Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsourcasa

If you have a pot filler, how high is it mounted?

itsourcasa
3 years ago

Or how many inches between the top of the pot filler to the hood? I don't want it to look too high. Our hood is 30" above an electric range.

***And I know pot fillers are stupid and pointless (and even though I'm writing this someone will let me know that lol) but we have the piping in already and love the look and convenience. The end.***

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO the biggest waste of money ever . It is easy to carry a cold pot of water and really not easy for the boiling water so what really is the point . They often leak then you get to remove your backsplash to fix the leak . Close it off tile the wall and spend the money on a better stove unless you mean you have an induction stove not regular electric.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

This is what we do ...give opinions...just like you ...who seem to be comfortable with belittling and insulting people

• skmom
    3 years ago

My hood is 31” from the top of my counter. I have a dual fuel range, so the grates over the burners stick up 1” higher than the countertop. The top of my pot filler is 12” below the bottom of the hood. It’s a good working height for all of my uses. (My hubby wishes he mounted the hood JUST a bit higher. He’s 6’1” and his knocked his head on the corner of the hood a few times. Oops! Anyways, hope that helps! Here’s a photo so you can see how mine looks:

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@btydrvn who was your comment directed towards?

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@skmom thank you! That is perfect, ours will be to one side also! So helpful.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Itsourcasa...this is your post...you asked for opinions...Patricia gave you her opinion...you insulted her after she offered her opinion..

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

🤷🏼‍♀️

• Longbranchstitch
    3 years ago

I have a pot filler that I use frequently. It’s 13” from the bottom of the hood. I do let boiled water cool and then move it to the sink in my island, directly across from the stove. No issues yet and I’ve been using it for ten plus years.

• functionthenlook
    3 years ago

I have the controls on the back of the stove. Mine is 14 1/2 inches above cooktop. I've never had trouble with mine. It's double valve.

I love people who address everything, but the question you ask. It's nice if they give extra ideas, but at least answer the original question.

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@btydrvn I honestly can't think what to respond to you. I've heard Patricia's argument about the pot filler 64 times on here. We want and are having a pot filler installed, that's not the opinion I was looking for. Did you read my question? I even put a disclaimer with six stars around it. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone lol.

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Longbranchstitch and @functionthenlook thank you! I appreciate your answers and pictures, seems 12-13" below the hood is where we'll land. Can't wait to finally be able to use it, I don't know anyone who has had an issue with one ever.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

You put the pot filler high enough to clear your largest pot but you stated you already have the plumbing in so that kind of is where it is going I guess

• megs1030
    3 years ago

Mine is installed 13" from the counter to the center of the plumbing. You want it high enough to fit your largest pot under it but also so that your arm is not reaching up to turn it on. Despite what the naysayers say, I love mine and use it daily. I have a large kitchen and bad shoulders from years of competitive swimming and water polo, so carrying heavy pots of water from my sink is a struggle.

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

ours is 13" above cooktop.

get double-valve for safety reasons

make sure the PF clears your tallest pot

we use ours multiple times a day for a myriad of uses, not just 'filling a pot'. we installed a water filter to ours (in crawl space) so all the water is filtered for cooking and drinking.

believe me, you will find many uses/conveniences from it. i would hate to be without it!!

• megs1030
    3 years ago

@sprtphntc7a, that stone is amazing!! Would love to see more of your kitchen!

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting Actually a family member is a plumber if you must know and is willing to move it down for us before we backsplash, we did a major reno and wanted to wait to move it until our cabinets and hood were in.

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@megs1030 I've only heard good things and we do a lot of pasta for the kids! Thank you for the measurements. @sprtphntc7a definitely a double valve it's the kohler artifacts. I find myself wishing it was hooked up, I'd use it every day! Thanks for the pic.

• rustynail
    3 years ago

We have one, use it all the time. Double valve is good! Go for it, you won’t regret it!

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@rustynail can't wait to be able to finally use it, staring at an ugly pipe for months now lol.

• live_wire_oak
    3 years ago

Between 52”-58” from the floor is the range that most feel comfortable with. Adjust to your height, and pot usage. As a safety precaution, an access panel on the rear with an internal shut off valve is a good idea if you can manage it.

• annamastro
    3 years ago

@itsourcasa I absolutely LOVE my pot filler! It is a must have for me! We use it everyday.

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @live_wire_oak, we ended up at about 50" from the floor.

@annamastro I will use it daily also, can't wait.

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Plumber came today, pipe was moved! I went by your recommendations and we ended up at 13" above the range which puts the spout about 10" below the hood. It's about 7-8" tall this pot filler so this height on the wall seemed to work perfectly. Now to patch the drywall and install the backsplash so we can actually get the pot filler up and use it. Thank you.

• rustynail
    3 years ago

Great job!

• PRO
    Build Beautiful
    3 years ago

A quick check on Wolf website states:

" Some considerations:

• Place the pot filler high enough to fill the largest pot. However, if the largest pot is only used a couple times a year, it may be more practical to place it lower to accommodate a more commonly used pot.
    • The pot filler should be placed to the right or left of the cooking surface to avoid reaching over the cooking surface to access.
    • The pot filler can be placed above the cooking surface. However, it can get hot from the surface burners or a large pot.
    • If the pot filler is not able to access all of the surface burners, locate the filler so it can access the largest surface burner.
    • A typical height dimension is 12” to 18” from the cooking surface. However, always refer to local code."

• HU-6868130
    3 years ago

Just wanted to say this thread was super helpful. We are putting our rough-in at 13-1/2" above the counter, which puts the spout at 16-1/2". Grates are about 1-1/2" so would be 15" from the cooktop to the spout. Hood will be at 30" so would leave about 10" from top of fixture to hood bottom. So many threads on pot fillers but not that easy to come by a relatively std height.

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU-6868130 I’m glad it helped! We finally finished our backsplash last weekend and the pot filler was installed yesterday! Next up is finishing the hood lol.

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One more pic. I’ve had it 24 hours and used it 3 times already!

• John Mullins
    6 months ago

@itsourcasa have you regretted the pot filler yet? I’m thinking about 15” above surface. Thanks!

• itsourcasa
    Original Author
    5 months ago

John, I use it daily!!!

• stravers12
    4 months ago

We bought the same pot filler for our new build. Only sticking point is I have a quartz backsplash with a shelf that is 22” high. Will it be odd to have the pot filler a few inches above the quartz shelf?

it seems most people have a tiled or quartzed surface to mount the pot filler on.

• lucky998877
    4 months ago

@stravers12 I would not do both the shelf and a pot filler...too much going on. Decide which one is more important. Hope your range top isn't gas...you will cook your quartz shelf in no time.