Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

How to chose a shower base (or a tub) based on pre-existing drain

Peke
4 years ago

We are removing an acrylic shower stall that is 33" x 33" in our hall bathroom. There is another tub/shower bathroom upstairs and the master bath with tub/shower so the hall bathroom is mostly for use by visitors.

I want to either put a tub/shower in it or a 36" x 48" shower in it. No tile shower floor.

My questions:

1. How do I choose a tub or solid surface shower base that will match up with the drain we already have? Are the holes predrilled? I would rather not move the plumbing in the slab. How or where do I measure? The tub and shower will have a wall on two sides. The tub end will have a low pony wall in front of the toilet or will be open. If it is a shower, I don't know what it will be. Glass?

Do I measure AFTER the shower stall is removed?

2. Which would be least expensive to install? A 5 ft acrylic tub or a 36" x 48" solid surface shower base? I can find the prices on the shower base and tub, but I don't know about the cost of installation.

3. We live in a rural lake area, and good contractors are hard to find. Which is the choice that is least likely to be screwed up by the contractor? The solid surface bases are newer than tubs, so it is possible the contractor has never installed the solid surface bases. This is one of the reasons we don't want a tile shower floor.

Thanks

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Contact Grifform and ask please.

Peke thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • weedmeister
    4 years ago

Is that 33x33 the inside dimension or the outside dimension?

Peke thanked weedmeister
  • Bruce in Northern Virginia
    4 years ago

The specific drain location will depend on the brand of the shower base, so you need to first get good measurements of the current location relative to the wall. For example, most prefab shower pans have the wall flange right against the wall framing (not on top of drywall), so your measurements have to allow for the thickness of the existing drywall and pre-fab shower wall. Then find out what the manufacturer says the measurements should be for your new pan or tub.

If the drain is a little too far out to match a stock pan you can shim the edge of the pan a little where it meet the framing and get it to line up. However, I'm not sure it will line up well for anything other than a similar size pan. Some longer pans do have an offset drain (set to one end), but many center the drain in both directions.

You also may get lucky and find out there is more possible adjustment for drain location than you think. When I installed a pan in a new concrete slab the directions said to leave a 5"x5" opening in the slab, centered on the drain pipe. Its not a lot of space, but it allowed for last minute adjustments to the precise pipe location when the pan was installed after framing. We sealed and filled around the pipe before the final pan installation, but a couple of sharp hammer blows would open up the 5"x5" space again.

Bruce

Peke thanked Bruce in Northern Virginia
  • Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Joseph, Grifform! I could not remember the name. Thank you.

Weedmeister, interior dimensions.

Bruce, thanks. We will tear out the old shower this week so I should be able to measure. I will post when I know more.

If I use a Swanstone or Onyx Collection base, I thought the contractor drilled the drain hole. I might be wrong, but the floor should slope down to the drain. If a shower base gets a hole drilled later, then wouldn't it be flat? I would be standing in water. I may not be explaining this well...

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Peke,

We just went through this, although we were replacing a 34x48 pan with a 34x48. I wanted to use the Onyx pan but the drain hole wasn't in the right place. However on the Swanstone pan it was, so Swanstone it is. Our is a center drain but not all center drain pans have it in the same place.

We have hydronic infloor radiant heat under the pan so there really was no moving the hole. You just have to look at the engineer drawing for a bunch of different pans and see if they line up. Alternatively you can buy a custom pan. For us that was about $1K for custom solid surface vs approx $650 for the Onxy pan from Lowes vs $260 for the Swanstone pan from Home Depot.

I didn't see the measurements on the Onxy site but Lowes prints them out with their quote.

Swanstone is VERY easy to install the drain and it comes with. Also very easy to install the pan if you follow the directions and not walk on it for 24 hrs to let the mortar cure. Our contractor walked on it. But the pan should still be good. It just crunches a little with the cavities he opened up by walking on it about an hour after installing it. I'm hoping I don't notice the softness after a while and the crunchyness because I won't hear it with the shower running.

Peke thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Grifform custom makes pans. You can have the drain anywhere.

Peke thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Swanstone for $ 260.00? It must have been the Veritek line. I looked for the solid surface Swanstone line today, and they are about $1000.00. The problem is I need a dual threshold shower base. (only 2 sides are against the wall.) Swanstone does not make them.

The Onyx Collection is solid surface all the way through, but they add a gel coating on top. If that gets scratched, then the scratch shows. But, they DO make a dual threshold shower base. They also have a video to show how to measure.

Grifform, yes. I started looking at them today. I have not found any that are dual threshold.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Home Depot carries both the Swanstone and Veritek line. The last base we put in was Veritek. This time we bought the Swanstone. Both have increased in price since we bought ours a month ago.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swan-34-in-x-48-in-Solid-Surface-Single-Threshold-Center-Drain-Shower-Pan-in-White-SF03448MD-010/202508816

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swan-Veritek-34-in-x-48-in-Single-Threshold-Center-Drain-Shower-Pan-in-White-FF03448MD-010/100677598

I was also a little worried it wasn't the actual Swanstone so I verified the item number on the box we received with the item number on the Swanstone web site and they matched.

The Onyx bases were REALLY nice. I would have loved to get one. Did you order the free samples to pick a material? You can get 6 samples for free. We were going to do the base in Cloud and the walls in Iceberg with the wave pattern to make it more modern.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I need a dual threshold so the single threshold will not work. It would save me a lot of money.

I have not ordered samples yet. I can't find a display set up that I can look at. None of the Lowes or Home Depots have a display. I drove as far as 2 hours away. I will have to keep looking.

I like the idea of Cloud as a base and Iceberg as the walls.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

For walls we are going with Flexstone. I called the company and they will send 96 inch panels so we can run them to the ceiling.

They do have a 2 wall product.

https://flexstoneproducts.com/tub-shower-surrounds/

They also offer shower bases. You might want to call and ask them if they have the size and configuration you want. They don't have all their products on the web site. For instance we are getting a niche with a shelf that isn't shown on their web site and a suspended corner seat (also not on the web site). We are going with the Calacatta White pattern. It is more traditional than I'd prefer but still fairly neutral.

When I talked to them they said it looks really good to run the panel to the ceiling and not have the top trim so that is what we are going to do.

Our tile guy walked out half way through the job so we have a ton of tile to return and these on order. After viewing the instructions my husband thinks he can install them himself. They should show up in about a week. We also got one stick of the remodeler's trim (thicker to go over existing tile) in case we need it to cover a corner that was torn up and needs a professional drywaller to finish.

Here is what our sales order looks like:

48"x36"x96" Shower Surround

1 - 48" x 96" back panel

2 - 36" x 96" side panels

4 - 3" x 96" standard trims

1 - 15" corner shelf with bracket

2 - 96" Rigid Corner Reinforcement

Installation kit including:

12 - cartridges of Performance Pro adhesive

2 - cartridges of Performance Pro Trans-White silicone

STLSG3296 3" x 96" SG Trim, 2" lip 1Calacatta White

STLCSB28 Corner Seat 28" with Bracket 1Calacatta White

STLRSC1523 Recessed Shampoo Caddy 15" x 23" x 4" outside (9" x 17" inside) with single shelf.

---------------------------

Subtotal

You can order 3 free samples through their web site. The samples are 8"x5" so a nice size.

https://flexstoneproducts.com/colors/

We got Golden Beaches (far left)

Breccia Paradiso (center)

Calacatta White (far fight)

The material is really impressive. Completely water resistant front to back, stiff and lightweight. The patterns were fantastic. Golden Beaches was too yellow undertone for our white base but would have been fantastic with our old off white base. Breccia Paradiso was really pretty but too dark for our small shower and competed with the granite we have on our countertops.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I looked at them today! They look easy to install, just like the Onyx Collection. I liked their colors too.

Impressive that the pattern is printed out.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

They also sell through Home Depot so you can see real people's reviews and their finished product. I think they look fantastic.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FlexStone-Elite-32-in-x-60-in-x-60-in-9-Piece-Easy-Up-Adhesive-Tub-Surround-in-Calacatta-White-TSK60326031CW/304669187

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will call them tomorrow to see if they make dual threshold. Lowes and Home Depot does not have them. 10 year warranty, too.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

They were super nice and accomodating when I sent in a request through their contact form with my questions.

I didn't know they made 96" panels, had a corner seat, or bigger niche with a shelf until I asked. Also providing a "remodelers" trim that allows you to put the panels over existing tile is a huge bonus if you don't want to do a tile tearout.

I think they thought of everything so wouldn't be surprised if they do your dual threshold.

They sent me the following details on order fulfillment and shipping:

"Once an order is placed, it will take 2-3 business days to fabricate and
    2-3 business in transit from our Utah factory to get to Denver. The
    materials are fairly sizable, so they will be strapped to a large pallet
    and sent on a truck as an LTL shipment. The carrier will call you
    before making the delivery. They will arrange an appointment with you to
    make the delivery. You will need to be home to receive the delivery.
    They will drop the pallet at your front door or in your garage."

Made in the USA is a huge plus so there is no delay. Also when I called to place the order we talked to the guy and asked about what aspects people had trouble with on installation and he walked us through his tips and suggestions. We had already watched all their on-line installation videos and read the instructions. Everything seemed doable and was well described.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am calling Grifform and Swanstone and several others tomorrow. Surely, other people need dual threshold showers.

I read about the delivery process. Wow! Those drivers are not going anywhere until I have looked at everything. I am sure they will not like that, but evidently Flexstone has had problems before.

I know UPS has been delivering Amazon boxes to me with sand or dirt in them. I have no idea why, but it has been happening for about a year.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just remembered that a semi does the delivery so I can't buy from them. We have a long driveway down to the lake and no place to turn around. Backing up the hill is not fun for a semi driver especially on a blind curve at the mailbox. We had two companies who refused to deliver already. It is blacktop, but not good for semis.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

You can probably have them deliver to the end of the driveway and then put the kit in your pickup to bring to the house. I don't think the panels are heavy so you could disassemble it and move the individual pieces. They call in advance to schedule the delivery so I would just tell them then where you want it delivered and then meet them to sign for it.

Good idea on inspection. I hadn't seen anyone saying theirs was delivered damaged but I will inspect. Usually when I've ordered things that are damaged I take photos at delivery and write on the delivery receipt everything that is damage. I've never had a problem getting things replace that way.

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It stated on their website that you are supposed to inspect before the delivery people left...look for damaged crates, repaired crates, holes made by forklifts, etc. Then they said exactly what to write on the delivery form.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Inspection is always a good idea. Can you link to where they discuss it? I can't find it. Thanks!

• Peke
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just looked for it and couldn't find it. I will look tomorrow.

• weedmeister
    4 years ago

Shower pans have the slope built in. The concrete floor needs to be flat. For measurements, you should make them from the wall after everything is removed. If the drain needs to be moved just a little, it isn't that hard to remove a small area of concrete.

Peke thanked weedmeister