How to make gray cabinets look less blue

Lori Landon

Our cabinets finished being installed and the ones we have against the wall are looking very blue. They are suppose to be a very light gray, nearly white. We have not picked any colors for the painting, backsplash, etc., so I am looking for ideas of how to tone down this blue. We plan to do gold/brass light fixtures and hardware, appliances are stainless steal. Attached are pictures of the cabinets now as well as from the website so show what the more intended color is. Thanks for your help! The cabinets against the wall are mist gray, and the island is graphite gray.

• Hillside House

Bad news: the gold hardware will make them look more blue.

• houssaon

I don't see blue in the cabinets. I see green. I like them. I also like your hardware choice.

Sectional Appears Blue/Brown... How do I make it look gray?

Can you take it apart? The long part looks like it could be a couch. Then maybe the other pieces can be a corner couch with a table yes I think this could work. The color is quite a chameleon. What color are the walls now? Also what do you intend on using this room for? Is this a TV room? Here are a couple of ideas using it as a TV room.

Carpet color to make paint look less blue

My son just did the same thing, and since he didn't like it, he repainted instead of trying to get anything to match. I myself like your color and would emphasize the color by putting in a carpet that has some of that identical color and maybe a tiny bit of black and some dove grey/ Kind of a tweed look.

How to make grey look less brown

I am so sick of grey! You'll need to repaint. Choose a grey with much more blue in it. Does this room have a good amount of natural light? Think about that as well as the ambient lighting, the brightness of the white ceiling, the furnishings I the room, etc

Sofa looks more taupe than gray. How can I make it look more gray?

You'll be surprised as to how different your sofa will looks once you add the coffee table, art work, lamps, etc. Have your purchased these pieces yet? You are absolutely right about the effect of light on colors. Have you tried changing out your lightbulbs? In my home I have a lot of smaller light fixtures (can light on the floor lighting up, torchiere, table lamps, accent lamps). With some I put in different colored light bulbs (incandescent for the yellow, soft pink for a warm glow, a blue in the can light) to balance the colors overall in my room. Have fun experimenting with the colors of light, and how it can impact your room.
  • darbuka

Could be as simple as changing your lightbulbs.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

You probably don't want to hear this, but bluer walls will make the cabinets look less blue. And changing the light bulbs could work. In any case I think they look beautiful!

• njmomma

following

• RedRyder

There are light bulb pros on Houzz. Let’s hope they chime in as it may seem as simple as a different warmth of bulb. Unfortunately it does seem like your beautiful brass hardware may “enhance” the blue but i would change the bulbs first.

Norwood Architects

Your wall color will have a big impact on the cabinetry color because of contrast and because the cabinetry will reflect some of the color. Natural lighting will also have an effect depending on whether is it indirect north lighting or direct southern exposure. And, of course, the type of lamp (light bulb) you choose for your lighting fixtures will also have an effect.

Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design

Hello Lori,
    Since you are in the painting stage what do you think about having your painter paint the cabinets white? Then you would be able to do anything you want as far as color is concerned in the kitchen. The colors you have chosen are beautiful and would reflect well off of your white cabinets. This may be The easiest solution to the blue in what is supposed to be your gray cabinets.

• flopsycat1

I see the blue you described and agree, it does not look like Mist as posted by Meriilat. Since I assume that they are factory painted, how has the manufacturer responded? Repainting them would obviously be very expensive, and probably not as durable a finish as that from the factory. The color, however, is nice, although clearly not what you envisioned. Is it possible that playing up the blue might help to embrace it? I hope some color expert can assist you and that you end up very happy with the end result.

• pamtheartist

I think maybe the taupey color of the unfinished sheetrock is giving you a false blue look to the cabinets. On my screen they look fine by the way. I would have the backsplash color be as close as possible to the countertops. And what is the plan for the floor? Paint, hardware and light fixtures can all be chosen after the floor and backsplash are done. Get a lighting consultant, not an electrician. Painting new cabinets should be the very last resort.

• decoenthusiaste

You're in mid-construction and the elements that will surround and influence the cabinet color are not in place yet. Go to a local hardware store and keep the receipt so you can return some "sample" hardware to bring in to the site and try with the cabs. That might tell you what do to.

• njmomma

Not a Pro.

I saw this, maybe it would help. I think the wall paint , floor and leather tones it down. They used a gray chair in the dining area.

Kitchen · More Info

• Lori Landon

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. We do have lots of natural light from both the south and west. This room opens up to the dining room which does have grey and blue seats, and a wooden table. The floors are maple. We don't plan to redo them as they are the original floors and extend throughout the place. I think I would be okay with pulling the blue out rather than covering it. Right now it's the in between of not knowing what to call the color that makes it hard to pinpoint. I don't think we want to go down the road of painting them right now, but would rather work with what we can.

We will for sure play around with lighting. Paint and back splash may have to hold off for a while due to Covid-19. Our contractor rushed to get the cabinets and counter tops done before the city shut down. The cabinet company is also shut down right now so we can't contact them to see if this is a usual problem. Luckily the delivery of the appliances was considered "life sustaining." Otherwise we would be continuing to eat cold cuts and take out for who knows how long.

• flopsycat1

Seems like you’ve the right approach! I just had one other simple idea. Can you remove a cabinet door or drawer and take it outside in the daylight? That would show you whether or not the unfinished sheetrock was throwing the color off. You could also hold it up to a white wall.

• btydrvn

You can never be sure about color until you get your lighting is in...and your walls are painted...at this point you can start by trying different bulbs.... unfortunately these decisions will need to be done on site...it is impossible to be sure about these subtle color decisions from pictures..

Beth H. :

I don't think they look that blue. relax.

once you get everything installed and the walls painted, it will come together. I like the gold you've chosen.

play around w/some sample paint colors.

as for the lights,,,the higher the K temp, the bluer the light. but 3500-4000K is normally pretty neutral.

Home Interiors with Ease

They are beautiful....you need to give time to get flooring and walls painted..the gold hardware will look so pretty...I think this will be very close to your outcome...you will love it!

• Heather S

Love them the way they are, and agree they will take on a different look when everything else comes together... I think the lighting and hardware you picked will be perfect with them as well. Good luck!

• Jennifer Hogan

We don't always have the option to pick colors in a space, especially when it is new construction and paint sometimes is selected before lighting.

The best way to do this is select colors in natural daylight.

Get a big white towel, shower curtain liner, sheet, table cloth - whatever you have that is white.

Lay it over a table outside about 2:00 in the afternoon on a clear day.

Take a cabinet door or drawer front outside and place it on the table. For now, while restricted, pick different colors from your home and place them next to the cabinets (clothing, linens, books). Play with the color combinations and see how the cabinet color changes as you place different items with the cabinets.

Anything yellow/orange will make gray appear more blue, the closer you get to blue the more yellow grays will appear.

the center color in all 4 samples below is the same color gray - just looks different next to other colors.

I don't think you will need to go blue to get the cabinets to look more neutral, light gray, but you will want to stick with less yellow toned neutrals.

Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design

Hello again Lori, welcome to what I call the house to table

Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design

As I was saying welcome to the Houzz tip table where you will find many wonderful ideas and suggestions. We are sincerely sorry that your project has come to a halt at this time. Projects can be challenging enough without having to face these sort of constraints. It is our hope that you will be able to resume in the near future. It is also our hope that amongst the ideas and suggestions that you find the solution that works the best for you. This is such a pivotal point in your remodel.
    This is Marcie from May Day. Lori, whatever you decide to do regarding the cabinets I sincerely hope that you will be happy with them for days to come. There is nothing more frustrating than finishing a project only to have that one thing that bothers you for the lifetime of the remodeled room. I urge you sincerely from my heart to do whatever you can now at this pivotal moment in your remodel to correct the color problem with your cabinets. I do speak from personal experience. It is no fun to have the words I wish I had, go through your mind once the project is completed and there is no turning back. I have seen this both for myself and my clients. I hope that all goes well and that he will be able to finish your project very soon. Best wishes, Marcie

• Rebecca

I don’t see blue, or gray. Clearly green.

Home Interiors with Ease

Lori have you moved forward with the color?

• jbtanyderi

What kind of lighting are you using? That affects the appearance of the colour.

• Lori Landon

Update for you all. Our contractor was able to finish up most of the work, which we are relieved about. Attached are some before and after pictures. We are really happy with the final result. We will still play around with bulbs to see what happens to the cabinets, but they have grown on us. There are some pictures with and without the lights on, but there's so much natural light at the moment, it doesn't really make a difference :). Please ignore the cute but misbehaved cat that I'm trying to teach not to jump on the island. Probably a lost cause.

Since we won't be able to go out and look at back splash for a while and see what we like, we are open to any internet ideas for the time being! Thanks!

Home Interiors with Ease

Just as beautiful as I thought they would be! Enjoy

• flopsycat1

Congratulations, it looks great! Good luck teaching a cat anything.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

You did a great job, Lori! Enjoy your new kitchen!

• B F

it looks beautiful!

• RedRyder

Looks wonderful! As for the cat: our extremely well behaved Tuxedo was all over the kitchen and our contractor when we refaced. He was sweet and patient with her but we were embarrassed (especially since she’s never been that intrusive). When the kitchen was done, she went back to her normal self. It’s possible the work is upsetting your cat, who now feels the need to sit on the island to claim his/her space.

• btydrvn

In regards to the backsplash ...in a case like this...where it may be in full view to other areas of the home ....the first decision will be ...should it be monochromatic or do you love a color enough to add it when it may dictate some of your future decor choices?

• btydrvn

If color is scary ...sparkly is a good place to go

• mrichter54

Beautiful kitchen! Well done!

Beth H. :

looks very nice Lori. what kind of tile do you think you want? Since eveything is rather monotone, do you want to stay w/that or perhaps do something w/a little pattern maybe little green color?

take a look at Encore. they have so many glazes, shapes, sizes, crackle glass etc

I really love their Chevron in Mixed Rain. (again, you can do simple white colors too)

or from Tilebar (and you get 5 samples for $5, with free candy!) lol

this is Harlequin. comes in diff colors. Tundra may look nice w/your grays.

they also have a linear calacatta marble.

another poster on here did it in her kitchen

Or maybe a beveled subway tile (calacatta) ^

tilebar also has Montauk, 4x4

Fireclay also carries them but in an array of colors. what do you think about a soft sage/gray color?

I also really like the Zellige tiles in the stacked layout.

Home Interiors with Ease

Beth what do you think of a dark graphite tile....like the island.

Beth H. :

HIWE, yes. like that idea too. most people don't like dark so I don't mention it too often.

Do we like a Zellige? I'm digging these glossy graphite tiles

or maybe something more modern looking

or more Moorish?

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Love Zeliige tiles. If you use them, make sure you get an installer who knows what they're doing.

Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design

The kitchen looks beautiful. Hope that you will be happy with it for many year to come.

• Laurence

Super cute kitchen!

A marbled effect backsplash would give a "kick" to your kitchen. Either with big ceramic tiles or if you can huge slabs of ceramic/quartz (but they be very pricey).

Or a Herringbone effect. Wether with dark grouts for contrast, or white grout if you want the wall to blend in.