smilesesq

Stunned by the cost of custom cabinets in CA

smiles33

We are renovating a 1957 ranch house in a high-cost area of California. Custom cabinets by a local cabinet maker our interior designer loves and recommends came in at over $105,000. This is for a large kitchen (island plus 2 long runs), great room (we need custom cabinetry for some AV components), mud room, laundry room (2 walls, uppers above the washer/dryer and uppers and bottom drawers on the opposite wall), pantry (just shelves in there), 1/2 bath, hallway cabinets right outside the master bedroom (2 doors on the uppers and 2 doors below), and a full bath.

I asked for simple white cabinets with a Shaker style door. We care more about quality hardware than aesthetics. I thought maybe it would be $50-$75K for everything, but clearly didn't do my research ahead of time.

Right now we're thinking we may only opt for the custom quality cabinetry in high visibility areas and high use areas (e.g., kitchen and great room are in one open space so I feel like we need to "match" there). The walk-in pantry is adjacent but has a door. Plus, I don't want to spend $6,000 on plain shelves. I also don't think it's worth $12,000+ for laundry room cabinets when I don't plan to open/close those doors more than 1/week!

I'm not sure what I'm even asking for now. Would appreciate any advice. I already told my designer this is way over budget.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

There's all your fancy California eco-laws come home to roost. I don't know how anything get painted or finished in Cali.

The Cook's Kitchen

I understand sticker shock. But. That’s a whole lot of cabinets, anywhere! The total isn’t shocking to me at all for quality custom. I’ve done just plain kitchens, similar to what size you describe for yours, for 100K of custom cabinets, with none of the other stuff you have to go with it. Im not in CA. Location doesn’t have a lot to do with the pricing when you have that many cabinets. I don’t think you’re going to get to half that cost without dropping in quality significantly. Significantly. Even a good semi custom brand isn’t likely to drop to half for that much cabinetry. You need to really search yourself to decide what level product is appropriate to your home. And where it’s appropriate for lesser quality.

Most guidelines use 10%-12% of the homes physical build cost, separate from land cost, as a marker for the right level of cabinets for the whole home, and which does not usually include media built ins or library units as “cabinetry”. . That keeps a bit of a control from overspending for people in HCOL areas where land is more valuable than the dwelling. But, it’s hard to overspend in areas like that where appreciation isn’t double digits instead of singke ones. Good luck!

smiles33 thanked The Cook's Kitchen

Is it worth it (cost) to reface kitchen cabinets?

You might get a better response if you start your own thread...but never mind. If you want to keep the granite you would be best to leave it in place. In other words...don't move it. That means the most logical option then becomes: resurface the existing doors and mount back onto old cabinet boxes. If you want to have your granite MOVED/removed, you run a HUGE risk of this being damaged/cracking/breaking. Therefore it is advisable to leave the counter top on the boxes, refinish/resurface the doors/boxes and reinstall. A pantry can be built/finished in the same look quite easily....it would be a custom piece no doubt about it...but it can receive the same finish as the rest of the doors/cabs. You can have what you want (move the granite slab, get NEW EVERYTHING and then reinstall granite)...but be aware of what you are ASKING FOR...you could be asking for a broken piece of granite at the end of the renovation. This is why everyone is telling you to resurface the cabs...it is the EASIEST, most sure-fire way, to keep the granite in one piece....which is your goal.

Need help finding Professional to re-coat kitchen cabinets near SF CA

You can't see from the photo but quite a few of the cabinets split down the seems, the color is not a beautiful dark brown black but a muddy brown and where they taped to drill handles the stain/paint chipped off in 1" strips. (yes I know I should have made them fix all this but we were just done with them after having them change the color once already) I was hoping to try to almost powder coat (?) them to hide all these flaws rather than to change out all the doors/drawer fronts with a more modern looking matt finish

knobs and pulls for custom cabinets in kitchen and master bath

sounds like yours is at least closer! i wanted the pullout spice rack next to the stove, but it messed up the symmetry, so it's over by the garbage pullout, on the left side of the sink, far away from the stove! makes no sense to put spices over there. i caught that before they did it, but they weren't really able to change it without eliminating the corner pullouts, so i went with it the way it is. so i now have a rotating spice rack on the counter to the right of the stove (this picture was taken before i got it), and the pullout will be used for foil, ziploks, etc. once i get the inserts put in for it. it took me FOREVER to choose knobs and pulls, but i'm happy with what i ended up with. and i ended up paying far less than i was originally going to pay. (i had originally chosen Alno hardware that was $20 a piece--hahahaha! i can't believe i even considered those!)...

Kitchen/Dining Face-lift in Orange County, CA

Very nicely done as it looks great! I like the new backsplash. Cleaner and more brighter look. Nice work you have done. Ken
  • darbuka

Why have custom cabs in the laundry?

I, too, live in a HCOL...the North Shore of Long Island, where high end is the norm. We went all out in the kitchen. But, for the laundry, we used IKEA. Our son put them together, and our contractor hung them. They give us a ton of storage, which we use not only for laundry and cleaning supplies, but also as an overflow pantry. Needless to say, by doing the laundry room this way, we saved a bundle.

Btw, $105,000 for as many rooms as you’re outfitting, is quite reasonable. My kitchen alone, was $45,000.

smiles33 thanked darbuka
  • chispa

Get a quote from Shiloh cabinets. There are dealers here in CA. Several people on the forum have used them and been very happy with the quality.

I used Wood-mode cabinets, which were pricey, for my kitchen remodel 2 years ago here in CA. You could also look at their Brookhaven line.

I much prefer a factory finish than the site finished cabinets they do here in CA with paints/stains that are eco friendly, but not as durable as a factory finish.

smiles33 thanked chispa
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor

I build custom homes in CA & have found that custom cabinets can cost surprizingly similar to better factory once the specifications are equalized. New vs remodel?

smiles33 thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • smiles33

We plan to retire here (and be taken out feet first), so we've been spending quite a bit more to get good quality products that will last. We know that you almost always have to pay more to get well-built and enduring products, so we haven't been as apt to go for cheaper stuff due to the presumption that it may be short-lived. If we analogize "trim levels" to Honda, Acura, Mercedes, and Porsche (which is what one AV vendor did), we mostly fall in the Acura category but did "splash" out for the Mercedes or Porsche in a couple areas where it made sense for our priorities (e.g., infrastructure that isn't easily changed later, like better wired network and the fancy lighting "scene" system). There aren't often cheap and well-built options that will last 2+ decades. I don't want to do another remodel when I'm 70, so I'm hoping this renovation lasts 30+ years! This is probably why my designer recommended this local cabinetmaker. He's known for high quality work.

Given how much kitchen cabinetry is used, we're willing to spend the $50K there. The Great Room is directly next to it and open layout, so that's another $15K. That's $65K and we haven't even covered the other 5 cabinet areas. But I wonder if I can cut the $40K cost of the remaining areas to $25K and still get decent value. If you all tell me that no, saving $15K now just means I have to install new cabinets in 10-15 years, then I'd rather just brace myself and pay the full amount now.

If we're talking about 10-12% of the home's physical build cost (meaning the cost to rebuild the entire house if it burned down) then we're looking at about $65K for cabinetry (based on the replacement cost estimated by my insurance policy). This is a 4 bedroom ranch house, but we added 600 feet by bumping out the tiny kitchen, expanding the family room (the architect calls it a Great Room!), adding a small den, and adding a 1/2 bath and mudroom. I thought the cabinetry bid might be around $75K. For the record, the custom cabinet in the great room is one base, with 2 doors and 3 drawers, with a ventilated back (it will sit underneath the TV mounted on the wall). We also have a second set of cabinets on another wall. Our plan is not a whole built-in wall unit for the great room. So it still surprised me to get a quote for $15K for two units that are each about 6' wide. But I guess that's the cost these days!

I also appreciate darbuka's comment re: using IKEA for the laundry room. I've read people like them. Do they last 10-20 years or longer? If they aren't durable, then I'd pay more to save the hassle of having to replace them before I die. I know my brother and SIL bought a home with an IKEA kitchen where the piece by the sink already fell off and they've noticed a few other issues (likely due to bad installation and not necessarily quality of the cabinetry).

Thanks for the specific brand recs, chispa. I'll ask my designer about them!

Final thoughts; My husband thinks we should just wait a month and see if they discount the price. Given where the economy is going, we know the home renovation market is going to dry up. Everyone is freaking out and we lost a significant % of our retirement fund in the stock market (but fortunately we kept the funds for this remodel in conservative vehicles and cashed out a couple weeks ago). We've already lived 6 months without a kitchen or heat/AC (the furnace was taken out back in Sept. because that room became our new pantry). What's another few months? LOL.

Thanks again for your insight and suggestions. I welcome additional thoughts!

• jdesign_gw

Got nothing to do with "California Eco laws" it's about the amount of work. I doubt if that's even the highest quality. Yeah I know they're going to use Blum soft close drawer slides. Who doesn't. My lowest budget job gets those. Paint job is probably around average I would guess. In that regard people who suggest we can't do quality finishes in CA are not doing work here and have no idea what's available. I use some of the best products in the market and don't need to be in an overly toxic cloud when doing so.

As far as price without the exact details it's hard to say but there are ways to knock that down a bit.

smiles33 thanked jdesign_gw
  • smiles33

We haven't negotiated with any of our vendors. I just assumed the price is the price. How do we knock down the price some? Going $25K over what I thought was a decent cabinetry budget is quite a bit, especially since we've already gone over our original budget by more than $50K due to surprise issues with an old house (e.g., missing foundation, bad framing from an earlier unskilled homeowner or unlicensed contractor "renovation" that had to be re-done so the ceiling wouldn't fall on us in a minor earthquake, major electrical issues and having to put in new panels and move the mast, etc.). We still haven't seen quotes for flooring or the countertops yet, so I am sure those may be going over what I thought were "reasonable" bids, too.

• jdesign_gw

You can probably figure you'll be under by similar persentages on the other items with a few yet surprises to go. Again without details it would be hard to say exactly. We do a lot with custom doors on Ikea when full custom is not in the budget. Similar look if done right.

smiles33 thanked jdesign_gw
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor

Agree with @The Cook's Kitchen that its likely a quantity issue. The last few homes we built were 4000-5000 sf with 4-5 baths, utility, large kitchens (large 2 sided islands) and a few auxiliary cabinets (bar, dressing, equipment, etc). $55-65K (my cost) worth of euro box w large 120 degree blum hinges, soft close full extension guides, off site catalyzed finishes, uppers 1-2" deeper vs factory, etc. Installation is not included.

Have one breaking ground that's a little smaller than above, and the initial numbers per plan came in under $50K before client asked about "a few adds" of a large entertainment center, two bedroom wall units, and outfitting a pair of master closets. The $100k+ number was stunning and sent the client out looking. Client found another "cabinet shop" that soon had them up in the $130K range and a couple of closet shops that had them talked into "reasonable budgets" of $8-12K per closet, similar to what my cabinet shop proposed for the closets.

That's how one adds $25-40 dollars per square foot to a build.

We're back at my initial custom maker and making choices about how we are "furnishing" rooms..

• wolfgang80

We recently used California Designers Choice for our kitchen remodel. They are a custom cabinetry shop based in Camarillo, CA. They do a lot of high end work in Ventura County. If you are within an hour, they are worth checking out. We are very happy with our cabinets and enjoyed working with them. I am not affiliated with them in any way.

smiles33 thanked wolfgang80
  • Belaria

@smiles33 Longevity of cabinetry is somewhat subjective. Given that this is an older house renovation, you could be dealing with problems bigger than the cabinetry causing damage in time. Unless you had a disaster like an earthquake, some big water leak, or a pet destroying something, the boxes and doors on your cabinets will probably last indefinitely. The moving hardware parts could fail in time, but Blum and numerous other companies have lifetime warranties, so those could be replaced if needed and the companies are still around in 30-plus years.

What you really need to pay close attention to is the finish. The finish will fail far sooner than anything else on your cabinetry if it is not top quality. Asking for a finish to last 30-plus years is a little ambitious, but with proper care and a whole-house humidity system installed to prevent expansion and contraction, it's possible. @jdesign_gw uses ICA coatings almost exclusively he has said in another post, and he's also one of the best cabinet makers in California, if you base that off of samples of his work he's posted here. He's probably in the top 5% of custom cabinetry makers nationwide given the detail he's shared about his research and manufacturing processes. If you wanted to contact him and see if you were local to his shop, there would be no question of the value you'd get from his work. ICA is an Italian coatinhgs company and is on the same level as Milesi and Ilva. You can get low-VOC waterborne coatings from any of those companies that will rival the durability of a catalyzed varnish applied in states less strict than California. I'd quiz your custom shop on what type of coating they plan to use.

The warnings above about financial surprises yet to come are probably spot-on. If you're comfortable with paying for quality, custom cabinetry in the kitchen, then go for it. You'd be amazed at how inexpensively you can pick up pre-fabricated bathroom vanities and other cabinetry and shelving from various manufacturers, so that might be the way to save in areas outside of the kitchen for now. In the lifespan of wood furniture, 30 years is short. It's the finish that may need to be re-done if you live there that long.

smiles33 thanked Belaria
  • M Miller

There has been no mention of what "extras" you are getting with this cabinetry. Are you getting corbels, a cabinetry hood surround, elaborate moldings, specialty drawer inserts, lots of glass cabinet doors, upper cabinets that meet the counter, wide moldings (check how wide are the moldings and do you need that), how high are your ceilings and are the cabinets going to the ceiling, are your appliances going to be paneled. Any one or two of those are going to add tens of thousands to the total given the linear feet you described.

What about the island? That is the single most expensive piece of cabinetry because all sides need to be cabinetry. Can it be smaller, or less elaborate?

Take a close look at what extras you are getting and decide if you need them, and you will be able to shave off thousands

The mud room and laundry room should be Ikea or something similarly priced.

smiles33 thanked M Miller
  • smiles33

No corbels, no hood included in this price, no moldings (as far as I can tell, just some trim on the top of the cabinet, no glass, not paneled appliances, and normal 8 foot ceilings. As I said earlier, I told our interior designer I wanted simple and only wanted to spend money on durability and function. The island is large (6' at its longest side) so I know that's not going to be cheap since all 4 sides have to be finished.

The kitchen only has one wall with upper cabinets (5 "boxes" that each have 2 Shaker style wood doors), but 2 walls with cabinets and lower drawers (yes, I know drawers are more expensive but we did not go all drawers). The island has 7 drawers (plus a large hole for a microwave drawer) and one cabinet with doors (the side with the sink).

I don't know if I did this right, but here's the biggest cabinet in the laundry room (which presumably is more than $8,000 of the $12,000 cost as the other wall just has an upper cabinet with 2 doors). It's the same style in the rest of the house (like I said, no glass, no corbels, no fancy moldings(. How much would the IKEA equivalent cost? If IKEA charges $7,000, then yes, I'd rather pay $1,000 more for custom cabinets that I know the doors will fit flush and open smoothly. But if IKEA can save me $3-4K, then I'd reconsider custom in the laundry room (since I hate doing laundry anyway, I will be avoiding this room as much as possible!).

• beachem

I researched a lot on cabinets when I did my kitchen remodel. I ended up buying Conestoga and put it together myself. You can have a contractor do it if you prefer. The quality is top notch and far superior durability than custom or the lines that were available.

if you’re using standard sizing, then it’s easy to order. I had them do custom down to 1/8” so I could maximize every inch of the kitchen and cabinet drawer space without using filler. If so, you need to figure out the order yourself. I also used Ikea boxes and drawers for some sections and Conestoga doors.

I saved 50% over what my quotes were. My quotes were basic standard cabinets and I was quoted 66k-150k just for the kitchen cabinets. I ended up getting 27” deep cabinets, custom width, and drawers that were 3/4” bottoms. My island is all IKEA with Conestoga doors and trims. It’s double sided with cabinets.

Other posters have been very happy with theirs too.

Message me directly for who I used to order. Conestoga only sells to wholesale dealers.

Another source you can save is on high end appliance costs. I can give you that contact too. My brand new FP dishwasher was $200. Yes it was discontinued but the warranty still holds and I only paid 10% of what it costs.

Also look for liquidation distributors, I got 2 brand new Blue Star ovens with French doors for $1500. The ovens were still in boxes. Retail prices were $8000. A Ferguson designer changed her mind on the color for the showroom and dumped the ovens after they arrived. I can always change the color later for $400 but I didn’t want to spend that.

smiles33 thanked beachem
  • J Inhof

Smiles, We don’t live in an especially HCOL area at all, but considering your long shopping list of add ons for other rooms your quote does not surprise me. If it is any consolation to you, having just bought cabs for kitchens, baths, etc. for our house remodel, I think the $$$ you were quoted would be about the same or quite possibly less than doing all that custom work here in Cincinnati.

Your idea of waiting a month to get better pricing might be a good one except that with all the ‘Stay in your home’ orders the Cabinet makers will have difficulting getting woodworkers to do the job and the timeline could be very long. If your time line is truly flexible, maybe it would work. But I will say we were promised that our cabinets would go in to production right away and be done in two months and it took more like four months. Our patience was getting thin.

BTW, Were I you, I would gear up for some real sticker shock when you go to the slab yards and counter installation showrooms to buy all those surfaces...

Good luck.

smiles33 thanked J Inhof
  • Kristin S

I would likely get a couple of additional quotes. We found the range of quotes we got from three different, high-quality cabinet vendors was HUGE. One was more than double the other's price for the exact same thing.

Second, why not go back to the original company, explain that this is out of your budget, and ask if they have suggestions to bring the price down. Perhaps you inadvertently chose a few features that are quite expensive, or they can change materials, or make other suggestions. No reason not to ask.

smiles33 thanked Kristin S
  • Belaria

@J Inhof Shelter-in-place orders in Texas exempt all building contractors including cabinetry makers, but we are in the middle of a kitchen renovation and haven't heard from our cabinet builder for weeks now so . . . it's possible cabinetry manufacturers can work but are choosing not to.

smiles33 thanked Belaria
    Anglophilia

I redid my kitchen with Shiloh cabinets about 3 1/2 years ago. I'm a VERY picky person and these are top quality cabinets. I could not be happier with them.

Get some quotes from Shiloh. You don't need totally custom - semi-custom will be fine.

smiles33 thanked Anglophilia
  • Lisa

It's interesting and uplifting to read that the OP wants the cabinets to last 30 years. That is so much better to hear than "I'm so tired of my dated kitchen. It's so 90's."

smiles33 thanked Lisa
    Creative Design Cabinetry

I stumbled across a California contractor years ago here in Utah. he was surprised at what I was charging. He ended up ordering a couple of jobs from me.

smiles33 thanked Creative Design Cabinetry
  • live_wire_oak

What kind of designer are you working with that didn’t at least give a shot across the bow about correct price expectations? Especially since she has used these people more than once? 100K is not at all out of line for custom for a big project like that. That’s easy to spend just on the kitchen. For some houses, that would be low, just for the kitchen.

You need to be in an entry level budget line to be at half that cost. Mid grade won’t do it. Wolf Classic. Merillat Classic. Aristokraft, Diamond Vibe, Wellborn Home Concepts, Shenendoah Value. Etc.

smiles33 thanked live_wire_oak
  • jdesign_gw

Ikea with custom doors would be leas than half of your laundry room example.

smiles33 thanked jdesign_gw
  • darbuka

I don’t see why IKEA cabs wouldn’t last 20+ years in a laundry room. As you said, you don’t plan on opening the cabs in there more than once a week. People on this forum, (back when it was The Garden Web), began putting in IKEA kitchens about 15 years ago. I’ve never read a disgruntled word about the durability...and kitchens get way more traffic/use, than a laundry room.

Here‘s a pic of our laundry/mud room with IKEA cabinetry. It’s a narrow room, so I couldn’t take a full, straight on shot. Please excuse the mess on the counters, as that is my husband’s domain, and well, let’s just say, he’s not fastidious. 😊. Click to enlarge.

BTW, we bought a granite remnant for the counter, which also saved us money.

smiles33 thanked darbuka
  • H202

Lisa - the 90s *were* thirty years ago. People starting to think about a kitchen renovation now will probably be done in 2021-2023. Seems like a pretty darn reasonable time to tear out a kitchen from 1993 without judgment. If you’d bough a house in 1985 with original 1958 cabinets, would you be making the same argument?

smiles33 thanked H202
  • H202

IKEA using one of their higher end doors but not custom fronts for your laundry would probably be $1000 plus a nominal install cost. Once you’re already doing a bigger job, contractors won’t charge much for IKEA install because that job would literally only take them a morning to put up.

smiles33 thanked H202
  • smiles33

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to share your insight and experience. I'm not going to reply to each individual, but a few made interesting points I did want to address.

First, we decided to move forward with this local cabinetmaker on the kitchen, great room, and our girls' primary bathroom. These are all high-use areas and we want durability. I thought about asking for other quotes but CA has the shelter-in-place order so I don't think we'd get anyone out for at least a month or more (depends on how long this order lasts). So we're going to move forward so our kitchen doesn't get held up. We're asking him for a new quote for an edited version of the laundry room (no uppers) and separating the cost of the 1/2 bath from the mudroom.

For the other rooms, we're taking a wait-and-see approach. We're going to make do with existing furniture as interim options for the pantry, mudroom, and entry way (e.g., we already bought heavy duty rolling metal carts from Costco for a temporary pantry so we can roll those right in,; a wood bench and wall mounted coat rack set we also bought from Costco can go in the mudroom instead of built-in uppers and lowers; a console we already have can go where that hallway upper and lower cabinets were slated; etc.). We can wait a year or longer to see if we want the built-ins and whether the price may come down when business dries up. I don't want to put in the IKEA or mid-range option only to have to replace it in 10 years when the finish fails.

beachem: WOW. I am so impressed by your incredible shopping skills. I usually research a ton and like to buy good solid deals. We already paid full retail price for our high-end Wolf and SubZero appliances. Wish I had researched on here first! Yet decision fatigue set in with this major renovation so we've been deferring to the ID. She finds 3-4 options and we pick one. Prime example; I bought and installed 6 Hunter ceiling fans at our vacation home, all on sale at Costco for $99 each about 5 years ago. I'm pretty handy for a girl who grew up not knowing what a wrench was. Yet we just don't have the time and energy to find good deals for this renovation. Costco doesn't have fans in stock right now so my ID suggested a ceiling fan for $350. We only need one for the great room (and it has an extra high ceiling), so I cringed and signed off on it.

Belaria: thank you so much for pointing out that the finish is key to durability. I knew hardware is important, so I assumed people getting custom doors for IKEA boxes were doing it more for aesthetics. I didn't realize it could also be for better paint/stain jobs.

live_wire_oak: thanks for the great links. They were incredibly detailed and informative. I found them very helpful, with the exception of the first one that questions why so many feel pressure to renovate. That just doesn't apply to us because our house clearly needed to be stripped to the studs to fix known issues. We had a kitchen fire the first time my husband used the induction cooktop and oven at the same time because the former homeowner's "contractor" put both appliances on the same circuit. We had major electrical issues in the attic crawl space (our electrician said wires were left on the floor of the attic and there was other evidence of lazy or incompetent electrical work). The contractor who did our demolition, foundation, and framing work jokingly regrets not suggesting a complete teardown given all the framing and foundation issues we've discovered. We knew when we bought it that it had issues (the seller did everything without permits and also did weird things to the house, like ripping out the front door to put in a stained glass window and then putting in a door at the side of the kitchen bay window "pop-out" instead).

It's a good question why our interior designer didn't warn us re: cabinet cost. We've been working with her for over 2 years now. She knows we've focused on durability and good quality and haven't balked at any prices (until this one). We told her this is intended to be our "forever" home (hence the plan to already made the bathroom accessible with features like weight-bearing grab bears and zero-threshold entrance to the shower). So I assume she thought we'd just sign on the dotted line here, too.

Lisa; we lived with our 1997 kitchen in our last home until 2016 (when we tore out the 90s tile with brown grout due to strong real estate agent pressure to put in granite counters to sell the house). If we hadn't moved, we would likely still have that 90s kitchen. We just aren't "style-oriented" people. It still worked, even if the orange/honey oak cabinets were dated. If I can stick to "classic/timeless" colors (and I get it, white cabinets are still going to look so 2010s in 30 years), I'm happy. My husband doesn't care at all, but he's big on function so that's what we've told our ID.

Thanks again!

• H202

Just to add - because you mentioned your skepticism about ikea durability: I think Ikea is probably one of the most durable options you can get. *Some* custom cabinets end up being durable. But ALOT of people on this site get really, really expensive cabinets and are surprised by some of the durability or other quality issues. No one ever complains about ikea durability. They have a 25 year warranty and tons of people on this site to attest to it.

• Belaria

@smiles33 Perhaps I should clarify my statements above. IKEA doors are just as likely to hold up as long, or longer, than a finish from any custom cabinet maker with most of IKEA's door styles being laminate.

As to IKEA box/shelf/drawer quality, I can only speak to my own personal experience with it. I have a full walk-in closet of IKEA shelving and drawers, and my only complaint has been that the shelving on our wider units is sagging, and the laminate was scratched by using a vacuum hose attachment that did not have a soft brush on the end of it. So, you do need to be cautious about scratching laminate, any laminate, not just IKEA's, because scratched laminate is virtually irreparable. Also, beware of the wide shelf widths with IKEA or any brand that does not technically support the weight you plan to put on it depending on the type of shelving material, how that shelf was constructed and attached, and the overall dimensions of the shelf. We replaced some of the sagging IKEA shelves with long drawer boxes, which have more intrinsic support and therefore aren't sagging. I would keep my cabinet and thus shelf widths within the recommendations that you can calculate using The Sagulator.

It is the painted, solid wood doors or doors with solid wood rails and stiles with MDF centers that will experience contraction and expansion over time and stress any finish laid on top whether that be opaque paint or a clear topcoat. Even the Plain & Fancy cabinet company that is legendary for its superior finishes have had some customers say that the finishes on wood doors develops stress cracks over time when subjected to humidity swings. A whole-house humidity system could help prevent or delay this process.

You seem to be expecting that you will obtain quality cabinetry by paying a premium price, but be aware that price does not always equate to quality or longevity, as others have mentioned. If I were concerned about longevity, I would review the information on finishes in comments above and quiz my cabinet maker about what product they plan to use, how they plan to apply it (what type of surface preparation, how many coats, what type of sanding between coats, etc.) and how long they guarantee their finishes. If they say something like, "finishes are guaranteed for 3 years," don't count on it lasting indefinitely. Plenty of other manufacturers guarantee their conversion varnish or other 2-part finishes for the lifetime of the original owner. If you like, you can post back with the finish information you retrieve, and some of the painting pros may comment for you. If you're comfortable with moving forward without further information, that is your choice.

• jdesign_gw

Just to clear up a few points. Cabinet makers in CA are still working at least everyone I know is and all my suppliers are open because they fall under a category that is exempt.

Regarding Ikea kitchens - their hardware is their strongest point. Without it it would never be an option for me.

Painted finishes- Finishes vary. Because you pay more doesn't really mean anything about how they will hold up. Depends on how it was done, what they used and what kind of use the kitchen gets.

Just some facts. Don't like to read wrong information.

• live_wire_oak

A 25 year warranty is not all that. Not in an industry that routinely offers lifetime warranties.