olychick2

Any "brilliant" ideas you've had to deal with shortages?

Olychick

This is mine, though I hesitate to call it "brilliant"! I don't use disinfecting wipes too often, just for few things, so a package lasts me forever. But I have found them handy for wiping things down that come in the house. I could use rags and bleach solution but always hate worrying about getting bleach splatters on my clothes.

I used a couple of them tonight to wipe down some grocery packages and realized they aren't really tissues but a woven fabric that seems to be indestructible. I decide to put the used ones in a covered plastic container, like an old large yogurt tub and save them. When I get enough, I will put them in a mesh laundry bag and throw them in the wash with another load of something. When they are clean, I'll put them in a different plastic container and add a chlorine bleach and water solution recommended for sanitizing (I have lots of bleach) and make them reusable. The washing should remove and chemicals that might react with the bleach.

Any ideas you think are worth passing on?

• bbstx

WTH! I had no idea that Splash-less Clorox was no good for disinfecting until I read it on this thread. Then I checked the brand-new gallon:

I rarely use bleach to “bleach.” I mostly use it to disinfect or sanitize. Guess I could have been doing as well with plain water!

• terezosa / terriks

Bleach also loses its effectiveness after about 6 months. And bleach mixed with water is only potent for about a day.

https://www.scripps.edu/newsandviews/e_20060213/bleach.html

Olychick thanked terezosa / terriks

HELP!! "You've definitely are challenged here,...I've never seen anything like this before..."

Thank you!, Actually, this is very similar to uncountable photos I have viewed here at houzz. To answer your question About the dinner plate, yes. The pressing concern is that the 12" stove top would have to be placed horizontally with little surrounding area. I may need to install a 15" or 18" base on that half wall. I was hoping for any ideas that may include creating a small unattached or attached island that would create an "L" shape on that side. The island could be angled in the same way that the wall wraps and encloses the fridge on the other (right) side of the kitchen. Other thoughts I had... As I have only roughed in plumbing and electrical, I could rearranged placement of the fridge, but to where.? Just prior to actual carpentry rough in, I had tried to place the bedroom door on the far right side where the fridge is now. If you look at the pic of the foyer, the door to that bedroom would have been side by side to the door you look through. But that would have entailed breaking through into the slab again, and redirecting subsurface drains. I decided I'd prefer to deal with a design challenge than cost of that, especially after waterproofing TWICE. So...i agree, light cabinets with a darker granite or fabricated counter. I have looked at a natural birch that would be very similar to the adjacent engineered bamboo hardwood., but wonder if too matchy-matchy. I do have electrical ready for under cabinet lighting. The bulkhead creates more challenges as does the actual ceiling height, 84.5"H. I can install myself, but am nervous about the variances and what design will be efficient and look great. Sorry so much...maybe that's why 1 designer did not return after taking measurements... Thank you so much for your thoughts, they are surely welcomed!

Help me deal with this fireplace!!!

Thanks for the insights Marie, very helpful ideas! The fireplace is set up for wood burning, but we have ventless gas logs and will probably never burn wood. Thinking of putting in an insert or glass doors for a more modern, streamlined look, but will at least paint the firebrick black. We decided to keep the light fixture we bought and got it up over the weekend. Actually wanted a bit larger one, but we got a good deal on this one, and like the modern look and feel of it. Also picked up a 12x24 porcelain tile sample, that's sitting on the mantle. Attached a pic of a similar tile. Thinking of using that for the fireplace resurface. It's around $4 sq ft compared to $20+ for stone veneer and we like the look as well or better. I'll get a close up of it, but is has a really natural stone look to it. Thinking of doing it in a running bond pattern and removing the columns for a flat surface. Also having dilemna over coffee table replacement. Can't find a coffee table we like so we're thinking of going with an ottoman but can't decide on round,square or rectangular. Looking for input on that too! Due to the recliner mechanism in the sofa & loveseat and the furniture placement we can't center the ottoman/coffee table under the ceiling light fixture.

Any ideas on how I can spruce up this room more? I want it to look luxurious with a hotel room feel

my immediate reaction is that you could have longer curtains that almost touch the ceiling, with a valance for drama. Also make a facade for the air conditioner. a design that allows airflow and blends into the wall (color wise). super cheap you could cover the air conditioner in peel off wallpaper to match the wall.

I need a coffee table? Any ideas?

Consider placing one chair so that it faces the corner cabinet (arm touching the sofa arm). My instinct is to place the 2nd chair between the cabinet & FP. Wish I could be standing in the room with you! lol Love the dining chairs, too. Maybe your old table can serve as a funky base for a new wooden table top. Is the TV stand an old bamboo piece? I love it! will the TV hang to the right of the FP? Then you would have room for another one of your Mom's pieces - Maybe? :)
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH

I don't have the luxury(?) of staying home. My 83yr old father lives alone, but still needs my help a couple of times a week, in general. Now I'm running to his place at least every other day. We all have different reasons for doing what we're doing, and we're trying to do it as safely as possible.

Olychick thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • mtnrdredux_gw

So repackage the groceries that need to be refrigerated.

If you are repacking them you may as well put them away , really. I have always separated perishables in my cart and bagged them separately, the thought being that i don't have to unload everything if I get interrupted. I usually do anyway.

So now people are afraid to bring inanimate objects into their house?

Yo, what is with your tone? People are simply reacting to what scientists are publishing, and taking precautions in order to preserve healthcare capacity for everyone.

Or wear gloves. Easy-peasy.

Gloves make no sense to me since the virus doesn't enter through your skin. Experts agree. Whether you get the virus on your bare hand or on a glove, if you touch your face you might contract the virus.

Guess i better don my hazmat suit and find a sealed chamber in the house to contain the viruses that will leap off it and enter my body as I sleep.

The virus can aerosolize and be suspended in air for 3 hours. That's simply the science. Glad you find that amusing.

If I had to guess, I'd say that we are all highly unlikely to get the virus from the air or a surface. But the CDC and WHO are very guarded about that ... they do not know. And there are certainly now plenty of cases of people who are getting it but have no idea how.

Olychick thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • IdaClaire

Olychick thanked IdaClaire
  • terezosa / terriks

This article written by a bone marrow transplant patient about how she protects herself from getting sick is very informative.

https://medium.com/@amcarter/i-had-no-immune-system-for-months-after-my-bone-marrow-transplant-1b097f16040c

Olychick thanked terezosa / terriks
  • bbstx

@terezosa / terriks, thanks for the link. It made more sense than almost anything I’ve read.

Olychick thanked bbstx
  • graywings123

Ditto that! Tere, that is wonderfully sensible.

Olychick thanked graywings123
  • Olychick

Not so brilliant, but I've been using disposable gloves when I go out. I pull them off before I get in the car or touch anything, then drop them into the well on the driver's door. I decided that after some period of time they wouldn't be contaminated any more, so I'm just leaving them in the garage or putting them in the sun and then I can reuse them. I could probably sanitize them but I hate handling wet rubber gloves.

• terezosa / terriks

I think that I'll use the back of my car - a small SUV, as a containment and cleaning area. I'll keep some some cloths soaked in Lysol multipurpose cleaner in a plastic tub, so that I can wipe things down as I get into the car.

Olychick thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Jasdip

And bleach mixed with water is only potent for about a day.

I always keep a spray bottle of bleach and water under my sink to spray cutting boards after cutting chicken, the sink, taps etc. It smells strongly like bleach and it's been in the bottle for weeks and weeks so how can it not work?

• Honu3421

Not brilliant, but DH made a hand washing station for my car. Jug of water, bottle of soap and paper towels. If I go out, as in to the market, I wash hands before getting back in the car. And I’ve switched to cloth napkins of which I have a gazillion. Now I’m off to read terezosa/terriks’ link.

• eld6161

Olychick thanked eld6161
  • wildchild2x2

Please show me one scientific study that supports that crazy statement in regards to dry virus on a package or item. I'll wait. Sneezes and breath vapor yes. But unless there was some way to remove the virus from the package, add water, shake well and spray what the above statement claims ain't gonna happen.

As for the wearing of gloves , well duh, you take them off after handling the potentially contaminated object. Or wash your hands.

No science has told people to fear bringing objects into their home. Again show me the citations.

No people are reacting to crazy BS they are reading on the net and the media is saying. People are reacting out of fear and anxiety and not the facts put out by the CDC and WHO.

People are reacting like they are off their meds. (maybe because they are afraid to touch the bottle from the pharmacy?)

This is getting ridiculous. You can't reason with fear, anxiety and mania reactions. Carry on.

Olychick thanked wildchild2x2
  • ci_lantro

Gloves make sense to me because the gloves would remind me to not touch my face. And you can always wash the gloves with your hands in them & hang to dry. Or just hang them outside in the sunshine and then wash your hands.

On the subject of gloves (or not wearing gloves), when I saw this idiot (link follows), I clipped & filed my nails down to the nub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M9_0pjW1GE

Proof that you can have a sheet ton of money & not be able to buy a brain.

Olychick thanked ci_lantro
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Gloves make sense to me because the gloves would remind me to not touch my face.... i agree that is one use for them but you need to not touch your face 24/7 and I would not wear gloves 24/7; i do find that if you choose a different scent then you are used to, esp a strong one, the scent of your hands can remind you not to touch your face.

Olychick thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • ci_lantro

Mtndredux, I have some gloves but have yet to use them. I do plan on wearing them next week when I have to take a commercial flight across the country, a trip with three legs, four airports and a cab. In that scenario, I think they make sense to help remind me to keep my hands off my face and to not rub my eyes. Otherwise, at home I'm washing hands, sanitizing my keyboard every couple of days and wiping down the powder room surfaces. Plus all the times x day that my hands are in soapy dishwater, etc. So, for the most part, I do agree with you. Except for the out of the ordinary, out of your element scenarios ^, that is.

Olychick thanked ci_lantro
  • share_oh

I saw this on FB - use the little doggy poop bags to touch things like gas handles when filling up your car. Then pull off and toss in the trash container. They're very cheap and you get a ton in a roll. Keep in your car for any time you might one.

Olychick thanked share_oh
  • terezosa / terriks

you need to not touch your face 24/7

Do you? When you are in your own home after you have thoroughly washed your hands?

Olychick thanked terezosa / terriks
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Oh, sorry Watchme, almost didn't see your post.

First of all, you seem to want to ignore this from my post: If I had to guess, I'd say that we are all highly unlikely to get the virus from the air or a surface. But the CDC and WHO are very guarded about that ... they do not know. And there are certainly now plenty of cases of people who are getting it but have no idea how.

Yet you provoke with nonsense like "You can't reason with fear, anxiety and mania reactions." I can't recall anyone on here acting in such a way.

I said: "The virus can aerosolize and be suspended in air for 3 hours. That's simply the science. Glad you find that amusing."

You said: Please show me one scientific study that supports that crazy statement

As published Tuesday in The New England Journal of Medicine,

When the virus becomes suspended in droplets smaller than five micrometers — known as aerosols — it can stay suspended for about a half-hour, researchers said, before drifting down and settling on surfaces where it can linger for hours. (In the study’s experimental setup, the virus stayed suspended for three hours, but it would drift down much sooner under most conditions.) ....Dr. Marr said the World Health Organization had so far referred to the virus as not airborne, but that health care workers should wear gear, including respirator masks, assuming that it is. “Based on aerosol science and recent findings on flu virus,” she said, “surgical masks are probably insufficient.”

You also said: in regards to dry virus on a package or item.

My reply: you chose to add the modified "dry." All I can say is :

per the CDC - COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning how it spreads, the severity of illness it causes, and to what extent it may spread in the United States.

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Also: SARS-CoV-2 was more stable on plastic and stainless steel than on copper and cardboard, and viable virus was detected up to 72 hours after application to these surfaces. On copper, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 4 hours […] On cardboard, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 24 hours.

CDC data published yesterday detected the faint genetic signature of viruses (viral RNA) which had survived 17 days on surfaces in cruise ships. That doesn't mean infectious virus particles were found after 17 days – only a part of the virus was detected in this study – but it does suggest there may be some cause for concern regarding how long this coronavirus can last on surfaces.

(by the by, i tend to think of online shopping as involving cardboard, but I got a few packages yesterday and was reminded how often they use plastic bags or plastic mailers)

You said: unless there was some way to remove the virus from the package, add water, shake well and spray what the above statement claims ain't gonna happen.

No idea who you are but you say unequivocally it can't happen, good for you. I already said i dont think its likely. And the experts say, "it is a new disease and we are still learning how it spreads." I remember at first they said you were unlikely to get it from someone asymptomatic as they are far less contagious than sick people (that was true w SARS and MERs I believe). Note they have totally changed their tune on that.

You said: As for the wearing of gloves , well duh, you take them off after handling the potentially contaminated object. Or wash your hands.

Devolving into "well duh" is not conducive to maintaining our community. I've already explained why I think gloves are a waste, just above The WHO also says gloves are only indicated for health care workers and those already ill or caring for the ill.

I said: Yo, what is with your tone? People are simply reacting to what scientists are publishing, and taking precautions in order to preserve healthcare capacity for everyone.

You said: No people are reacting to crazy BS they are reading on the net and the media is saying. People are reacting out of fear and anxiety and not the facts put out by the CDC and WHO. People are reacting like they are off their meds. (maybe because they are afraid to touch the bottle from the pharmacy?)

This is getting ridiculous. Carry on.

I consume media that cites Medical Journals, the WHO and the CDC. YMMV. Still loving your tone, it's just like a little ray of sunshine.

Olychick thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Lucille

I think fomites no one thinks of are our dogs. If someone coughs the droplets end up on the grass. Doggies squat to pee or just roll in the grass for the joy of it, and then come indoors. Maybe not a huge concern if you have your own back yard, but if you live in an apt. or walk the dog in a park it is something to think about.

Olychick thanked Lucille
  • Bestyears

My pup gets two pills a day and I use Pill Pockets. Of course, the other dog has to get his Pill Pocket too. I've just discovered that I can easily use just one Pill Pocket to accomplish all of this! This is one hack I intend to continue using well after this is all over.

Olychick thanked Bestyears
  • ci_lantro

Now that doggie poop bags will be in non-existent supply...

Those 5000 plastic grocery bags you have stashed that accumulated pre-virus? Slip one on your hand for a disposable 'have to touch the ick' 'glove'. (Sorry, won't work for your NYC'ers.) Most of the dog walkers in my neighborhood use the grocery bags to pick up dog poo.

Olychick thanked ci_lantro
  • mtnrdredux_gw

I could guess what "fomites" were from the context, but TBH had to look it up. Love learning new words. Wonder if there is an etymological link w "foment."

I never heard of Pill Pockets! We wrap our dogs pills in a small piece of cheese.

Olychick thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Bookwoman

Wonder if there is an etymological link w "foment."

Indeed there is. According to Merriam-Webster the word is a "back-formation from fomites, from New Latin, plural of fomit-, fomes, from Latin, kindling wood; see more at FOMENT."

Olychick thanked Bookwoman
  • mtnrdredux_gw

Wandering off to play in my OED (the one w the magnifying glass. not the 27 vol.s)

Olychick thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • daisychain01

Is there really another household that still has an OED with the magnifying glass?

Olychick thanked daisychain01
  • Bookwoman

I have one too!

Olychick thanked Bookwoman
  • ci_lantro

I had to look up OED. I thought OED's were/ are some kind of television tech but didn't make sense to need a magnifying glass with a 65" screen!

Oxford English Dictionary (I think) for other dummies like me. :-)

Olychick thanked ci_lantro
  • Lars

I'm making washcloths out of old towels, and I finish the edges with my overlock machine.

Olychick thanked Lars
  • Bookwoman

This isn't mine, but this is what it looks like. The little drawer at the top holds the magnifying glass. I got mine for $25 through the Book-of-the-Month Club back in the '80s. That was a bargain even then.

Olychick thanked Bookwoman
  • mtnrdredux_gw

I just love mine. I've bored everyone with this before, but for certain couples, my fave wedding gift is a very good quality world atlas and the OED (oh and money too).

Olychick thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • bbstx

I gave XH an OED for his birthday one year along with a nice stand to put it on. It was his. It went with him. I haven’t replaced. ETA: Let me clarify: I haven’t replaced the dictionary. I have replaced the husband.

Olychick thanked bbstx
  • Elmer J Fudd

Lucky for you bookwoman that the full edition updates take so long. Otherwise, you'd be so out of date! ;-)

Olychick thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Bookwoman

Heh. Indeed.

Olychick thanked Bookwoman
  • Gargamel

Lol - I requested the Oxford as a wedding gift when I got married 34 years ago...however now with Ms.Google I don’t really use it any more

Olychick thanked Gargamel
  • Gargamel

Lars, I sew washing mitts from washcloths.

Olychick thanked Gargamel
  • Lars

My English dictionary is Random House, 1968. I have Oxford Italian and Spanish dictionaries, and I have German dictionaries from Germany. I don't have a really good French dictionary, and my Russian dictionary is fairly small as well. I also have an old Latin dictionary somewhere that I haven't used recently.

My Italian, Spanish, and German dictionaries are up-to-date, but I guess my English one is dated by now, but I really do not care. I'm still speaking the same language (more or less) that I did back in 1968. I've been told by young Germans that I speak German like their grandmothers, but then I did first start learning German from my own grandmother. It's hard to keep up with changes in German without going to Germany.

Kevin gave me a very nice and large National Geographic World Atlas for my birthday one year. The old one I had was Readers' Digest from 1987, and so the maps of Europe are quite different from the new ones, but at least it has historical value.

Olychick thanked Lars
  • hcbm

Oh I love an old Atlas and Encyclopedias. I remember spending hours lying on the living room floor pouring over those books for hours and hours. I lived with my aunt who was an avid reader and we would have discussions about all the wonderful things I discovered. I miss having those books and my aunt.

Olychick thanked hcbm
  • mtnrdredux_gw

aww hcbm, i used to lay on the floor reading books too ... and in the summer,i remember laying in the grass reading

Olychick thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • LucyStar1

I'm confused. Did Watchmelol change their name to wildchild2x2?

• yeonassky

Yes she did. Elmer asked about our usernames on kitchen table. Watchmelol explained her usernames and then reintroduced herself as wildchild2x2.

Here's the link to that thread.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5886089/an-inane-question-origin-or-meaning-of-your-user-name#n=78

Olychick thanked yeonassky
  • LucyStar1

Thanks, yeonassky. I was having a hard time following the discussion because some people quoted Watchmelol.

Olychick thanked LucyStar1
  • DawnInCal

Well, it's not exactly brilliant, but the food shortages I've encountered in the grocery stores (much better now than two weeks ago), have made me much more aware of how much I waste.

Normally, I will grab a paper towel to wipe up a spill or polish the faucet or whatever, without a thought. Now, I'm getting into the habit of using my old, retired dish towels for this purpose.

We've always been pretty good about not wasting food, but I'm becoming even more vigilant these past couple of weeks. More meal planning, more using up things that are in the fridge and all with an eye towards less waste.

While we are not yet low on TP, I am becoming more aware of how much I use. Rather than just pull a big wad off of the roll, I'm trying to use about half what I usually do and our rolls of TP are lasting twice as long.

When this is all over, I am going to make an effort to retain these new habits as they are good for my wallet and good for the environment. Heh, I'm turning into my grandmother who was a young homemaker during the depression years...

Olychick thanked DawnInCal
  • Olychick

I'm doing the same thing Dawn. Being more mindful. I'm now wondering if I can cut my dishwasher pods (eco friendly kind) in half because I haven't been able to find more. I might try it and that would be a great discovery!

• Feathers11

Me, too. I can still go to the store to get what I need, of course, but there's something about this quarantine life that's making me extra mindful of how I use resources. And I'm saving a fortune in gas.

Olychick thanked Feathers11
  • tvq1

Me three! While we have always been fairly frugal, I am now practically militant about wasting anything, even though we are well stocked.

Olychick thanked tvq1
  • ci_lantro

I was getting low on dishwasher pods so I bought a box of powdered DW detergent. Switched to pods when Finish discontinued their powder. A few weeks ago, I bought a box of WMT's Great Value powder to try. REally glad that I did. Powder is easy to ration & eek out a few more loads &, so far, the GV powder is doing a good job. Of course I am cooking more so the DW runs once a day instead of once every 2-3 days so the detergent doesn't have to deal with dried, stuck on food. Will see how it performs when things return to something resembling the old normal.

Olychick thanked ci_lantro
  • sjerin

This seems to be a universal feeling, of not wasting.

Olychick thanked sjerin
  • Fun2BHere

@Olychick, I always cut the pods in half because a whole pod is too much soap for my dishwasher. Plus, I remove the plastic covering. I buy the hard pressed powder pods, though. I'm not sure if you could cut the gel ones successfully.