Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edieallie

Anyone have experience with higher-end faux plant/tree? Like NDI?

OllieJane
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have all real plants in my house, except for a corner in my formal dining room. Actually, I have tried about five palm plants in that corner, and they all die. The problem is, I need a 7-8 foot palm plant/tree. My house is contemporary southwest, so I want a sort of "palm tree-looking" tall plant.

I don't mind paying for "real-looking" ones at all. I have looked at Home Goods and other places, and with the exception of Ethan Allen, they all look too fake. Ethan Allen's aren't tall enough, or I'd buy one of theirs. They may even be by NDI? I don't know.

Just wondering if any of you have bought plants/trees from NDI and if you really think they look real. Or, if you know of another website?

Comments (20)

• chispa
    4 years ago

Have you tried a Dracaena Massangeana (corn plant)?

https://dengarden.com/gardening/Caring-for-Dracaena-Mass-Cane-Mass-Cane-Corn-Plant-Dracaena-Massangeana

You usually only see smallish ones in stores, but when we lived in the northeast we had a large 5-stalk one that was around 8 ft tall, with stalks at varying heights below that. If you can get a taller one, they are good because they don't take up a lot of space, width wise. You would need to go to a good nursery and have them order you a large one.

They require very little care. We had it for about 6 years and the only reason we got rid of it was because we moved out of state.

Like this, but ours had 5 stalks and was much taller and fuller.

https://www.plants.com/p/mass-cane-floor-plant-157705-2?pla=9392&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI25an79386AIVFCCtBh3JwgqkEAQYAiABEgKz0_D_BwE

• bbstx
    4 years ago

Here is a blogger touting a faux fiddle leaf fig. It looks great, but I find the price breath-taking!

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Most all faux trees/plant/flowers lose their lifelike looks after a few weeks in placement. Dust gets them most every time.

• lyfia
    4 years ago

Not had such luck to find one, but also not been searching. I'll be following since my cats tend to not just eat the cat friendly ones I buy, but also knock them down creating a mess. I really would like some greenery. I grew up in a house full of plants.

On another note have you thought of using a plant pedestal and putting a plant on it. Then it might not need to be as tall.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

Search on Pinterest for “faux trees.” Lots of options listed.

• OllieJane
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not a bad idea lyfia! I do have the best black and brass pot I'd love to put one in though. Dresses up the formal dining room, but not too, too much, so I would love to use it.

bbstx, I wonder if the fig tree is from NDI originally, even though One Kings Lane sells it? It is really nice and real looking. I like that blog. Thanks!

chispa, that is what I have now, that is halfway alive LOL. For some reason, it is that spot it's in. I usually always had good luck with houseplants in my house. Sounds like the one you had was gorgeous and tall!

Maddielee, true in that the ones I had many years ago looked dusty and then not so good after awhile. I was hoping the better quality ones would look good longer. I think they all get dusty, if you don't keep after them.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

I have a couple of faux green plants and a couple of real green plants. Stuck in the house with nothing to do, I dusted leaves last week!

• ninasmom
    4 years ago

I don’t ever want a tally of how many plants I have killed :(

You all inspired me to order a faux fig from World Market @ 1/10th of the price.

One of my friends has so many thriving plants, but realistically I am better off dusting than attempting to revive trees in a non-humidified drafty house.

• Ephma
    4 years ago

I have a faux olive tree from Crate and Barrel that was the most realistic one I’ve found. It’s really good. I haven’t checked out their other faux plants but might be worth a shot.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

NDI fakes are fabulous, but I could never pull the trigger on one. I have a faux ficus topiary going on 10 years now. From Wayfair! Just remarked to DH the other day it's a wonder it has not faded.

• OllieJane
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Kwsl! Glad to hear!

• OllieJane
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mtn, I never thought about Wayfair. I’ll check it out.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

I used to have an NDI arrangement similar to the one below (definitely 90’s OTT). I was so disappointed because after a couple of years, the “water” discolored. I called the company and got no satisfaction. I found an opaque vase and slipped it in it, but it did not look as good as the original clear vase when it was new.

• lyfia
    4 years ago

olliesmom you can probably use the pots you have with a plant stand as most usually looks too small on there and a larger pot generally looks better. I wonder if the current plant isn't doing so well because not enough light reaches it.

• OllieJane
    Original Author
    4 years ago

yes, Lyfia, that is the one corner in part of my house that doesn't get enough light. I think if I chose another type of tree, it might do better, but I want the "style" of tree that takes more sun.

I did find a tall cactus on Wayfair, and a bamboo-I may give one of those a try before spending the money on the NDI. The NDI was on sale yesterday though-haven't checked today yet. All I know, is, I'm tired of changing out the real plant/tress in that corner.

• Katherine
    3 years ago

Did you end up buying an NDI tree? I'm in the same position you were, as in I might be able to accept the price if I had a first-hand review that confirms they are really amazing fakes.

I have been stalking their site for over a year. They seem to have introduced a couple of slightly less expensive trees although not super tall (eg, smilex).

One thought I had was to order an arrangement on sale with a lot of greenery, just to gauge quality, tho I haven't done it yet.

I did read a review somewhere that their shipping prices are super high. On Horchow an NDI tree ships for $250.

Lots of low light corners in my house could really benefit from a tree.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

NDI fakes are great. Fakes from others are spotty. I would mix in with real plants. Also, some are harder to fake than others; I think anything with a real prominent bark is usually hard to fake. I bought a fake plant from Ikea yesterday on a lark, and I like it.

I've also posted before that Ballards' fake olive trees are excellent.

I think putting a plant in a lowlight corner will scream fake, tho? Can you put something else there?

This site gets good reviews too: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiRusticReach?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=645999912

ETA: good tips here -- def want to use something around the plant like moss or even dirt. You could even coat a faux trunk with a little smidge mud to make it look more natural

• Katherine
    3 years ago

Thank you for the input. You're right that it may be a stretch for me to put things in an obviously low light location. It's just so hard to find decor that achieves verticality the way a tree does. Will check out the other sites, too.

• jessicapril
    3 years ago

These are probably too small for your space but they look great in our home and are a steal!