Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_w95

planting cuttings of similar houseplants together, is it possible?

Mary W.
4 years ago

I have a well rooted and fairly well grown cutting vines of:
philodendron Brasil
philodendron heart leaf
pothos
can I pot them all together to make the same specimen? I don't see why not? what does everyone think (I didn't think pictures were needed as I know the cuttings are ready to be potted)

Comments (19)

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

2 philos will be totally fine together, but pothos has larger leaves and is more vigorous, it might overwhelm them. you can put them all together anyway, but might have to separate pothos in the future.

I put cuttings of syngonium 'White Butterfly" with philo 'Brazil', just to have a filler at the bottom, as syngoniums tend to get leggy fast. Pothos also tends to loose lower leaves overtime. small leaved philos like yours might be of help to cover bare stems, as the plants grow.

• Mary W.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow, I would love to see a picture of your plant! That sounds beautiful. I've never planted more than one plant together. I was also asking on a different thread, if I could plant my two bromiliad pups together, as they are about 1/2 of the mother size. While on this topic Petrushka, what do you think about the bromiliad pups being potted together, they are Guzmanias.
    I'm going to take your advice and stick with the philodendrons together, anyways pothos look great alone. Thank you for replying.

sincerely, Mary

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

of course you can put guz pups together! it'll make for a bushier plant. I especially look for double pups when I buy guzmanias. and then I keep them growing like that, without cutting off the pups. the original plant declines slowly and finally I trim away the older leaves.

I managed to rebloom my double too, although I put it outside for summer, as I read that guzmanias won't bloom with temps below 75F, 85-90F would be preferred with high humidity.

I kept them in a very bright corner with no direct hot sun.

this the first time I bloomed guzmania so well.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

as far as syngonium with philo brazil: these were cuttings I took in November, potted separately. and then once they had good roots I combined them. I made 2 pots.

this is after repot:

I like the fact that 'Brazil' leaves look sort of like a juvenile growth and they are densely clustered and I can wind them around syngonium stems higher or leave some trailing.

the syngonium cuttings were tip cuttings from a tall straight vine that I I wanted to keep lower.

it refused to trail and was shooting steadily up.

• Mary W.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow! Petrushka I have a syngonium too I could add that too! The other plants were what I wanted to plant together. What does everyone think about planting these all together? would that look pretty with out without the arrow plant?

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

for plants with similar culture conditions, especially light, I prefer to combine by contrast or similar color. I seem to see variegated Dracaena in your pics: it will do good underplanted with philo brazil and this other small limey-green philo? they all have similar light-green markings. but pothos certainly can go there too. yours are very small cuttings. usually people put them in pots that are too big for them and they look too sparse. there is no reason, NOT to put them togerther for a sort of bushy garden dish of sorts. after a couple of years you can just trim them and start a new pot with cuttings. except dracaena which grows slowly. so you can keep the under growth vines shorter or as trailers for several years easily.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

I find that combos of plants with various variegation need some sort of simple green that will bind it all together. perhaps dark-green heart-shaped philo.. or lime-green sport of philo 'brazil'. my 'brazil' sported with both dark-green and lime-green vines. I trimmed them and rooted and combined the 3 variations together.

of course, several pothos cultivars or various syngoniums can go well together too.

I preview my arrangements by just stuffing several pots densely in a box. and taking pics before I plant them together. sometimes I just keep them in boxes for a time.

these are 2 small pots of Pseuderanthemum and 2 pots with cuttings of philo 'jose buono'

stuck in a book box (wrapped with paper :)). easier to reposition too.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

I have a lot :)) of plants, so I try to display them in harmonious arrangements.

this is my corner table near balcony, I rearrange plants on it often to show off 'the current best'

see here

this is in the ideas album (I have several, look at my profile). some people do not see them, do not know why. they are public.

• Mary W.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Petrushka I adore your prayer plant, the tricolor really pops and adds great accent. That is one of the most full, dense, and beautiful houseplant displays I've ever seen, kudos to you! I have to use grow lights because my apartment has south facing windows and can only put certain plants infront of it, like my schefflera- which takes up almost all the light. That's why I wanted to plant them all together since I need to pot a lot of cuttings and seedlings. I wish I could have someone help me organize my plants to utilize the little light I have because, I too, have a lot of plants. Now I'm rambling, thank you for sharing your gorgeous plant collection, your so lucky to have so much light.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

thank you for your kind words! I myself prefer indoors as much light and sun as possible, so by extension my plants get it too ;)..

southern windows of course get quite hot in summer, but they have less light actually then east or west due to high overhead sun. I've had very large southern windows at some point too, and using venetian blinds at half-close in reverse helped a lot: instead of closing them in usual way down towards you, you need to over-open them away from you. this allows overhead light to come in but reduces the heat levels. I had then to basically remove most plants to 2-3 feet away to prevent constant drying up.

if you have one large plant taking the whole window, it prolly would be better to put it under supplemental light instead and arrange smaller plants in staggered fashion closer to the window light.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

you are well progressed into a serious case of plant-obsession :)!

nice set-up, I especially love the violet purple lamps! ;).

not kidding! I would like to get smth like that myself. I assume it's a special LED grow combo red/blue? but the triple clamp is very cool! I've seen this hue in the windows and assumed it was some kind of modern-mood-lamp or some such..but it turns out to be a GROW! light...LOL.

• Mary W.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Petrushka literally, I bought those on Amazon and it was the best purchase I've ever made!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZHY1B4C?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

They have a timer on them and everything! I had to get something or there was no way I could keep plants alive without one. The gooseneck lights and clamp are super convenient when you have a plant rack/stand and they are like 1 lb. Super light. If your in need of a lamp, that one is the best IMO. I have another white wide spectrum too but I think the purple is better quality. It has a bunch of 5* reviews.

You think I'm getting a plant obsession? That's a compliment in my book, I consider it a full blown addiction lol 😂😆 Do you have pictures of your setup?

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

I have floor to ceiling windows all around rooms..roughly 14'-7'-26',and.. I think.. I keep living room presentable for guests and family :), this is a little piece of it:

the spare bedroom is sort of a plant nursery/craft-studio and I have 7' tall shelves running along windows in various stages of disarray :..especially in winter, when I have to bring plants from the balcony...this is a view between the window and the shelf, where you can still see something. it's from march, so still very crowded with extra plants.

it is facing west : so is usually back-lit for pic-taking. and it's a wall of greenery.

I still call it a hobby, although it takes too much time and effort. I converted all my plants to bottom or top water-wicking, so I can still take vacations even in the heat of summer!

even leaving my balcony totally unattended for weeks on end at 85-90F.

but filling water reservoirs takes a lot of time and effort, of course. in general I can prepare a 2-3week absence in 5-7 days.

I don't use lights, as I have great light as is. but some of my begonias and episcias could definitely benefit from artificial lighting, part of the year at least. hence my interest :).

I've found several possible led-clamps like yours that I might get on Amazon. they are quite good looking (I am averse to industrial set-up..at this moment at least LOL).

I have some space left that is away from windows (God help me! ..to utilize my capacity to the max ..;)..). Where the lights might be quite handy..

so TY for the link..the bedroom might be violet-purple soon …(insane giggling..)

• Mary W.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Petrushka your outdoor wall of plants is SUPER impressive!! I love looking at other plant setups to see they have utilized their light. If I were you, I wouldn't be using artificial light either. I absolutely HATE the way the lights look in my house...I hate dead plants more.

I wish I could have success with begonias but I just don't have the light for them, they are so beautiful especially the polka dot begonia.

I think you have found a great way to care for all your plants. I think that without you using the self watering pots you wouldn't be able to leave those thirsty babes in the hot sun for weeks. That was really smart! I just get so nervous with those pots, thinking of constant moisture screams root rot in my head, but since clearly you know what your talking about, I just bought one that you can wall mount, so I just need to pick what plant to try it with. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

you have accumulated such a beautiful selection of plants, it looks like a tropical Paradise in your home, I'm so very jealous that you have the room for all those lush beauts.

happy gardening,

I may contact you with questions in the future if that's okay with you.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

yep, it's ok. but I don't do private e-mails, so as not to overload my mail-box :). but if you reference me (search my name) or follow me then you'll see that I talk quite a lot about my method and how I manage. I check periodically for interesting threads and butt in often ;).

mostly I use 'African violet style wicking' using porous light mixes at least 40% perlite and small pots (large pots do not wick well), etc and variations on Av-soil/coir dust:small bark-coco chips/perlite. it works quite well for tropicals that like to stay evenly moist and would died if totally dry. most houseplants are tropicals, of course.

happy growing!

• Mary W.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Petrushka

wow, I just checked out your profile and saw all of your balcony plants. I love how the chairs look with the plants surrounding them. Your begonias are just to die for however, out of all your plants that shamrock plant is my favorite. It's so happy too, that bright purple is just a beautiful color.

that was great you took pictures of your plants and uploaded them each season. I would love to wakeup with a cup of coffee and sit with those beautiful plants out on that balcony. Your so lucky to have all the light you do. There's so many plants I can't have due to my cave lit studio.

I won't bother you, I think just following you and looking at your posts is enough advice for me! Thank you, I could look at your plant pics for hours lol

• Mary W.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm not sure where you live but that view off your balcony is spectacular!!! If that was in Boston, that place would be millions. literally.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

i'm on the Hudson waterfront in jersey city, right across from downtown NYC. it's a nice relatively new area, rehabbed from old railroad yards some 40-50 years ago.