Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
890jkl

Cabin kitchen update

Jo R
3 years ago

We need to replace the sink at our cabin, which has led to why don't we replace the counters at the same time, which leads to what about the wallpaper, painting the ceiling, etc. Basically everything needs an update except for the flooring, and the cabinets have to stay for now due to budget. Would you just replace the sink/faucet for now and do everything else later, or should the counter be replaced at the same time as the sink? Also thinking of doing something different for the desk area countertop (maybe butcher block) because it is an odd depth. Also would like to do an over the range microwave to free up counter space. Just need some help/advice in general. Thank you!

890jkl's ideas · More Info

Comments (14)

• jck910
    3 years ago

I would just do the sink.

Jo R thanked jck910
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

you could easily do another sink.

(but please please, get a new light fixture!)

what do you want to do w/the rest of it? how much money do you want to spend?

you could easily DIY the wallpaper removal.

Freshen up the original cabs, maybe replace the hardware.

the long curtains over the sink is stupid, but everything else looks fresh

or,

I'm in love w/these two

Jo R thanked Beth H. :
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

Is the sink just worn out or does it need replacing because it's leaking? The answer to that may decide whether or not to just replace it or being forced to replace the counter tops as well. As Beth said, wallpaper removal can be DIY.

I'm not sure butcher block is appropriate for the style of cabinetry. It doesn't seem you can go any wider without interfering with the drawer and cabinet to the right.

Definitely a new light fixture!

If you want an OTR microwave, you'll have to go low profile, otherwise it would be too close to the stove top. You could also hang one under the cabinets by the desk to free up counter space by the stove.

Jo R thanked katinparadise
  • Trem Wills
    3 years ago

Beth where is the second light fixture from that you posted?

I agree to just get a light fixture and new sink right now.

Jo R thanked Trem Wills
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

ms, if you search, 'sputnik' lights, ' flush mount sputnik', you should find a lot.

I think the 2nd one is Wayfair. Wade Logan Badilla

this one is from Wayfair

• Connie Stackhouse
    3 years ago

We recently did a kitchen upgrade to our cabin as well, definitely on a budget!

We live 400+ miles from our summer place and are strictly DIY. We repainted the cabinets and updated the lighting, and what a difference it made! Good luck! Post pics when you are finished

Jo R thanked Connie Stackhouse
  • Trem Wills
    3 years ago

Thanks so much Beth

• Jo R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate the comments about keeping the period in time/charm part of the cabin and hadn't really thought of it that way. The sink is not ruined, but is showing it's age, and the faucet and garbage disposal are the main issue. The faucet leaks, and the garbage disposal side doesn't drain (we never use it, so the disposal can be taken out and just have the plumber do regular piping). I was planning to do a stainless sink, or I could just leave the old white one in?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

if the white one is in good shape and you like it, leave. give it a good scouring w/comet and see how it looks.

however, if you're doing new countertops, you may want an undermount sink for easy cleaning.

Look at Pre-fab countertops. you have a small area and could use one of those. they're about $500 for a 2x9' piece. fabricator cuts it to fit. use any left over for the desk area, or find another remnant that you like for that spot. it's easy to find small pieces like that.

i love the penny rounds for the backsplash. that would be period w/the house. So would these atomic starburst cabinet pulls

maybe some sheet marmoleum or linoleum for the floor. Comes in all colors and styles now.

Jo R thanked Beth H. :
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

If those are hardwood floors in your kitchen, I would certainly keep them. Depending on how much work you want to do there are many things that could change. Yes, change the light fixture but I don't think the sputnik goes with the cabin. Remove the scalloped piece above the sink. DIY the wallpaper removal. Get an over the range microwave. If wanting a total refresh, then I think painted cabinets would lighten the space a lot. New hardware for the cabinets, and of course a new sink and countertops

Jo R thanked Design Girl
  • kathiebartel
    3 years ago

Jo, your kitchen has lots of charm and certainly potential. I would definitely DIY remove the wallpaper. You might consider using peel and stick subway tile as a backsplash. (I will be doing that this summer at my own cabin -- my wallpaper dates from the 80's). The light fixture is really out of place and needs to be replaced. Not sure about the Sputnik light, though. I prefer Beth's first suggestion, but that's my taste, not yours!
    Can I ask what that desk area is used for? It seems to me that the space could be used for some better purpose. At the very least, I think I'd move the microwave over to that area.
    And I agree with Design Girl, remove the scalloped piece over the sink.

Jo R thanked kathiebartel
  • rachann61
    3 years ago

This is a cute cabin kitchen. I like most of the advice you have been given. My last kitchen had an over the range microwave. HATED IT! Like having a fighter jet land in your kitchen. Keep what you have and put a microwave in the desk area. Do you know you have to get a major appliance repair person to fix the microwave. Buy something cheap. Use it. Abuse it. Lose it.
    And lose the wallpaper. If you don’t want to do peel and stick backsplash just paint it. Maybe a cooler tone, blue or gray. Or your favorite color. Or white.
    Cute cabin. Keep us posted

Jo R thanked rachann61
  • partim
    3 years ago

Not a fan of over the range microwaves for safety reasons. And yes, they're a pain and $$ to replace or repair. I'd add a shelf below the cabinets, and put the microwave on that. Then lose the white organizer at the end of the counter and remove the desk to give you a great new working area beside your stove. Add a small table there if you need it. Maybe you can add a real cupboard or drawers where you have a blind corner now.

In my kitchen, I want the ultra-convenient prep space between the stove and the sink to be clear of everything except what I'm washing/chopping/mixing. So I suggest you put the toaster to the left of the stove (near the bread which is on the microwave LOL). Use an in-sink draining board. Convenient because you can still do things like drain pasta water through it etc. Your kitchen will seem so much more spacious.

Jo R thanked partim