Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_666948958

Please help me with My Dying shriveled Panda Plant! (๑ १д१)

HU-666948958
3 years ago

I know this is long but I want to give all the information I have.

Iv'e had this sweet baby for like 2 years now and she's done great and I can't remember when things started going down hill, maybe because it was so gradual. I bought my Panda plant with a pin cushion cactus and they always sit together and get watered together, the only window I can keep them on is in my room which doesn't get the best natural light probably because of the way it's facing and there is a tree right in front of my window that blocks the light. I can't put it anywhere else because my cats will get it.

The first thing that I noticed was that the stems where longer than how it was when I fist bought it, I thought that's just how they get when they grow. Then some leaves would fall of or fall down from a light touch, I didn't think much of it because my mom has some succulents that do that and you can easily re plant them. Then The leaves started looking dryer, and before that I might have over watered the two a bit...... I usually fill a small bucket up and place the 2 plants in it with the water half way up the plants, I heard that it's better to feed them bottom up because before when they were on another window there were some small bugs on them and they got sun burnt. I usually only leave them for 30 minutes but I was making food and and I forgot about them for a while, a long while.....like 4 hours. (๑ १д१).I tried to get the water out of them by draining them and smashing the soil down to get the water out. Then like I said the leaves looked drier and it just kept getting worse even though I just watered it days ago. I bought whole new pots with succulent soil and a plant light. I re potted both of them with the soil and some small pebbles and some cactus fertilizer (Just a bit). Iv'e had the light on them for the recommended times but it's just getting worse and i'm afraid this is it. Even though my beautiful pin cushion cactus is doing fine my panda plant is on deaths door!

Looking at the picture now compared to a healthy Panda plant makes me wish I would've done something sooner. :'(

Comments (7)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Photo is not clear enough for me to tell what's wrong. It is either dried up, or rotted???

Reading your description, you may have over-watered, and then under-watered. Maybe you have repeated it too many times? Both can be stressful for plant. It can take some of it, but if repeated, plant gets week and quite susceptible to any disease or bugs.

Stems of his plant can grow long, but leaves should be compact = close together.

Fertilizing doesn't help sick plant to get better, it could be the opposite.

How large are the 'pebbles' you used with the soil? Mix doesn't look suitable for succulents - but that's what it looks to me in your photo. Can't tell for sure, but light seems to be illuminating pots more than plants. It may be much better to have light suspended above. How many hrs is it on?

It also looks infested by bugs but again, photo needs to be clear to tell for sure. Dark specks could be soil...

Is the stem dry or soft?

• HU-666948958
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@rina_Ontario,Canada 5a

This is what my plant should look like and had looked like a while ago. I don't think I over watered/ under watered it multiple times because I got one of those plant moisture meters to know when to water it.

I put fertilizer in both re potted plants as kind of a good luck thing, I don't even know if it does anything but I though it couldn't hurt. I only put a very small amount.

I did think that the soil might have been to "Normal looking" in the sense that it was like normal potting soil but I got this bag exactly and it's what i have used ever since I got them.

I had previously put in pebbles just to help the soil drain even better (as well as some sand the first time but that was to much to deal with) the pebbles are like smaller than my thumbnail.

I tried putting the light above the plants but because this is the only lamp I have it has this clip so that you can attach it to a surface and I have to use it because the bulb sticks out so I can't leave it facing downward on the bulb.

Luckily there are no bugs! I think because of the quality of the picture it looks like the darker bits at the end of the leaves are bugs but there not. In the picture I had just desperately flung water droplets onto the plant so that it could get some water back into it so that's why there is dark spots in the soil.

Unfortunately the leaves and stem are getting dryer and dryer..... I was hoping that they would start to perk up or at least only part of the stem would dry up and fall off but everything seems very hard and dry. D:

• HU-666948958
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) Do you maybe think that I could cut a lot of it off an leave a bit of the stem and then the plant may grow back? D':

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Your plant used to look pretty good. Sorry it isn't anymore.

If it is thoroughly dry, it will not grow anymore. From your description, it sounds that is the case.

Unfortunately, bagged soil is often not as advertised. That is why we amend it. Pebbles you use are most likely too big to help. It is best to use grit, that is about 3-6mm in size; approx. size of grain of rice. This is what it looks like, mixed with sifted perlite:

If you don't have it, use just sifted perlite (sifting gets rid of dust). Mixing it with soil you bought in 1:1 ratio would give you mix looking similar to this:

Sand is usually too fine and shouldn't be used.

Moisture meters often fail, unless you have really good one. Those are quite expensive. You could use wooden/bamboo skewer or chopstick or pencil to stick deep into pot. Water only when it is dry upon being pulled out.

Take plant out of pot, get all soil off the roots and see if they are alive. If so, they can start growing again. But judging from your description and photo it is likely dead.

These plants propagate easily from stem cuttings or leaves. But they need to be alive and healthy in order to grow.Here are young plantlets growing from he leaves - you can see 'mama' leaves (circled), they are still in good shape, even after feeding plants and roots for months:

• HU-666948958
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@rina_Ontario,Canada 5a Before it got really dried I actually planted some of the little leaves as a sort of just in case. I just checked on them and it seems like 1 or 2 of them have sprouted juuuust a little bit! :D Also what does "healthy roots" look like?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Not dry and brittle (dead from no water), not soft and mushy (rotting from too much water).

Glad to hear that you have couple of little sprouts! :)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio