wilderjeanne

What colour for my front door?

wilderjeanne

We live in a beautiful stone house with a white front door (with glass insert) and white storm/screen outer door. I want to paint the white portion of the doors. I welcome suggestions for colours. Our porch cushions are a sort of rust colour; I don't want to match those, only not to clash with them. Also, I don't want to paint the white trim around the front door nor around the transom window, as then I feel I'd have to paint all of the window trim around the outside the whole house. (There are many houses in my surrounding area that have painted front doors with white trim around them.)

I have thought of a dark burgundy brown or perhaps a dark dusky blue to complement the rust cushions. Also, what colour should we then paint the threshold? Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

• Elaine Ricci

I'm no pro, but I can picture your door looking gorgeous in a pale turquoise.

wilderjeanne thanked Elaine Ricci
  • wilderjeanne

Elaine, I had initially thought of a soft blue, but my DH hankers after darker shades. Negotiations may be in order! I am open to any and all suggestions.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

You have a wonderful house--love the stone! I could see a deep dark green on your front door. Ben Moore "Black Forest Green" is a great color--I have it on my wood fence. Also Narragansett Green, Yorktowne Green, and Lafayette Green would be good choices.

If you want blue, Newburyport Blue and Van Deusen Blue are pretty. Anything dark like that will provide a nice contrast to the stone, the white trim and would go with the rust cushions.

wilderjeanne thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • wilderjeanne

Diana, those are great shades. I'm liking the warmth of the Lafayette Green...

• potchiemagoodleberry

Black to coordinate with the stained glass lead and furniture.

wilderjeanne thanked potchiemagoodleberry
  • btydrvn

Can you post a full view of your home?...from your pic the door looks like a tiny element of the whole picture...the porch looks like a wood deck with no finish?...could it be stained in a coordinating color to the door to completely effect the whole picture?...the setting could also influence the color choice...are you in the country...city...somewhere in between?

wilderjeanne thanked btydrvn
  • Rhonda Nicholls

What a beautiful home. Painting your front door is a great idea to pull it all together. Your choice depends to some extent on what is going on inside your home, especially as you first enter. You want to have some continuity. From what I can see I suggest that if you want a more current/popular look go for a fairly bright teal (more blue than green) and use a high gloss paint. If you want to feel more traditional and formal, go for the same teal tone (a bit more gray) and keep the sheen more muted (satin finish). Both of these looks will accommodate beautiful wreaths and decorations. You can add a little extra character to the design by putting some teal toss pillows on the chairs or a throw blanket. If teal doesn't work at all with the inside of your house, a yellow would be inviting, just not too bright or pale...something in between.

Regarding the threshold, I suggest taupe to tie it in with the stone. Also, don't see any need to finish the wood floor...beautiful as it is!

wilderjeanne thanked Rhonda Nicholls
  • Rhonda Nicholls

Regarding the above, I meant to point out that matching the teal to the teal glass pieces in the window might be nice.

wilderjeanne thanked Rhonda Nicholls
  • wilderjeanne

Below is a view of the whole house. We live in a village of about 50 houses on a small island, with a river on one side and a canal on the other. The surrounding area is mostly farmland. And no, the deck has not been stained. I kind of like the weathered look of the unfinished wood. (The former owner was an architect; not sure why he didn't stain it.)

The bit to the left is a solarium, with a double garage is to the right. (Both have light brown board-and-batten cladding. We plan to paint the white garage doors so that they blend in with the garage.

• wilderjeanne

Rhonda, thanks for your ideas. (Inside the front door is a large foyer with a natural dark grey slate floor and a large natural wood armoire with a rubbed finish. The walls are a very light grey at the moment.) The teal is lovely! I would lean more towards a matte finish, partly because of the natural aspects both of the wood floor and inside the house.

• houssaon

I like the idea of a dark green which will go well with the stone and the furniture. I'd love to see the porch ceiling painted a pale blue.

wilderjeanne thanked houssaon
  • btydrvn

Wow ...with this picture and story..it feels there is really not much room for change...adding color to the door seems good..and adding a subtle stain on the porch floor would freshen up the look without changing the historical feel...the outdoor furniture is out of sync but would be more comfortable and fit in better if covered with a lighter color more homespun fabric ...that it soft and a natural fiber...so that you can see it better and to soften up the the strong stone wall statement..just sharing this with us is a gift...thanks

wilderjeanne thanked btydrvn
  • decoenthusiaste

Crisp Romaine

Crisp Romaine 686 Paint · More Info

• wilderjeanne

btydrvn (beauty driven?!), thanks for your suggestion re changing the cushions. I love natural fabrics and will now look at slipcovering the cushions with a natural linen. That will change everything -- and give me carte blanche colour-wise! I am not in love with the cushions' rusty colour, but didn't want to replace them due to expense. (I also am very aware of being environmentally responsible and want to work with what I have.) And thank you, too, for your kind comments. :o)

• flopsycat1

No help here, but I absolutely love your house! Great idea to change cushion covers to natural linen. Await follow up pics.

• wilderjeanne

flopsycat1, I will have to get out to a paint store and fabric store first. Uncertain times... Thank you for your encouragement. :o)

• btydrvn

Yes...i am beauty driven...and driven to natural fibers that feel better than the “plastic” fabrics on outdoor cushions....this is a picture of one of my outdoor cushions....i chose a sort of cotton canvas that was on sale...of course...(and since solid colors always show every speck and ivory canvas is easy to order or find anywhere) ...i picked a few ferns from the garden and used 99 cent can of spray paint...(which sticks like glue)...and stenciled each finished cushion ...(spots no longer a worry)...and this paint never fades....you can use anything for the stencil..little branches or leaves ...strips of masking tape for crisscross or straight stripes...i painted my old wooden Adirondack chairs purple and the whole porch took on a new life

wilderjeanne thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn

We have a long porch like you do...in spring and fall these chairs go on the porch ...in summer we move them down to the hammock area

wilderjeanne thanked btydrvn
    Beth H. :

first off, great front porch, but I think it also needs some love.

look at this similar sized porch. Redo your wood deck, maybe paint the porch ceiling a faint blue, bring in some container plants, etc.

here's your door w/that door color

the deep forest green and the rich navy are nice w/the rust tones. (but would look even better w/a refreshed deck. You know, you could apply a simple wood oil from Penofin, and it would immediately refreshed the wood, plus give it protection)

wilderjeanne thanked Beth H. :
  • wilderjeanne

Thank you, Beth H,. for your comments. Yes, good point about the bareness of the porch; however, we still have not finished with freezing temperatures here! I think tomorrow is the last day. (It snowed two days last week!)

Someone else suggested staining or treating the deck as well. Now that I look at the "weathered" complexion of the deck, it does look a little sad! I was worried that staining the deck would make it too obvious and flashy, rather than natural, but I have used wool oils before in other applications and am a fan. So there's another project.:o)

What colour is that navy blue you posted on my front door? Since I'm now planning on covering the cushions with a more natural neutral colour, I'm not concerned about their current rusty colour. And I do like that blue!

• wilderjeanne

btydrvn, what a stunning home you have! And I love the purple Adirondack chairs. Thanks for sharing and for the stencilled canvas cushions idea.

Beth H. :

that blue is more of an Indigo shade. maybe a navy. neither has gray or green to it. when you go to the paint store, ask the paint person for that tone and show them the picture.

Here's some others you may like

This one is Calm.

wilderjeanne thanked Beth H. :