lukkirish

Anyone working on some new projects they want to share?

Lukki Irish

I found this pattern on Ravelry and fell in love. I’m in the process of making a pair for my sister as a birthday present. The pattern is easy enough but the yarn is so thick it’s a bear to work with. I even found some leather that I can make the soles with. I’ve also found time to pick up a curbside order of some cute fabric through Joann’s for the masks I’m going to make.

Anyone else?

• ks92

Picked up knitting again a few months ago -- will be a summer tank when complete.

• aktillery9

Yaya, did you paint that? It is gorgeous!!!!

To Share...Tip #3 of 8: Remodeling Success on Your Next Houzz Project!

Dear Friends @ Houzz… These building tips are offered to help you and other “families on the grow” throughout the Houzz network with all of your home building & remodeling goals. No matter what size project you have; (Additions, Alterations, Remodeling or New Construction), they can all be accomplished with great success if you plan the job accordingly and have the right team of professionals working with you to implement your project. In reading through some of these helpful remodeling tips… hopefully you will find yourself better protected and better positioned to deal with many of the issues that arise during the home remodeling process. For those who like to do the work themselves... Highlighted today in our guide post is Tip #3 of 8. PREPARE: Get a reasonable preconstruction budget, scope of work and schedule put together. When your list of requirements is defined you will be more in control of what you are trying to build or accomplish. Don’t leave these important details up to the contractors bidding on your job because each one (qualified or not), will interpret your plans differently. Ideally you should have a clear and defined scope of work prepared before you bid out your project, or you won’t get exactly what you want when you want it. Do this early and be knowledgeable of the specific goals you want to achieve. Was this info helpful? You can view the full idea book and all (8) Building Tips if you like by clicking on my name or logo above... Have a great day! Houzz Member - Bill Kelly P.S. Don’t forget to take pictures of your project, you’ll enjoy them later!

New Project: Want to show case (mother-in-law) family copper pots...

I like it too. Just have a small problem with the small pattern paper meeting the small pattern tile. I'm not crazy about the greenery with the pots, but if you like it, it's your space :) I like that the new wallpaper makes the space brighter and appear larger. I also think the table display is a bit too crowded. Maybe fewer items. Love the purple daffodils. I would eliminate the blue flower. Just me :) Love the bench there. I suggest 2 or 4 chairs at the table, for balance.

Our House "Cherry Hill" wants some love. Ideas for the Kitchen anyone?

Hi Vicki. You guys have chosen a diamond in the rough. Its a grand home and potential show stopper. You will have your work cut out for you so I wanted to give you something to consider. Since you will have ongoing renovations you may want to consider doing your bedroom first. My husband and I have renovated one home and working on a second and both times we neglected our own bedroom leaving it last. You will be working hard or/and possibly living in a construction zone so I am sure you could benefit from having a sanctuary to enter at the end of a long days work. Consider yours and your husbands space 1st. Otherwise I agree with the others. Where you can, just make cosmetic changes like painting maybe update the fixtures but tackle the major items first. Good luck and would love to see pictures of your progress!

Uploading some new pool projects with photos!

Thanks for all the great comments! We need help finding new contractors and customers so that we can help them create new projects just like the ones featured here and on our Houzz profile. We are always looking for new ways to bring fire, and water to peoples outdoor space. If you know someone we could help in any way, from design, product sourcing, or technical information on our products, send them our way so we can help them create more beautiful outdoor spaces. Thank again!
  • Yayagal

Yes, I have been an artist for 70 years, painting, sculpture, pottery, carving. Thank you!

• ilikefriday

Yayagal you are amazing!

• stacey_mb

Some spectacular work here! Thanks to all for posting.

• Bunny

The only problem with doing my own housecleaning is that after feeling all good about myself for vacuuming, dusting, etc. last week, I have to do it all over again this week. That's what's so awful about cleaning. One time, it's doable, it's fine. But it has to be done again, and again, and again.

• Feathers11

Kswl, I make my own syrups for pancakes, etc., for my family, but have never heard of boiled cider. I just found this article about it. I have no idea if stores sell apple cider these days... but I'm going to take a look next time I'm out for supplies. I have time, time, and more time to make this. Thank you for the idea, although I doubt I'll find apple cider.

• Bestyears

Bunny, I couldn’t agree more.

• Sueb20

Such great creations!

DD and I got out the sidewalk chalk this morning...

• hcbm

Yagal what medium is that beautiful painting? Do you exhibit anywhere? I truly love that painting.

Your knitting is beautiful. I can do simple knitting but maybe it is time to kick it up a bit. I have been meaning to for years but always find something else to do.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Lots of talent.

OMG Yaya that looks like Winslow Homer!

SueB -- great idea, esp with all the walkers out!

I crocheted my boyfriend an afghan in college, and that was the end of it. Crocheting, too.

I started a new work project this morning. Nothing pretty to show but it's exciting and very timely.

• DawnInCal

I love seeing all of your projects. So much talent and such beautiful work!

I have been working in the kitchen...

Hummus:

Mexican Style Pickled Carrots, Onions and Jalapenos:

Yogurt - I'm really pleased with how it turned out. My original motivation was to reduce the number of plastic containers coming into the house, but it turned out so yummy that I'm just happy to eat it.

Today I'm going to try my hand at making flour tortillas. We have run out and hubby likes to start his day with a breakfast burrito. Neither of us are going to run out to the store for one item, so I'll see if I can make a decent home made version.

• Yayagal

hcbm, Yes it's an oil. I used to have shows and commissions but I'm 81 now and just do it for my own pleasure. When I get in the zone, the world becomes calm. I think this one will go to my sister as she has severe asthma and is terrified of the virus. It might perk her up as we love and live on the ocean and she can have a view of it forever now. I just took a walk around the lighthouse area, not a soul in site.

• nini804

“ I crocheted my boyfriend an afghan in college, and that was the end of it. Crocheting, too.“

That totally made me lol, Mtn!! 😂

• Rusty

A couple of years ago, I took up crocheting again after 25 or so years of not touching yarn or needles. The baby blanket I intended to make for my newest great granddaughter turned into a toddler blanket. (Yes, I was that slow!).

For too long I've been looking at all the partial skeins of yarn I have left , and decided I could crochet caps to donate to the hospital for preemie babies, if they'd want them. So I called & asked, & they sounded thrilled with the idea. So I began to search the 'net for suitable patterns. I never thought to ask when I called if there were any certain colors, sizes or styles they would not accept. I just picked patterns i thought were cute and went to work. I wanted to make each one something that would be unique and special to the parents of the baby that got it. Then finding a couple of groups online that make caps, blankets, etc., to donate, I learned that almost all are very plainly made, & almost exclusively pastel colors, no cute stitches, trim, or anything. I planned on taking a few out to the hospital to show them, and ask about any restrictions they might have on what they could accept, but due to my natural tendency to procrastinate, didn't get out there before this COVID19 invaded our lives. So now I don't know when I might be able to take some out there. So I guess i'll just keep crocheting, trying to come up with cute little patterns and color combinations. If they can use t hem, fine, if not, well, I guess I can rip them out & do something else with the yarn. I may make a some little tiny preemie blankets, too. I've also learned about 'bonding squares' for preemies, so I'm doing a couple of sets with cap & bonding squares to match. I'm having fun with the whole idea, so I'm hoping that the hospital will be able to use them!

Rusty

• Sueb20

Yesterday I cleaned my home office/craft room from top to bottom. Among the things I found were an empty frame and some wallpaper samples. Voila! Cheap art!

• mtnrdredux_gw

I have been cleaning out and organizing the kitchen, since I am now a chef by trade. Went thru the spice cabinet, all the pantry shelves, cleaned out the fridges and freezers upstairs and down. I already have all my dish and pantry storage labelled for the cleaning people to put stuff away. But now I labelled my spice drawer and, ahem, the shelves on the refrigerator door. I have refrained from labelling some areas I would like to, based on quizzical looks I am getting.

We have been working on a jigsaw that has been fun. We listen to our Spotify playlists while we puzzle. Cleaned up the playlists too.

I have sent several letters that have been on my "to do list" for forever. Some to people I admire, some to thank people (strangers) for things they have done. I also wrote a letter to a long, lost HS friend. I started subscribing to WAPO a few years ago because my addiction to their political news could not be sated with a few free articles a month anymore. When I did, I found out an editor there was someone I went to HS with. I am so proud of them! I finally wrote them a letter to say so and to say how much I appreciate WAPO.

We've all been using our home gym and pool.

I got a wonderful coloring book in the mail. You can use paints or pencils or whatever you want for the colors. Its impressionist paint-by-numbers.

Seeds are on their way soon...

• balego

I have had a hard time lately feeling any motivation to paint, but we passed this old 1950 truck on our way to our vet with our little dog who is suffering with a corneal ulcer. On the way home I got out of the car and snapped a few reference photos, and started working on this watercolour of the old rusty truck.

• dedtired

I am cleaning the garage. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• ilikefriday

@balego

Wow. I am speechless. That is incredible!

• Sueb20

Belago, that’s beautiful!!

• jojoco

Belato, that is amazing! I would love to see more of your work. Oh, and belly rubs to your dog.

• dedtired

Belago, just amazing.

• bengardening

That picture is breathtaking Belago. would you sell it.

• Lars

Old barstools that we painted gray (they were previously black), and I just finished reupholstering the seats in new Sunbrella fabric. I brought some plants with me from L.A. so that I can have orchid and bromeliad flowers in my house here.
    This is my master bathroom vanity. I redid the bathroom some time ago but have just now gotten around to putting new hardware on the vanity doors. The previous hinges had a spring closure, but the new ones I got did not, and so I had to install magnetic catches to make the doors stay closed. Replacing the hinges was more work (and more difficult) than I expected, but I'm glad I did it. The old hardware was oil rubbed bronze, and I did not want any of that finish left in the bathroom. I even replaced the chrome towel rack and toilet paper holder with brushed nickel.

• Tina Marie

Organizing and cleaning around the house. Painting shutters. Working in the yard. Decided I want to plank a wall in our master bathroom, etc., etc., etc. My husband I'm sure will be happy when I am no longer safer at home!

• balego

So many wonderful projects! I love the slippers! And all the knitting projects, so lovely! I do miss knitting but it makes my hands ache. DawninCal, I recently started making my own yogurt, and I love it! Since giving up all dairy 3 years ago, I realized that I really missed yogurt so now I make soy yogurt every few days.

ilikefreday, Sueb20, jojoco, dedtired and bengardening, thank you so much!

Jojoco, Tashi thanks you for belly rubs. She needs all the loving she can get as she is really not enjoying all the drops in her eyes many times a day, and so many trips to the vet! I do have an art page on facebook although I am not great at keeping it up to date. :)

Art page

• jlsch

Balego, thanks so much for sharing your Facebook page. I love your work!

• justerrilynn

Nothing very exciting going on around here. Yesterday I pressure washed the pool patio and side patio. Today we (mostly husband) are re-slinging the lounge chairs.

We are Slingers!

Done

The slings aren’t what I would pick without the dogs who will dirty them up.

Dog approved! The big one will have these dirty and gross in no time.

Next up - refresh landscape.

There are so many more things I could be doing, exercise, painting/art but it seems I’m just spending time cleaning and maintaining. Boring!

• maire_cate

Everyone's posted such amazing art work that I'm hesitant to post this. It's probably the only little thing that I've done that is photo worthy. I vacuumed lampshades and cleaned out 2 storage closets last week and now that's it's warm enough DH and I are planning our annual garage cleaning.

DD surprised me with this vase for my birthday and I finally picked some flowers from the garden. I need to research Ikebana for inspiration.

• DawnInCal

Posting on the run, but I will return later to look at all of the posts I haven't seen since my last post.

Balego, we are kindred spirits! I made another batch of yogurt yesterday. I gave this batch a few more hours of fermenting and it turned out thicker and more flavorful than the first. I didn't think it could get better, but it did! So happy!

Here are my latest efforts in the kitchen.

First the flour tortillas that I mentioned above. The smaller ones on top of the stack are for me and for hubby I made larger burrito size tortillas:

Biscuits and gravy with fruit salad that has been topped with the yogurt. Hubby had scrambled eggs with his B & G.

Salsa Verde - I am going to use this as an enchilada sauce. It made four pints; one was used last night for chicken enchiladas and the rest went into the freezer for future meals:

• bengardening

Balego TY for posting your facebook page. When I started watching it I was in awe and had to call my son who is an artist too. I haven't called him to see what he thought of yours yet.

• abbisgram

Great pictures, all of you. I do enjoy seeing what everyone's doing.

Was working on a project at my mom's house, painting the paneling in her den. Got 3 coats of primer on and decided we should call a halt for awhile. For her protection. Now I am working on my bedroom walls, redoing some joints in the drywall which I hate doing and I'm not that good at it. But, it's time for new paint. Got my front porch decking cleaned and happy to have that done. My shed needs cleaning, we're expecting warmer weather this weekend so I may tackle that.

• desertsteph

after feeling all good about myself for vacuuming, dusting, etc. last week, I have to do it all over again this week

that's the bummer of it. do it once a year and then you'll have 12 months free of it! the work, not the dust.

• abbisgram

justerrilynn, where did you get replacement slings?

• balego

Dawnincal, that all looks so delicious! And homemade yogurt is so nice, isn’t it? I got myself a Cuisinart electric yogurt maker that also cools, so I can wake up to fresh cold yogurt. I also strain it to make Greek yogurt.

Bengardening, glad you enjoyed seeing some of my work, and thank you so much for you nice comment! :)

i have a new project for the next few days at least. An intense regimine of putting 4 different drops in my little Boston terriers‘ eye, ranging in schedule from every hour, to every 2 and every 4 hours, now through Monday when we see the ophthalmologist! Don’t know how we are going to manage but we have no choice. Hubby and I are going to take shifts in 4 hour increments tonight. Seems every time I blink it’s time to give her more drops!

• eld6161

Mini home gym DH just installed in the garage!

• eld6161

Balego, so sorry for your poor pup. With your diligence she will be better soon.

• mtnrdredux_gw

Busy day today going thru my walk in pantry, cleaning , reorganizing and making room for food. It's really not a pantry (except for the freezer drawers), it's more of an big appliance garage with serveware, candles and vases, too.

Also went thru all of our puzzles and games, boxed some up for goodwill, and cleaned and reorganized our craft room.

Lastly, reconstituted our book club virtually. It was my turn to host so I may drop off a tiny care package for everyone the day of. Wonder what's the most sanitary menu/pkging/delivery to do that. Maybe soup and bread and wrapped chocolate.

• DawnInCal

Thank you, balego! This morning, I mixed a small amount of strawberry jam into the yogurt. It was delicious and added a bit of a sweet flavor but in all honesty, the yogurt really doesn't need any additions. I'm interested to see that you are making soy yogurt. Does the soy milk work just the same as regular milk or do you have to make some changes to the yogurt making process?

Aw, your poor little dog. Years ago one of our pups had to be treated for a corneal ulcer. It was no fun for any of us. I hope your little one is on the mend soon.

And, I love your paintings too!

• pattyxlynn

You all are inspiring! I'm truly envious of people who can sew, crochet, etc., also the bakers. My brain just doesn't seem to want to work that way. I have a few different, new to me, projects I'm getting ready to start. One is book sculpting - turning old books into sculptures; and felting, animals and such.

I was asked three weeks ago to take part in getting our Church ready for Easter. My contribution was Jesus praying in the garden of Gethsemane. It's 30" x 40". The second was Jesus on the cross. The cross was an old fence post that I notched out. I was supposed to be at Church yesterday at noon to set up. I got finished with Jesus at about 11:20. I am not that fast of a sculptor so doing both in three weeks was a bit of a stretch for me.

• arcy_gw

Easter table favors

• Rose Pekelnicky

Masks for the nursing home where my DIL works

• Tina Marie

I am hoping to make myself finish cleaning out/organizing the closet in the guest bedroom, which has led to that room looking like an explosion. Not to mention my husband must think it's a junk room now and has added a few items! I got started on that room and then let myself move on to other projects. It was so easy to just close the door! Now it's got to be finished.

• pamghatten

I finished my felting project, my Llama. I now really admired those that do this craft all the time, it takes a lot of time and patience. After I did the mouth, I figured out how I should have made it smaller/thinner. But I'm happy with it for a first time attempt.

• Lars

Sewing chair that I reupholstered this morning, adding foam for comfort.

• party_music50

These are all absolutely wonderful projects!!!

I've been in an artistic slump for weeks and this post inspired me to at least make a basket! I started prep'ing the homegrown willow on Mar 28 and finished weaving it yesterday. It's not perfect, but I'm getting better at weaving with willow!

• Alisande

I love this thread--thanks, Lukki!

Balego, I'm dazzled by your paintings. I've read a bunch of books on watercolor, and the more I learned the more intimidate I became. It's a difficult medium!

There's a "room" (a 4 x 6' alcove with a window) at the top of my stairs that I long ago envisioned as a sewing nook. Instead, it became a repository for all manner of stuff, to the point where it wasn't even possible to step inside anymore. For years I didn't have the energy to tackle it, but this year I started feeling a lot better. So now's the time to chip away at it. I took a "before" picture, but it's so embarrassing I know when it's finished I'll post only the "after" shot. :-)

On the creative side, I shared this hooking project with the KT last year. It s a hot pad I'm making for one of my cousins, and it says beautiful cook in Hebrew. It took me forever to get the lettering right. I consulted with a helpful rabbi.

I took a long hiatus from hooking, but now I'm back at it. With the lettering almost completed I'm going to have to make a firm decision on the background and other colors. Long after I began planning the gift, this cousin crocheted a beautiful winter hat for me. So I'm super-motivated!

• ilikefriday

This was my project yesterday. I purchased this silver chandelier because I like the shape and the long tubes that go over the bulbs but I also made the purchase with a plan to recolor it. I wanted the entire thing to be matte gold. Yesterday I pulled out my Rub N Buff and got busy. After I was done I hung the fixture.

The color matches a table lamp (not shown) in the same room that I covered with the same color of Rub N Buff years ago. It also kind of matches the brass lamp in the photo.

• hatethecold_gw

I am in awe of the talent in this group.