mommamund

want to update my chandelier without spending a lot

mommamund
4 years ago

Any way to update the light fixture??

Comments (21)

• salonva
    3 years ago

Those are some great examples that Ida shared. I might also suggest totally removing the shades. I have seen some chandeliers like yours with no shades and they looked pretty good.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

you can buy a complete new one for 100-150 bucks. is that too much?

otherwise, spray paint yours metallic and change out the shades. (but you'd have to do the same to the lamps)

• always1stepbehind
    3 years ago

How does it look without the shades??

• mommamund
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is how it looks without the shades. My idea was to remove the shades and add the vintage bulbs

• jiddie
    3 years ago

So much better without shades! Spray paint the white covers black to match fixture.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

The fixture is undersized for the room. For that ceiling height, 2 tiers would be better. I just checked Lowes for these chandeliers that have 9 lights. The prices are modest.

Frankly, you could likely pick up something off Craigslist that would suit your room better than your current selection.

• Marina Cont
    3 years ago

I think painting it white without the shades and using transparent candles will make it look much more better !

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

What is the budget?

• mommamund
    Original Author
    3 years ago

250 or less

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO a chandelier should light the table not the ceiling and please no Edison bulbs that provide the worst possible lighting.

• mommamund
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did try it with the Edison bulbs without the shades and it looked awful.

• Kathryn Leeson-Kight KDLK Interior Design Consultation
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There are all kinds of ideas here to get you thinking, but let me ask you a couple of questions.

1. What kind of updating do you want? Let me give you a couple of options, maybe you want a fixture which is lighter to brighten the room up a little, or maybe a style change is what you're after.

2. What size is your dining table? I think I can see it is a round table with an extension. When you sized your light fixture was it with the table without the extension or with it in place, and how do you normally keep the table, most of the time. Rule of thumb is 1.5 to 1.75 the width of your table with a distance of 30" to 32" above. Since your table and light are working together that would be the harmony you're after.

There are a number of very nice new options which would be within your budget if you wanted to replace. However the fixture is not in isolation, keep in mind the other elements in the room to maintain a harmony. Changing the shades out for something lighter could be a economical way to start and of course if you don't like them as long as they don't get marked up you can return them to the store. Then start thinking of a bigger change.

Good thing to remember is the more reflective or light surfaces will bring more light into any space, regardless if the fixture is lit or not.

• ilikefriday
    3 years ago

Can you post a photo of a light fixture you would like? Maybe we can get you close to what you want if we know what it is. Also, have you looked on Amazon? They have a ton of chandeliers under your budget. If you cant find exactly what you want then maybe you can find one that is close and make some alterations.

Here are some examples of very affordable chandeliers, they may or may not be the style you are looking for. All four examples are available Amazon Prime. Keep in mind that the color of any light fixture is easily changed with a little paint or Rub and Buff.

I have been searching for chandeliers over the past several days and came across one very similar to the ones Beverly posted. If I find it I will post. I think it was $69.

Top Left

Top Right

Bottom Left

Bottom Right

• ilikefriday
    3 years ago

Amazon $79

Oh well, it does not look as much like the one above as I remembered...

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

I will say this, the price will reflect in the appearance of some of these fixtures if your budget is 250 then look for fixtures around 200$ that way with taxes you will stay on budget and get something that is suitable for the things you have in your space. Shop closeouts and discounts!

What is your table size?

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I might spray paint it gold. I like the idea of adding these "candle covers" to brighten and dress up the bulb-sleeve-things. (They come in different colors, too).

https://www.amazon.com/Nexxxi-Plastic-Candle-Sleeves-Chandeliers/dp/B07FYWSZN1?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_7

• mommamund
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Table is 108” oval

• tsjmjh
    3 years ago

There are many, many choices for the chandelier style you want for ~ $200. I'd look for a new one before I'd mess with taking the current one down, spray painting it, adding plastic cover things, then reinstalling it.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

I'd seriously consider buying a new fixture. The one you have seems a bit undersized for your dining area and your dining table.