Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachy_williams

Help decorate upstairs Loft

peachy williams
4 years ago

I am in desperate need of help with my upstairs loft. I have sat on the floor starting at this room for days but I just can’t figure it out. My style is modern but functional. I can’t figure out colors also to go with the dark leather sofa. We recently purchased this dark gray recliner which is great for movies but I can’t figure out how to design around it. Ugh!!! I want to cry! Please help. Thanks in advance!!!!

Comments (14)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

What do you primarily want to use the space for? I see a shelf of games - do you play them? If so, you need a big coffee table if you want to do so in this room. I would opt for closed storage for the games. Look through Houzz photos of family rooms, living rooms, etc and let us know some of the rooms that appeal to you. Looks like a great space and a good start.

• peachy williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ShadyWillowFarm This is a movie/game room. This is where we camp out for family time. With the recliner already being so dark I want decor to lighten the space.

• peachy williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting thank you! The rolled up thing is another rug. A gray one that I wanted to see if it would work but I think it's too dull for the space. I will look into end tables and a rug. I'll take your advice to find a rug and try to base some colors from that. Picking colors is hard for me also. Thank you!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Post once the rug is in then we can help with color .

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

Can you get a tv console with good closed storage for the games? Then move the recliner to the window wall, and the big sofa to the wall that currently has the shelf on it. Front legs should be on the rug, and don’t push everything hard up against the wall. IKEA has good storage options, and lots of stuff is on sale right now online from many companies. This is a smaller one, they come bigger.

peachy williams thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

This one is kinda pricey, but the size provides good storage and the colors are nice.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

I would decorate windows with drapes, get a coffee table, wall art, accent pillows.

• peachy williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ ShadyWillowFarm We tried to place the longer reclined against the longer wall (beside the shelf of games) but we were not able to recline all the chairs that way. So we swapped them and now all the chairs can be reclined. But who really needs to recline them all at once anyways. I like your ideas especially the second pic. I agree a larger cabinet like that will provide more storage. I will look into that.

• peachy williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ celerygirl I love your username! Thanks. I agree with all that! I gotta figure out these colors but I am going to find a rug and show you all. Then maybe you can help me pick my colors from that! Great advice! thank you :)

• peachy williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really think this room is made for a sectional. The small wall is not even with the other wall so that means your looking at the tv from an angle no matter where you sit :( we may have to swap the recliners and we may just not be able to recline 1 or 2 of them

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

Nice room for a family to get together and enjoy tv time and games.

You need an accent color. What color were you thinking of?

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

I think the colors in this inspiration would work well in your room.

Inspiration:

LENNOX STREET HOUSE · More Info

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Colorful rug...pillows or throws...draperies at ends of window.....maybe even an accent wall...colorful means different things to different people...all dusty pastels....brighter color patterns ...etc...

which is why it is worth the time to choose a colorful rug that you love...

and use that as a guide for other color elements