Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_597978091

Pantry door, pocket door or no door

Lisa
4 years ago

Pantry hidden door , pocket door or no door for easy access ? Pantry will Be used for big appliances, recipe boois, canned goods, mops, snacks etc , with open shelving

Comments (10)

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

My pantry holds most of the above (no mops) - I have a pocket door which is open most of the time but closes to hide the dishes/pans that get stuffed in there when we entertain.

• eam44
    4 years ago

Pocket door. They are expensive but worth it.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Or try retracting doors.

Fall 2013 Parade of Homes-Platinum Award Winner · More Info

Consider something like this for mops, etc.

Diamond Vibe: Utility Organizer Cabinet · More Info

• tranquila00
    2 years ago

@Lisa what did you do in the end? I am facing same dilemma! My pantry will be very narrow and have open shelving but not house mops. I'm leaning towards no door because i think it will be open all the time, and there are only two of us - so I can't see the point in spending lots of money on a door that will probably always be open! Would like to see yours though?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We did a door that’s a fake panel but we always keep it open. I would keep it open . And maybe have door just if you have guests for closing .

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

If the pantry door is adjacent or within a run of cabinets I would suggest making the door look like cabinetry. Guess that would be your hidden door option you listed above.

• Helen
    2 years ago

I can't imagine not having a door that could be closed because frankly the contents of a pantry aren't that attractive. I moved into my condo after the gut remodel and my closets lacked doors for awhile while they were being made and there is no comparison between what the rooms like like with closet doors - SHUT - and when the contents of the closets were on continual display.

I have a small galley kitchen and have a very shallow "pantry" at one end. It is shallow because of a structural column behind it. To add storage I had my cabinets run along what is the back of my dining area and there are two tall cabinets with doors.

One has pullouts except for the portion that has the counter running through it and the other serves as my utility closet and has mops and other cleaning stuff with a shelf above for other cleaning and maintenance items.

I wouldn't go with a pocket door because they are a bit more difficult to close than a regular door - I mean how difficult is it to shut a door. I don't make my bed every morning but I still manage to take two seconds to shut a door.

This is the portion of my cabinets which I had extended into the dining area - the tall cabinet to the left has roll outs and the tall cabinet to the right is essentially a utility closet with shelves on the upper portion.

• Ernest Ball
    last year
    last modified: last year

It would be better to install a door in the pantry to separate it from other rooms in the house. When choosing interior doors, it is better to prefer expensive quality material, which will be in good condition for a long time. In our pantry, we installed a heavy oak door in a modern design. Before, there was a very old wooden door that did not close hermetically and constantly creaked. We ordered a cool new door for the pantry at https://www.internaldoors.co.uk/internal-doors/contemporary. Now the pantry looks very well. We plan to change doors throughout the house.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

We often incorporate a pantry door into a run of cabinetry.