miller
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all. My boys just love it. My husband also built a lego table top that goes on top of the white desk I bought online.

• motupeg
    3 years ago

I like the new wall color!