Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_allenselvaggio

house some curb appeal at my entry

Sara S
4 years ago

Looking for ideas to make the red more cohesive. Planters possibly?

Comments (40)

• jck910
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

we need to see the entire front of the home

• lizziesma
    4 years ago

From just this one photo, I would say beef up your landscaping. You have a rather imposing entry. I love your door color and would plant something reddish in landscaping such as red twig dogwood, Japanese maple, red shades of heuchera. Pots with several shades of purple/ red flowers.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s the front

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Curb appeal ideas

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    4 years ago

The red is an accent color, it doesn't need to be cohesive with anything.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

RappArchitecture that’s so good to know

• Christopher CNC
    4 years ago

Compare the color of your dress and boots to the color of the house. Which has more curb appeal? A light beige house with white trim is doing everything it can to fade into the back ground. It is dull, ordinary, timid and lacking any effort to stand out.

At a minimum paint all the window and detail trim in a bolder color that says look at me. I hate beige so I'd paint the house body a different color too. Beige is so indecisive. The red of the door and colors in the paver drive are a good starting point for selecting a stronger color to use.

Then plant a Jacaranda on the left front lawn if you are far enough south.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

I see copper Pots. Now what to put in them I wouldn’t know what to recommend

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would pots in a shade of blue be flashy or strange?

• jck910
    4 years ago

Due to the door being mostly glass the red really isn't a statement. Paint the door black

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

I like the blue idea. Flank your walkway, if there is room. Plant something red in it.. Even one pot on the left side of the walkway before you Reach the door would be a nice touch.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

The white garage door "walls" are pulling too much focus. Paint them the same color as the siding to help them recede. Your front door/entry area and landscaping are where you need more attention.

• acm
    4 years ago

It is going to be an uphill climb to make the front door compete with the white expanse of a triple garage and paved drive in front. *lots* of color in a walkway leading to the front stoop, like an arrow to draw the eye.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank I so much for these comments.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

The weight that is dragging everything else down, IMO, is the skimpy stoop and walk, and the fact that it is barricaded with plant material. It's hard for something hidden to look inviting. It should be the most welcoming portion of the home.

The garage doors would be improved if their top panels could be changed out with ones that have banks of windows in them. (I know they come as individual panels but don't know if you can purchase them that way.)

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

The red is fine.

Your entrance is obscured with plantings. I would remove the part of the bed that blocks the path. The path seems rather scrawny for your grand double doors. I would amend the hardscape.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Agree with Yardvaark regarding garage doors with windows.

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

I don't see the appeal in the walkway beds that have become so common. Without it the area seems wider and more inviting.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yardvaark I so agree. Our building put it in and it’s way too much

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Nice portico. The plants with uneven tops in front of it, though, are not a plus for it.

Instead of "beefing up" your landscaping, begin by removing all shrubs and plants in front of your stoop on both sides of the sidewalk. Reuse them. Move those plants to the left of the portico to increase the depth / density of that planting area as needed in front of the left side of the house (or to wrap the planting area around the left corner of the house?).

Rather than a "ragged" top of plants there, consider Liriope -- or else that will grow where you live -- something low and even height for outlining all of your sidewalk and/or driveway.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

Liriope already outlines the walk and it's a big part of the problem here. It would be fine in the foundation bed below windows. Ideal probably as not too tall and is evergreen. Outlining walks and drive with it would be big mistake, IMO.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes they put way too much in and I will def be making changes. I don’t like the landscaping at all.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thoughts on using both blue and red pots/planters? Or would it look too much like 4th of July?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

Where?

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

No to blue and red. I still think copper/bronze pots

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Katie ok I agree now. Lol . I think it’s the red door making me crazy. I love the ones u posted.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

The red is fine. It sounds like you want to overhaul the landscaping...

here are a few more inspo photos

I didn’t realize some of the other posts I’ve seen are also your house (interior). Very nice!!

Add some palm trees

Red flowering plants

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

Some times pots just make the area look cluttered. Try a box of similar size to see it you like something in that space.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Katie yes I’m collecting all my decorating ideas so as soon as we can all get back to normal and can shop I will know exactly what I want to do in each space. I do not like the landscaping the builder put in but I guess that’s ok because I planned to make it my own anyway. I had several sago palms at my last house and that’s exactly what I need here.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Emmarene do you mean a box like the size of a pot?

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Yes the landscaping they put in is underwhelming. Beautiful home though- you must be thrilled.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes we love it so far and it’s on a beautiful pond that happens to have a gator in it right now🙀and because of coronavirus we can’t get anyone to remove him right now. It’s kind of fun to watch him though.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a couple full house shots

• emmarene9
    4 years ago

Yes, just put out an item the size of the pot you think you would want. You will notice if it crowds you too much.

• Zabi tat
    4 years ago

A beautiful home with great potential too. A few touch ups and your home will knock it out of the park for sure. Your entryway is great starting point. Even though the door is mostly glass, painting the door a darker/ basic tones would make it stand out even more. Can you post a close up photo of your door?

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Got a couple sago palms so I’m getting started.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

Those grow much too large for that position. I don't think you yet grasp the concept of keeping the entry clear so it seems welcoming.

• Sara S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First of all they are slow growing. I love them and that what matters. I plan to plant them in the yard in the future. Once again people on here have every right to their opinions however the attitude in which the advice on here is given never ceases to amaze me. But it’s easy to hide behind your phone or computer and be rude . There are other ways to say things and actually be nice about it.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

Then both of my statements are true.