Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittneyheld

In need of help with a cottage update!!!

Brittney H
4 years ago

Hello everyone!

I need to pick all of your brains!

I hope you are all healthy and doing well.
This is my first post!

I have the task of design this cottage which couldn’t has been purchased at the worst possible time. That being said there is little to no income to support this renovation and redecorating but things could be worse. The consensus is that the mid century green has to go but I think we can make it work! I had a thought to possibly put cedar shingles in the peaks either in the natural colour or possibly a very dark colour, paint or shirt the crawl space with a more appealing material. Please put on the your most frugal thinking caps and share any visions or ideas you may have..... We need your help!
The inside is completely 70’s and we are just going to paint the paneling for now and remove the carpet ( even though I kind of like it) we have hundred of square feet or Carrara marble which we will be doing in the entrance ways, and bathroom ( please give your opinion on a grout colour that is not as high maintenance as white, as this will be rented out when we are not there. The rest of the house will be done in most likely white pine or red ( but I really don’t like the red knots) and the the stairs are done in pine, but I am finishing them myself and I want them as light as possible so I’m an not staining only putting a clear coat on. I have not figured out if It is better to use a mat finish or gloss ( mat hides more dings and scratches I have been told) . I have decided to paint all the paneling in semi gloss white, but I can decide whether to leave the slab wood doors the original mid century look, or leave the door and trim ( the kitchen cupboards match it as well) or paint everything. Please keep in mind I am keeping with the mid century theme partially and have decor that backs that up.
The third photo is from the lake looking at the house, #4 is walking in the front door looking at the living and dining area #5 is the living and kitchen area.

It’s not allowing me to put any more photos, so there are two bedroom upstairs.

Thanks!

“Master Bedroom”
This is the front of the house which is facing the driveway which in standing on. Helps to get a better understand.
Living room looking out on the lake
The front of the house entry door.
main floor bedroom ( that will be the Master ( I think) which we will be putting in a patio door going onto the deck we have to build?.
This has to go just not sure if we will leave the upper cabinet ( less mess and money to Get into) and just put an island ?
This is the skirting I was trying to explain but no as you can see it’s raw aluminum for the most part ( pretty scary looking?) but I think I will just paint it for now and try to blend it in lol.
A better view of the main floor. Behind where I’m stand is where you enter from the front of the house, the main floor bedroom ( that will be the Master ( I think) which we will be putting in a patio door going onto the deck we have to build?, laundry room and stairs to upper level.

Comments (4)

• jck910
    4 years ago

Your post is very long and there is nothing to vote on. Delete this post and your previous one and in the new post concisely state your dilemma.

Is this a year round home or a vacation home? Who are you "designing" for?

• Kathleen Marineau
    4 years ago

Since you plan to rent the house some of the time, I am assuming it is not your primary year round residence.

I agree with painting the paneling, but disagree about the paint sheen. When sun shine is bouncing off the lake and in through those wonderful windows it will get very bright. Light bounces off semi-gloss like a mirror. I'd go with a satin or semi-matte sheen. They are both washable as long as you do not use a "magic eraser" type of scrubber.

I like white, but it may not be the best choice for a Lake House. MCM often used Navajo White which is a creamy color with a tinge of yellow. It might not be the best choice given the kitchen cabinets, which look to be in good condition; so I'd pick something like BM Wind's Breath OC-24 or Frappe AF-85. Both are neutrals with a touch of beige.

If you put the tile at the entrance, please consider a non-slip rug on top of it. An over-size bath mat rug would be good and could be an accent color. You will need something for wet, muddy, sandy feet, shoes, flip-flops to splash onto. For vacation renters, I'd suggest a mud tray to keep wet footwear near the door. Not very decorative but it could sure save your floors.

My only suggestion for the outside is to put an awning over the front door. Later you could have a roof built, but a removable awning would help in the warm months. It'd be a place to shake off some of the water on rainy days.

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I agree that the finish of the paint should not be semi-gloss.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

IMO the post is too long and honestly I rarely read those long posts to the end. Voting is not the way to get answers for this long list of stuff that needs doing. I do not see marble in this house as is. Couple of things no semigloss paint on walls ever. All that panelling will need to be cleaned ,primed and at least 2 coats of paint in a flat or eggshell finish. I have no idea why you like the carpet. I think you need to slow down and have a plan or this will look like you had a whole bunch of stuff left over and you dumped it in here. From what you describe no marble anywhere for sure. Leave the cabinets as they are they look like one of the better things in the house.All the carpet has to go in every room no matter what . I would take that out before even beginning to do anything, god knows what is in that .The skirting , what is it hiding would be my first question. Yes it needs to redone but with what I am not sure first you need to see what is behind all those patches.What is the stove pipe in the last picture. So many things to be considered . You need a mew front deck before somebody gets hurt.I sure hope this was one cheap buy .

If you are a designer you should know better than do duplicate posts BTW.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21