Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lobo_93

Window/ Door coverings: B&W, brown, other? (1 photo)

lobo_93
4 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Dear Houzzers, here’s an update on my family room. I need help with determining which coverings (color AND type) for these 3 from left to right:

#1: New sliding door (West wall).

#2: Window to the backyard: original with white shutters

#3: Finally, getting to open a new window on the side (North wall). In progress: I thought I just to make it identical to the existing one in size and covering (white painted shutters).

(1) Black & white fabric shades: coordinating with the white painted shutters.
(2) Brown woven wood shades: coordinating with the browns on floors, FR sofa, kitchen cabinets.
(3) Crude & Off white (as in this rug): coordinating with the textured LiteStone on fireplace.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

What would be the purpose of shutters after you just opened up the view.I would use solar shades to control heat and UV rays and keep the view it does not appear that you need privacy so get the shades in 10% ina dark color to keep the view and then I guess if you want anything else add some drapes

lobo_93 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

CoolAir, thank you for your comment. I was considering mounting the shades over the doors’ frame and covering the top with a valance like (shown below). Those are woven wood roller shades. I chose this photo b/c my layout is similar, with wood-like ceramic tile floors and white walls. Note: no votes for brown, so far. You voted B&W, do you have one favorite/ recommendation? https://www.houzz.com/photos/sliding-glass-doors-transitional-family-room-phvw-vp~32751134

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Patricia you said, “What would be the purpose of shutters after you just opened up the view”. Thanks for the slap, ha, ha; you are right. Before you said it, I thought the obvious was to repeat the features of the existing window on the West wall (both in size and covering). After your comment and the inspiration photo above, it makes more sense to consider roller or roman shades. Thank you!

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the new window on the North wall:

1: new cutout

2: left (existing), right (new)

3: the new window is done :)

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@AshleighRaderHomes, @CoolAir, @Kodiac23, @Patricia, @Waverly6 Here is the mountain view that I talked about (seen from the new window on the North wall):

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I still need help with determining which coverings (color AND type -roller, roman, ...) for these 3 spaces, from left to right: 1. sliding door, 2. window to backyard, 3. new window (side):

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

lobo, I do like this idea for the slider.

Sliding Glass doors · More Info

But, I think these solar shades look cool too. and I love the black.

(the door needs to be trimmed!)

I noticed you haven't trimmed out the windows, maybe do that and get similar woven woods for those? (or, you could use the woven woods even if you use the solars on the other. as long as they're in the same type of look or material , you'll be ok)

you could always bring in some sheers or drapes to jazz it u

you may be able to do something like this for the slider. (and I like the simple, wider type of trim they have around this. you could mount the shades just below it, insetting them, and then hang a drapery rod above a foot above it and do similar drapes:

remove this trim thing around this window and do the simple trim I was referring to

a sample layout for your room showing the inset blinds. (I'd do the trim like I show below)

something like this:

instead of the woven woods, you could do drapes like this

or, I also like these type of blinds.

Pirouettes . (not this color obviously)

lobo_93 thanked Beth H. :
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth: Your pictures helped greatly to envision the space; thank you so much! Here is what I think:

#1, 4, 5: Brown woven-wood: I like the “organic feeling”, but would it be too brown?

#2, 3: Black solar shades: It might look like black holes against the very white walls, ha, ha.

#6, 7, 8, 9: Added drapes or drapes only: I think I’ll pass.

#11: Top-Down Bottom-Up Shades‎ and crude color: I like these ;) New question: suitable for both door and windows?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

they all come in diff colors.

the top down option would be better for your windows.

check out blinds.com. great customer service. I've ordered at least 10 blinds from them.

I have both the cellulars and the woven woods from Bali.

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth: I just checked blinds.com, thank you for the advice ;) I think I'll go with roller blinds, wood/bamboo type, and these are the 2 colors that I liked the most:

Looking now for a 3rd option to take the decision (white/ crude with texture)...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

they will send you free samples too. you might want to order a few.

This was the Bali woven wood I got about 14 years ago! It's trimmed out in a black, 1" ribbon.

and one of the Bali double cell-cellulars in my sons room

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth, beautiful choices, thanks for sharing 😊 I love the look of your Bali woven wood. Having said that, I would have the opposite contrasting blinds and floor. Yours are light floors and dark brown blinds, while mine would be dark brown floors, with white/crude blinds.

blinds.com/free-samples department is temporarily closed b/c of quarantine; I will keep looking for similar options.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi lobo. I love your new fireplace! I think you need to make these decisions.

For me.... for the Slider... I prefer easy opening and drapes in your preference.

1. Privacy preference? When window treatment is CLOSED ....

• Opaque? (block view)
    • Light filtering? (some natural light)
    • Sheer? (lots of light)

2. Opening ease?

• Shades? --- bottom to top shade? --- top to bottom? --- bottom to top? --- pull up?
    • Drapes? --- (center draw drapes? (symmetrical balance) --- one-way draw drapes? ---
    • Blinds?

3. Fabric content? - casual, or other

4. Color/s?

• Match Wall Color - to blend and see View as Focal Point
    • Solid color? --- White? or Accent color?
    • Print? --- Black/white? Dark Gray/white? Accent color/white?

Choice of Heading Design

Here are some ideas .......

lobo_93 thanked LB Interiors
  • lobo_93
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LB Interiors: Thank you for your ideas and pics ;) You asked:

Privacy: not really an issue. However, we get quite a lot of sunlight (see below), so no sheers, I am inclined to the light filtering ones instead.

Opening: I am thinking, woven-wood roller shades, for all 3.

Fabric: casual, organic, some texture.

Colors: white/ crude? --Blending with white wall, matching with white stone fireplace, contrasting with medium brown tile floors ;)

I have these 2 selected: "Blinds/Aruba balsa" & "Bali/Trinidad Whitewash", but I cannot get samples at this time, so I am open to other suggestions.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Home Depot owns Blinds.com, so they carry the books w/all of the samples. you can view them in the store

lobo, do you like the Silohettes ? (name brand, as Pirouette, but they are also called 'flat sheer' shade. )

I had these one on my window and really like them. they can be closed or open like the pic. they let in the light but still offer a bit of privacy.

Flat Sheer

Luxaflex

and here's your dark floor w/the light bamboo.

These are gorgeous w/the white drapes

woven whites are pretty too if you have that all-white room

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    3 years ago

Will the woven wood roller shade on the slider, be 1 or 2 separate shades? 1 shade might be quite heavy? I think?

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth and LB: thank you both. I have narrowed my choices down to 1-Type: wood-woven shades, roller type, split with single valance, 2- Color family: white/crude, light, with texture. As for the samples, blindscom and HomeDepot are not sending samples at this time. :(

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth you said “woven whites are pretty too if you have that all-white room." Yes, I agree :) I'm definitely leaning towards very light or white/crude shades because I would like for the paintings in that room to be the source of color; so the shades and walls can have texture but cannot be too showy.

@Julie your ref. “smithANDnoble/ Tongli Fennel 16798 Thank you so much for replying. I love the elegant look that you achieved with adding layers of B&W, crude, and organic materials. All the best.

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good morning, I am still trying to get those samples: "smithANDnoble Tongli Fennel 16798", "BALI Trinidad Whitewash 60417". Meanwhile, anyone knows the ALTA brand? These 2 products in particular: "ALTA Luzon Whisper 2323" and "ALTA Martinique Wash 9470".

• lobo_93
    Original Author
    3 years ago

2021 Update: Here is the picture with the woven shades (S&N 1683 Santa Barbara):

My "houzz" · More Info

<Edited: I am revisiting my threads for houzzers' ideas. Now I must refresh/ update with decluttering and staging in mind -new post here-> https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6056749/pillows-for-this-sofa-and-frames-for-these-paints.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    3 years ago

Just a little tweak I see in the 2nd photo. Maybe I'm viewing it wrong. I'm thinking you can move the chair and ottoman closer to the center of the space. Maybe even the sofa closer to center. By moving the chair, it won't feel like it is too close to your desk. Moving furniture as a group closer to each other in a space, will not make the room seem smaller, but it will seem larger. Also keeps it a bit cozier for easier conversation with guests. i think I would move the 2 chairs closer to each other as a pair with an end table between, centered to the sofa that is opposite. The 2 chairs do not seem to have a connection to the sofa.