lilyfinch

Spring : a time for new beginnings

I so hope no one feels toes are being stepped on . I wish jim would pop in and let us know How he is doing !! In this crazy time we need to keep in contact and let each other know if we need prayers or help or support in some way . We have all been friends for so long and Have become family!

so jim , I am not taking the job from you , (unless you don’t want it ! ) just wanted to start the spring thread and ask that we fill it with hope and joy and beauty, as well as our thoughts and fears and being a shoulder to anyone who needs it . This thread has been a wonderful tradition that keeps us connected all over the world !

• sara_ann-z6bok

flowers, at this point I don’t want to change my user name, but how ever you want to refer to me is fine, I’ll answer to either! I guess there should be some consistency though!

I’m not sure why I have such a unique name, my sisters are Carol, Elaine, Nancy and Paula, and my brothers are John, David, Joe, Steve and James. I guess I’m special! Lol!

My mom Pauline (on the left) turned 90 on March 31, 2011, and we celebrated on that day, that’s when this picture was taken. She passed away in 2012 on this day, April 4th, just 5 days after her 91st birthday. The lady on the right is her older sister Inez. She passed away in 2018, a few months after she turned 102. I miss both of these wonderful ladies!

This is a picture of my Mom as a young woman, I thought she was gorgeous! But back in those days women were classy looking!

And my dad. He passed away in 2004 at the age of 87. March 27th would have been his 103rd birthday. They were married on his birthday, March 27, 1943.

• rosecanadian

jjpeace - yes, it's definitely a scary time. Keep safe everybody.

Kenneth - yes, that is such a lovely rose!

Merlene - that is so interesting that your siblings have more bland names...like mine...Carol. Whereas you have this really interesting name! Are you the youngest? I love the pictures of your parents/aunt. I love looking at pictures of people when they were younger and comparing them to how they are now. Your mom certainly was beautiful! And it looks like you have longevity genes in your family!

Where to begin!?! First time home owners looking for help.

Thanks for your comments everyone. Let me see if I can answer some questions and also make a couple of comments. The floors on the first floor (with exception of one of the bedrooms) are all hard wood and are finished the same color. To be honest, I can't tell you with certainty what type of wood it is. I will need to ask a designer or contractor when they are in the home. Many people have commented about the bookshelves looking like they are standing on stilts. I agree and I am not a fan of the look, but there is a baseboard radiator running under the bookshelf. Any idea on how to close this off, while still keeping it open to allow convection to heat the room? HomeCheckDallas, all pictures are of the same room. Although not taken at the same time. The furniture in the room belongs to the sellers (close on the home this week). The one picture with the wainscotting is from the entryway of the home looking into the living room (the room which is the focus of this discussion). There is only one fireplace in this room (the one with the green marble). JWInteriors, thank you for the recommendations. You'll notice that there is a small built in to the left of the fireplace. The fireplace does not stand far off the wall in this room. There is another fireplace on the other side of the green marble one (in the kitchen area). This fireplace stands further off that wall. On the other side of the wall to the right of the fireplace (where you suggested adding a built in), there is a baseboard radiator which runs along the length of that wall on the kitchen side. Not sure how much more difficult this would make adding a built in to that side. ebrahimipm, we will definitely consult with a designer. We don't want to end up wasting our efforts (and money). Although, I am really enjoying this discussion. It is helping me to better understand our options, what I like, and what to discuss with the designer. I am in a rural area about 30 minutes south of Boston. Thanks again everyone. -Shawn

Spring for new cabinets or re-use and re-paint the old?

I don't understand what you mean that you would only need a 18" base cabinet and a 24" upper...which you would paint I assume along with the other cabinets in place or you would get Shaker cabinets in quarter sawn oak for which you would have to spend several thousand dollars. There is a huge difference between the two as you obviously know, and your kitchen is not huge so maybe there is some other route to take to get the kitchen you'd like. Something like RTA (ready to assemble) unpainted cabinets which then can be painted a color that would work with a butcher block countertop. You put up a photo of white cabinets and of course a bright white in a windowless kitchen would be a great idea. Have you thought about wall color, backsplash ideas? Your floor looks like gray tile. Is it? You have taken out a wall. Are you enlarging the kitchen? Some additional information as well as photos of your current kitchen would be helpful.

New Beginnings, new budget!

I tell my clients when starting from scratch to start by finding the pieces you absolutely need first, so sofa or what ever pieces you want for LR T.V bed dressers for storge if needed lamps night table coffeee table etc. This gets the big tiicket items figured out and then you can start adding other stuff some of which you might take some time to find the perfect ones. Did you come with no kitchen stuff at all, then I would suggest you go to a good kitchen store like Williams and Sonona for all the basics this will eat into the budget for sure.Have fun this is adream come true for lots of people so enjoy your new journey.

new beginnings with herb & vegetable garden

Google a "Seedy Saturday" or a "Seedy Sunday" in your area. It is where people come together and swap seeds. You can also purchase them at low prices from vendors there. Great way to find some non-GMO, non-restricted use seeds. Now is the time to plan this as many of the "Seedy" events are in February. Also, make it a priority to find local horticultural groups, and their plant sales, which usually happen throughout May. Gardeners are more than willing to share, CHEAP or FREE. Don't waste time and money elsewhere. You might want to become active in the Gardenweb forums, which are now a part of Houzz. The gardeners there can provide answers to many plant-specific questions, have topics which might be helpful (e.g. "New to gardening"), they have exchanges, etc.
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Sara Ann, you have a very handsome family. Your mother has the sweetest expression in both photos. She must have been a patient and nurturing woman to raise 10 children. I think you got your loving nature from her. I agree, people were classy in those days. The times were just more glamorous than today's casual style.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Thank you both. My mom was very sweet, not perfect, and us kids could sure try her patience at times! I don’t recall her or my dad ever yelling at us. We definitely knew we were loved. When I think back, I know it was a struggle financially, but we were always well cared for. My dad was a Baptist preacher, but never pastored big churches. A lot of the time, he was a door to door salesmen, he was pretty good at that, so that was a big help financially. Besides my mom just being a mom, she had a beautiful soprano singing voice, and would sing a solo at church occasionally. My dad was also a good singer.

When my mom was about 48, she finally went to work outside of the home, she was a bookkeeper and Chief Fiscal Officer for the Head Start Program for a three county area. She loved that job! We always lived in the country, and when I was a very young child they owned a dairy. My mom worked very hard, but she loved It, because it brought in extra income. We all turned out pretty good and gave them some wonderful grandchildren and great grandchildren!

This is probably our best family picture, we are all in the picture. Also our oldest niece Rebecca (my sister Carol’s daughter), who is being held by my brother Joe. She is only four months younger than my sweet baby sister Paula. I am on the left end, between my sisters Nancy and Elaine. Age wise, I’m the middle girl and almost the middle child. My brother John, who is in the Marine uniform, was home on leave from Camp Pendleton, unfortunately soon to leave for Vietnam where he was killed in action. This picture would have been taken by John’s fiancée Peggy.

plant-growing

Yesterday I was preparing to plant roses, I was looking for the right information to plant them correctly. Here is what I found Planting roses in the spring in the open ground

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Wonderful photos! Enjoying everyones posts! :-)

• rosecanadian

Hey Merlena - that is so sad about your brother. I guess it's been a long time now, but I hate that he didn't get to grow old. I can recognize you from your avatar photo! You haven't changed very much! Thanks for the picture...I love it!

That's a gorgeous yellow rose!

Well, the weather here is still the pits. We have 3 or 4 days of snow ahead of us with temps too low for the roses to come out. There are two days coming where they can go out and in....and then to stay in until the 14th...that's when they can start going in and out for real. Sheesh...what a crappy spring.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

LIttle Asher....

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Jim, what a gorgeous ! love his name,

• sara_ann-z6bok

He’s precious, Jim!

Thank you, Carol, yes, that was a very sad time for our family. John was only 20, he was very soft spoken and a real gentleman, but also had a wonderful sense of humor. That was in 1966, and will soon be 54 years ago.

Shopping has become frustrating. Most of the food items have been fairly easy to find, but the stores do run out of stuff. I’m really not that excited about going to the store anyway, so my two oldest grandchildren have been picking up some items for me. I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to get paper towels, Bounty preferred, but they’ve been out of those everywhere, can’t even order them online. I can’t find any masks online, I could order them, but it says they won’t arrive until late May or some time in June, I was able to order some vinyl gloves that will arrive in a few days. Overall though, it almost seems futile to try to get what I really need, forget hand sanitizer! I guess we’re all in the same boat, what’s been your experience?

• rosecanadian

Merlena - I was sneezing these really wet huge sneezes and my throat was feeling a little weird. I was a bit worried...but I feel fine now. But it's so scary! I think quite often of the variety of men that went to war. How much harder it must have been for some ... for example...would men with Aspergers be made to fight, and soft-spoken gentlemen like your brother who couldn't imagine killing someone, etc. etc. ... war is so awful.

Anyway...back to happier things. I made a delicious ham...it is soooo delicious! I haven't made ham in almost 30 years as my kids hate ham...the idea of eating a pig after watching Charlotte's Web and Babe the Pig movies.. I made a sauce with boiled down plums, honey and pineapple sauce. To die for!!!

Jim - oh my goodness...those are the cutest baby pictures I've seen in a very long time!! Did you take those pictures?

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Carol, no my sisters son took those pics...

• Ann9BNCalif

Jim - I love the baby pics! He's a real cutie.

Kenneth - The orange/yellow contrast of Beautiful Day reminds me of a daffodil! Certified has some great roses that I wish we could order directly from them.

Merlena - thank you for sharing the photos and stories of your family! I especially love the photos of your parents where a different time in America comes through. I see that time in photos of my family too!

Nick - My Evelyn is trying to bloom too but the early ones will be much smaller than yours! I'm in the North Bay and most of my roses are still buds but coming along well. Here's one that just bloomed - "Windsor Castle Wedding" from Heirloom. It came in December and started to grow vigorously from day one. It's missing the yellow undertone that Heirloom has in their photos but it does have light stripping which surprised me. The fragrance is mild so far but I think this rose needs more warmth for everything to come together. I've learned not to judge a new rose by its very first blooms.

Put on your sunglasses because it really is this bright!

Ann

• rosecanadian

Oh, Ann!! That is a glorious picture!! Swoon!!!

It's so discouraging here...-5C/23F and over the next 2 weeks...7 of them have snow in the forecast. Sigh.

• titian1 10b Sydney

Jim, what wonderful photos. Asher is a cutie.

Merlena, a great photo of your family. Sad about your older brother. My boyfriend in those days, had a red MGB that had belonged to a young chap who'd died in Vietnam. Those younger two brothers of yours look like a bundle of mischief. Are they still?

'The rain it raineth everyday' here (almost) for the past few weeks. After 18months or so of drought. So good for all our new plantings. It's my daughter's 40th this month, and what does she want for her birthday - a weeping cherry tree! I never could have predicted that one! We had plans to go to India, then Italy when we had to postpone going to India, and now we'll probably spend it - happily - in the garden!

We're rather enjoying this time. The moon and stars are so bright, and the air so clear and there are less cars on the road. A friend was telling me yesterday that vegetable seeds are sold out.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

! Oops! I thought I'd written on this post but I actually added it to another thread.. Oh well. Anyway in addition to what I wrote there pair a couple of pics from yesterday's walk in the backyard. It was a fantastically beautiful day and was wonderful to see all of the old friends meaning the wildflowers and trees just starting to Bud out. Here is also a picture of the Magnolia last week.

Please click for detail. I love these little Bridges.

• Nola z5aWI

Vapor that magnolia is glorious! It's about to burst! You have some very pretty hiking/hunting land, that's where I'd be too! :)

SaraAnn, I am so sorry about your brother. It is wonderful that you were able to get a great picture of him and your family though. I really liked hearing your story, thank you!

Jim, that little guy is a cutie!

Ann and Kenneth, beautiful roses!

• pippacovalent

Oh my goodness I feel like roses are arriving non stop lately. As soon as I get them planted more show up. I have roses in the front and back yards and I'm finding that it's taking forever to plant in the front because people won't follow the social distancing rules at all for some reason. I have my teenager be my lookout so when someone is coming down the sidewalk he can warn me so I can go up by the house because despite the stay at home order wwe have everyone is acting like nothing is going on and even letting their little kids ride scooters right up to people...with the parents no where in sight to supervise anything. So I start to dig a hole but have to stop 10 times so it takes forever. Anyway, I shouldn't complain because at least I dont have Kristine's coughing neighbor!! Sheesh!

Anyway, I just planted Darcey Bussell and Marc Chagall...I'm so excited about these and I have them both right in front in the front yard. I have some more from DA coming in a few days and thankfully they are for planting away from the sidewalk so it will be easier. I also have several lilies coming soon too...it's so nice to have gardening and flowers right now.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

I love the beautiful pictures! Ann, that’s one gorgeous rose! Vaporvac, beautiful magnolia!

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your kind words. Seems like since I’ve gotten older I think much more about my brother John and what he missed out on and what we missed by him not being here with us.

Trish, those two were a handful, and I’m pretty sure where my mom got most of her gray hair as she got older! My mom was also their biggest defender, sometimes my dad was pretty tough on them, but they sure got into their share of mischief, especially as teenagers! They both have grown up to be good, responsible men.

A Weeping Cherry Tree sounds beautiful!

My roses are setting on lots of buds, and I’m so anxious to see some blooms!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    yesterday

Did someone say weeping cherry?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    yesterday

Pippa, I just planted Marc chigall too

We can compare notes. Mine is bareroot in a pot .

You will love Darcy. She is a very good bloomer and mine is one of the last to stop blooming

Isn't this the best time of year when our long awaited roses arrive? It is so exciting!

I am also anxiously waiting for my dahlias to arrive.

• rosecanadian
    yesterday

I'm getting slightly depressed about spring. Snow, cold weather...repeat. Sigh. My roses will never go outside it seems.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    yesterday

I'm so sorry Carol

It is depressing when you are patiently waiting for spring and the weather doesn't cooperate.

Hopefully it will come soon and then you will finally be able to play with your plants and get your new purchases potted.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    yesterday

I think the false start made it doubly difficult. I know this isn't possible, but if anyone ever needed a greenhouse, it's you! You'd be there all winter tending your hothouse beauties and sipping cups of tea.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Carol, I can sympathize. My husband asked if we could get the roses out of the garage about 3 weeks ago. I told him a few more days because the forecast was looking good, then, a few more days, and a few more days, and they're still in the garage. We keep getting random snow days and nighttime temps dipping into the 20s. There's no point in hoping for an early spring here. Mother's Day is the earliest it ever comes.

Are there greenhouses where you don't have to mess with heaters and humidifiers and all that paraphernalia?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    yesterday

flowers, a friend built a lean-to type which benefited from the heated house. I don't believe it had independent heating outside of a portable oil heater. This sort of thing is popular in England which is, of course, much warmer. If I had a good exposure, I'd consider one myself.

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

I'll rejoin this discussion later--I'm pretty down right now, but here is a message of hope for better days. Diane

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    yesterday

Thanks, Vap. I think about it now and then, but get hung up on the inner workings of a greenhouse. I would love a place for seed starting as well as to house my potted roses during winter. Something to think about.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    yesterday

WOW!, Diane, if that rainbow doesn't lift your spirits, nothing I can say will. I hope you find something good to rest your mind on today along with that perfect rainbow to lift you out of the doldrums. I should talk! I know I'm a bit depressed, too.

Northland's opening day is tomorrow, but they have asked those of us picking up our rose orders to wait a month because of the crummy weather. Anything else like bags of compost, amendments, etc., have to be phoned or emailed in, paid for, and will be brought to the car by employees. Not the usual fun opening day. There is so much more to see there this year, but no one can see it - or, I'm afraid - buy it.

Tell us about the photo. Did you take it? Or, maybe one of your artistic granddaughters? Was it recent? It's magnificent.

• pippacovalent
    yesterday

That's such a beautiful rainbow I love when you can see the entire thing!

• rosecanadian
    yesterday

Sounds like I'm not alone. And, yes, that false start we had really made this worse. It got my hopes up. Plus, I haven't been out of the house forever. My husband is going to the bank...and I'm going to go with him...stay in the car...but just get out of the house.

Come on spring!

Diane - I love the rainbow!

Oops...I have to go now...daughter problems

• rosecanadian
    yesterday

It's like our house is in a snow globe...talk about snowing!!! Crap. LOL

• titian1 10b Sydney
    yesterday

So sorry to hear you're down in the dumps, Diane. And flowers and Carol.

Nothing much going on here in the way of blooms, but piles and piles of prunings to get rid of. It would be great to have a bonfire, but it just keeps on raining! Not all the time though, so I'm lucky, and can get outside to keep adding to the piles!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Such a beautiful picture Diane! And so sorry you, Carol and flowers are feeling down. You three always make me feel better! It’s difficult not to feel down these days, with what we‘re all going through now. I have to keep telling myself, it will get better! I do know roses have been an escape these days, it does help. Hoping for spring and a warm up for everyone soon!

Kristine, here’s a picture of my DARCEY BUSSELL, I wish mine was as good as yours. I did notice it’s grown quite a bit. It has had some beautiful blooms from time to time.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    23 hours ago

Thank you all for the good wishes, but I'm just whining. We are stocked up and have a comfortable place to be isolated. My heart breaks for those who are confined to a house with someone who might be cruel or even violent, both of which can accelerate under the circumstances.

I got out today to drop off some mail and do some banking, and didn't have to get out of the car either time. My grandson will laugh at the birthday card I sent him. It was a sympathy / encouragement card, but he knows I have not been out, and keeps telling me to stay inside. My husband would rather chew off his arm than shop for cards. Just driving down the highway and getting some fresh air for a few minutes was rejuvenating. The lack of traffic was shocking during peak traffic hours. Kind of eerie.

Sara Ann, such a great photo! Why don't I have Darcey??? I ask myself that every time I see her. This will be the year for more pale Austins for me. I ought to be adding brighter colors, but I can't help myself.

Trish, with your daughter's new interest in gardening, she might like trying to root a few of those cuttings and see what happens. Beginners often have the best luck.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    23 hours ago

John Prine died of Covid-19. I loved him. What a loss of one of the great ones.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)
    23 hours ago

Sheila -- I just posted the video of John Prine and Stephen Colbert singing a duet - That's the World Goes Round (on my FB page). Have you seen it? Very sweet. RIP.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)
    23 hours ago
    last modified: 22 hours ago

Okay -- so I thought I had some time to get caught up on your news and post a bit, but then my Dad called because all of his "sent" mail is not sending and just sitting in his outbox. After an hour, I could not solve his problem over the phone. And there went my Houzz social time. I will catch up later, and in the meantime assure you that spring is coming. Here are some photos. But don't laugh at my flower arranging skills. I'm so bad. I tried posting 3 more photos in a separate post 3x, but Houzz keeps disappearing it. Oh well. These will have to suffice!

• rosecanadian
    21 hours ago

Titian - the end of next week will start the season of going back and forth to the garage with my roses. I'll be happier then. I'm just not feeling it now. Rain where you are ... snow here. Blech. :)

Merlena - Thanks for the empathy...it helps. :) It really does! Earlier today, I couldn't even look at rose pictures...made me too upset. But now I can appreciate them....gosh, that's a great picture of DB!! Such a happy color!

Flowers - yes, I went out for a short drive today...it did help a lot!

It's going to snow Friday, Sat and Sun...so I'm giving you all a heads up for the upcoming whine-fest from me. LOL

Deborah - thanks for the cheer! Darn about your Houzz time being gone...and your Dad still has his problem. Rats. Wow! Everything is so lush where you are! And I love your sheltie and flagstones! What a nice cool place to rest in the heat of summer when it comes. Your Winchester Cathedral?? looks great! Such a vivid white!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    21 hours ago

Carol oh, I'm commiserating. I brought all my potted plants and cuttings outside cuz it was above 40 at night all this week but now we may have Frost over the weekend! I have to drive them all back in and probably not for that long and then take them all back out again. But it's coming I'm halfway through my pruning at least. You just have to hold on a little longer. Still go out for your walks like you used to with no gloves on?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    16 hours ago
    last modified: 16 hours ago

Thank you flowers and Carol!

It is difficult to think about those who live in abusive situations and so unfortunate that’s even an issue at any time. Especially concerning for the children who depend on school as a respite from an unhappy home life.

Beautiful pictures Deborah!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    13 hours ago

Merlena your Darcy is beautiful! Absolutely a stunner!.

One year mine was the first to bloom but I dont know about this year because Distant Drums ( it's first year ) has taken off like crazy and I remember someone saying that it's the first to bloom for them.

We finally have wonderful weather which just makes it sadder to not be able to get together with the family for .Easter. Someone reminded me that the first Easter the Disciples were locked in a room hiding

So I guess that this is closer to the original Easter. No bunnies or baskets, no eggs, no gathering together. But I am still so grateful to celebrate Easter with or without all of the stuff.

Yesterday we finally turned the water back on and I had a chance to give everything a good drink. The rain of last week was kind of a bust so everything was ready for some water and fertalizer.

For my rose friends still in the midst of the yuk and snow my heart goes out to you as you wait for warmer days. The false spring is the worst and hopefully sooner than later your weather will be warm and lovely.

There will be a house next door to me for sale before long so if you get fed up with the snow here is your opportunity for a nice Zone 8 house. Justi saying

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    9 hours ago

Kristine, I'm tempted to jump on the house next door to you, sight unseen. What an opportunity for a gardener, and living next door to you would make every day fun.

SUCH a good point about the first Easter. It's sobering. We're hiding, too, from a deadly virus.

It usually rains on Easter, but we always managed to have our egg hunt. I've told before about our friends who reverse the egg hunt and the grown kids hide goodie bags for the adults filled with all sorts of things, like stocking gifts. They're personalized, so you have to find the one with your name on it. If you find someone else's, you can't tell. The last time we participated, it was raining, and we ended up like soaked rats, but definitely worth all the laughs. I guess they won't be doing that this year.

Deborah, your white rose doesn't look quite like my Winchester Cathedral, so I'm guessing it's Bolero? But, Carol knows her roses, so I'm probably wrong. I recommended Bolero to my daughter in Pasadena. She wants a white rose that stays short. Her Iceberg blooms were all above her head. I assured her that Bolero stays smallish even in So. CA. I hope I'm right. I think French Lace stays short, too, in case Bolero doesn't work out.

• Diane Brakefield
    9 hours ago

I guessed Bolero, too, Flowers. Diane

• rosecanadian
    6 hours ago

Vaporvac - I never use gloves, even in the coldest weather. I just don't need them. LOL You have a good memory! Keep ahead of that frost. :)

Kristine - zone 8!! What a temptation!! And living next door to you and your garden!! In Ontario, Premier Ford has deemed the Easter Bunny to be an essential server...and will be allowed to hide candy...as long as it's not somewhere public. LOL That was a good reminder about the first Easter. Thanks for commiserating with us. :) And I'm glad you have better weather now. I just have to wait about 2 weeks...yay!!!

Flowers - Thanks for the vote of confidence :) .... but I don't know roses that well...especially Austins which I only grow one or two. It's probably Bolero! :)

• Nola z5aWI
    3 hours ago

Here is my new beginning from last year with Lemon Spice. So looking forward to this year!

Here is at the end of August is Twilight Zone (top)

and a little scraggly Munstead Wood. Funny how close in color.

Lady of Shallot, LaReine, Twilight Zone (playing peek-a-boo) and Munstead Wood.

Now that is a zapp of color! Bam!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    1 hour ago

Sheila, I'm sad with you that the world has lost John Prine. I know he was a favorite of yours.

Diane, I think we're right about Bolero. Tell us the story behind that perfect rainbow photo.

Nola, what a pretty yellow. I detect a tad more purple in Twilight Zone than Munstead, but you'd hardly notice the difference if you weren't looking for it.

Just returned from Northland. It was a very welcome bit of normalcy and just what I needed. I came home with 4 clems and a bag of their custom blend rose food that's great for getting new roses off to a good start. A lot of the things I was hoping to find will be delivered tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to force myself to go back.

Well, this isn't working. I can't get Daisy off my lap and I can't see or reach the keyboard.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    1 hour ago
    last modified: 1 hour ago

Those are lovely Nola! So colorful!

I just tried to post a bunch of pictures, they disappeared!

Here‘s the best one! My daughter sent me this picture this evening of my youngest grandson Joe, sure miss this little fella, and the whole bunch!

The other pictures were a couple of first blooms, a few buds that are about to open and my ARE order which I am very impressed with. Their roses are big and healthy looking and I love the way they are packed so securely, and so easy to unpack. I ordered 2 Belindas’s Dream, Don Juan, Mme Isaac Pereire, Maggie and Setina from them.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    1 hour ago

flowers, I didn’t see your post. I’m glad you enjoyed your Northland trip. I think it’s good to try to find a little normalcy right now. My sister Paula was telling me how excited she is to go buy her perennials. The place where she gets them is doing it by appointment and she can hardly wait!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    12 minutes ago
    last modified: just now

Flowers, you got to go to Northland? How fun is that! I have 3 roses coming from them next week..

Today was my first time out of the house in almost a month . My husband usually does the shopping but I needed Birthday cards so I got to go. Seeing so many people in masks made me feel less dorky in mine

Nola, your Lemon Spice is so beautiful