Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popmama

Some sort of bulb possibly tigridia?

Whatever this is, it survived inside in a shoe box all winter in my kitchen. I'm sure I pulled it out of a pot last year, put it in the shoebox thinking I'd store it in the basement, and promptly forgot. Well, it looks to have done pretty well being forgotten. But I didn't label it. I'm thinking it's possibly tigridia Mexican Hat flower. Anyone recognize the bulbs/shoots?

If nothing else, I did pot it up and will find out as it grows.

Comments (15)

• macranthos
    4 years ago

Could they be an Arum of some sort? I don’t know what you might have had but maybe some Amorphophallus? What zone would these have been exposed to?

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked macranthos
  • popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hmm..interesting plant, but definitely not Arum. I don't recognize those at all. Whatever it is would have grown in a container last summer as an annual. I'm in zone 5.

• macranthos
    4 years ago

No Sauromatum, Dracunculus, or Amorphophallus in the past then?

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked macranthos
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You're just making up names now! Hahah. Just kidding. But no. I've never even heard of those. Although now I am intrigued. I am pretty sure it's tigridia the more I think about it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It's hard to find images of Tigridia bulbs but the few I can see don't look much like your unknown clump. Never had Zantedeschia?

popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ding ding ding! Oh floral_uk! you may be right! I did have calla lily in a pot last year as well! And that would explain why it looks like a clump that has multiplied as well. Tigridia are little corms that dont seem to clump like that. I think you solved my mystery!

Original Author
    4 years ago

And this also means that Macranthos was right too. Since Arum is in the same family as my generic calla lily. So my apologies, macranthos. I believe your initial assessment was correct!

I totally forgot that I had them in a container last year. I remember thinking it was so pretty that I may as well "try" to save it. I really didn't believe I could. I threw it in a shoe box along with some elephant ear bulbs and put it in my kitchen. I fully intended to put that box in the basement where it is cooler but never did.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

Yes, Macranthos earned the dings.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

what really helped with the ID.. was that you included the box in the first pic .... lol ...

check how deep they should be planted in the pot .. and plant it that deep.. even if you put it that far down in the pot.. and keep adding some media as the plant etoliates ...

and keep in mind.. its been in a dark box.. so it will need to be hardened off to sun ... start slow with the process .. perhaps indoors for a week or so ... then full bright shade outside.. when its time to go out in a colder zone ...

ken

Original Author
    4 years ago

They are not hardy here so I only grow them in containers in the Summer. Last year, I remember I had them in a container with some really pretty oxalis, browalia, and impatiens.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

“Put it in a shoebox thinking I’d store it in the basement, then promptly forgot about it.” Hahaha==>>>> I am wondering how large your kitchen is or how many cupboards you have??? My 1935 kitchen is so small, that my husband and I would be tripping over it or My husband would be yelling at me to get it out of the way, because it would be in the way everywhere!!! :-)

Original Author
    4 years ago

I know, djacobz! It's just amusing. I have a church pew in my kitchen and under it I store all sorts of things. Well, that's where the shoebox went and that's where it stayed until the other day. :-)

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago

Good thing you pulled that box out and checked on it when you did. It looks ready to go!

Original Author
    3 years ago

Just came back to give an update. I put it in a nursery pot and babied it for about 6 weeks. Yesterday I moved it into a nice planter for its summer home.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!