Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terirwin

Gray paint and the corona virus...

terirwin
3 years ago

Hello, we bought a carriage home (condo) in Naples, FL but we are “snowbirds” and decided to leave quickly before we were able to make any paint choices. The condo is a second story vaulted unit facing southwest with a wonderful amount of sunlight. I’ve read about ordering squares of paint and plan to try it. I can’t get to the paint store to look at a paint fan and computer screens aren’t true. The painter wants to use Sherwin-Williams and I plan to honor his wishes. I am looking for cool colors of blue-gray and gray-blue. I plan to use navy as an accent and I want a deep navy, not a royal blue navy. I would also welcome paint choices for bedrooms that work with that plan for the kitchen, living and dining rooms that are adjoined. Thanks in advance for any advice and stay safe!

Comments (13)

• missenigma
    3 years ago

Sherwin Williams is offering curbside pick up for paint chips . . .

• terirwin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Interesting! But I need advice on which colors to order. I put the color snap visualizer on my iPad but, sadly, I just don’t find it that helpful. Thanks for this!!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

That's a full color design plan.

Maybe consider hiring an edesigner who specializes in virtual color consultations.

Because even if it's just advice on which paint chips to snag or samples to buy would be invaluable considering the curbside situation.

I can’t get to the paint store to look at a paint fan and computer screens aren’t true.

You're several steps ahead because you already know this!

Doesn't matter what computer you have or device your're using, there is no way to accurately specify color from a picture online.

And actually that's the #1 complaint I hear about samplize.com.

People are ordering colors from the website, have no idea what the colors look like in real life, and are somewhere between shocked and disappointed when they open the envelope and see what they got.

I've had client spend hundreds of dollars on that site and none of the colors they ordered worked. All of 'em went right in the garbage.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I have used SW Repose Gray in a new build great room with 22’ ceiling. It looks quite light and fresh. Very hard decision to make long distance. Their floor is dark engineered wood. White trim. I have also used SW Agreeable Gray. It is nice too especially with a lot of light. But it is warmer than Repose Gray. What is your flooring going to be and furniture colors?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

These walls are Agreeable Gray. Lighting is not great.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here is Repose Gray. It is more gray looking in my opinion.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

The last two are Repose Gray (aside from accent section).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

We mixed soft beige and light grays with the Repose Gray. If you want that ability, Repose Gray is a good choice.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Navy would be great with either color.

• terirwin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The floors are a sandy light color with tones of gray, beige and light blue. I’m not sure how well you can see it from this picture...

• julieste
    3 years ago

This is not what you are going to want to hear. We are also snowbirds in SW Florida who just this year bought a condo. I too had a vision in my mind about the color scheme and palette I want. I went to the paint stores and got sample chips, looked at paint fans, and I bought about a dozen sample cans. I also got some samples of lovely and highly recommended colors I had already used when I had to have my parents' house up north painted for sale last year.

I had a terrible time choosing colors that looked right in the setting I was putting them. As we all know the outside surroundings and lighting affect how a color appears in a room. And, they appear different at different times of day. In fact, one color I had chosen for a hall (after having 6 or 8 samples painted on the hall for over a week) looked awful as soon as the painter started to do the edging work with it. I had to select a different color.

My suggestion to you is to wait. After all, you won't be living in your condo again until fall, so you have time. We all hope that things are somewhat back to normal in a few months. Put your painter on hold. Fly down for a week in the summer and be there while the paint choices are being made. I think in the long run you'll be much happier.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I totally agree wait until you get back to the condo then worry about paint colors . They are never done in a vacuum and all your stuff will have an effect on the colors you choose also your artificial lighting too. I hesitate to use blue/ grays they are difficult to get right and can have all sorts of issues with undertones . If you are mixing navy then they become even more problematic. Just wait it is a good idea to be there anyway when work is done .