Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol_davis104

Can you help me create the best 'first' impression?

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting, but I wanted to say how much I enjoy reading about the many projects challenges folks have .. and the amazing advice offered!

Here is my dilemma (well, one of them). I preparing my 60s ranch home to sell. The current look is a brown transitional roof, cream siding and a red brick facade. The roof is newer, and the aluminum siding just painted. It all looks 'cleaner' - but boring (I do still need to clean the chimney brick). I just painted a sample color on the front door, but either I do not like it (or there is a lot missing to make it look good).

I have a few projects to complete/update, since I am preparing to sell - and to me the 'first' impression is an important one. The house sits in an older neighborhood in somewhat of a cul-de-sac, and quite far back off the road. Even though it is in the city, once you get to the property it makes you feel you are on vacation (I want to give it a stunning curb appeal). I had dark brown gutters/downspouts, but they were accidentally painted.

Some of the things I am working on now is freshening up all the mulch and planting flowers. There is a small tree in the front yard that has died, I will replace it with a little larger flowering tree. I am also powering washing all the concrete, cleaning/fixing cutter covers and cleaning the chimney brick.

I thought about putting a lattice up the front of the tallest brick (adding a climbing plant), to give an area of interest. Obviously, I would like to do something with the front door and the overall entryway. The concrete patio ends almost to the left side of the door, which does not help. Once I remove the bench under the large picture window, I thought about adding a good-sized planter box on legs (centered w/the center window) - full of various colors/sizes of flowers.

I also thought of ways to try and 'enhance' the door color I just tried. Whether by adding wall planters on either side of the windows or scroll type shutters on either side. I also thought of adding a larger lantern on the front with large address numbers (left of the large windows) - then maybe a wall piece to the right of the windows (iron/metal).

I do not have much money for this, and unfortunately not a whole lot of time - since I have other projects to complete before selling. But I also know how important it is to me to give the home the 'look' it deserves to have. It's not like a small/old ranch, more like a little cottage/bungalow (so much nature/peace/wildlife). I tried to work with this in the back as well (also needs 'sprucing up').

Sorry for being so long-winded, I wanted to be sure to share my thoughts – and the ‘feel’ of the property. Hopefully, the photos will be helpful (one w/painted door is current state). In front of the large window, just off the patio is a large flowering cactus (other items are flowers to be planted).

Thank you all so very much for your help!

Comments (30)

• Denita
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You have a lovely home!

I agree with your plan. You have done many things right so far. The items that stick out to me are:

1. The light next to the front door needs to be much larger (at least 3 times its current size).
    2. Need your address numerals to be visible from the street/driveway. I don't see them now. They need to be large and near the front door even if you have them elsewhere on the property like the mailbox.
    3. I don't see a mailbox, it should be clean and easily accessible and marked with your address as well.
    4. The walkway needs to be redone. I hope you can find the funds for that as it will really 'welcome home' your buyers - and is one of the items that contributes to your bottom line in a big way. The walkway needs to come out from the front toward the street. If it can't come all the way to the street, have it come much further along the driveway.
    5. I think your front door color isn't working the way you envision it to work because that color isn't right for your home. Where are you geographically (nearest big city)? IMPO the colors need to be a deeper blue or in the green family to tie in with your landscaping.
    6. The landscape along the walkway on the right side is not enhancing your entry. Post in the landscape sub-forum here for ideas on what you should use and where you should plant it. There are excellent posters there that can help.

front door color in red brick home - Google Search · More Info

Peter Wodarz, Milileu Design · More Info

^I'm posting the above walkways so you can see that the one that is close to the house is still a good 8 to 10 feet from the house to allow a deep landscape bed. AND, there is an entirely separate walkway that comes down in front of the house. You don't have to do an elaborate walkway, but a wide one (at least 48 inches wide) gives a welcoming feeling to buyers and visitors.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked Denita
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I'd paint the beige a dark gray to contrast the orange brick.

Pressure wash the chimney

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • auntthelma
    3 years ago

Put a bistro set on the small patio. It looks relaxing and welcoming.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked auntthelma
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Photoshop a contrasting color for mulch/stone, a bit darker than the cream - I think that could look good. Imo, the bench does the welcome so I wouldn't be concerned about end at the left. If cactus is spiny, etc... I wouldn't keep it by a patio, unless far enough.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for the ideas!

• PRO
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Denita, I definitely agree most everything you pointed out. Without question the lantern. I want to add one that's considerably larger. Unfortunately, when it was originally installed they only allowed for about 4" clearance at the top. I was also considering adding the address to the right of the door, somewhat large/vertically.

I also have a new mailbox done, I'll show it later :) It's the cream color and will have a landscaped bed around the bottom, it will also have reflectors and the address done on each side.

As far as the concrete, I really love that idea .. it will truly depend on the funds. The front patio and drive need some concrete repair, so I may have them take a look at that also. The drive is around 250'.

Good point on the door, I almost went with a darker green. The landscape is a work in progress, I have a few things being worked on now. The items that are 'under the bench' in the pic are mostly items waiting to be planted. There is the cactus to the left of those, which will be cut back.

• PRO
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Beverly, the cream color was just recently painted - so I wouldn't paint it again. I did love your rendering though - you can tell it works well! Yes, the chimney is on my list (mentioned above) - I also have a chimney cap to put back up. Thank you!

• PRO
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Auntthelma - great minds think alike, I do have a little bistro set to use. I've been trying to get things pulled together to stage the house. That was one of the items to add :)

• PRO
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everdebz - I appreciate the ideas. I most definitely agree on the cactus! Though they are gorgeous when in bloom, the are painful to be near! I'm going to thin it out significantly, maybe try and move some of it - maybe on either side of the shed.

• PRO
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great thought Denita on adding my post to the landscaping thread. I truly need all the help I can get!

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I would get a new door or paint the existing door a dark gray blue or a dark gray.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked houssaon
  • Denita
    3 years ago

I like the second fixture katinparadise posted but without the edison bulb.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked Denita
  • S P
    3 years ago

Cement curbing or brick curbing would look very nice and would define your landscape beds and you could have it stained or stamped. Cement Curbing is generally pretty reasonable ($2-3 per foot ) and it can be stamped to look like brick. Not sure what actual brick curbing would cost.

Also two tall vertical planters with flowers or tall grass on each side of your front door at the base of the steps would give it nice appeal. And would remove all ornaments, keeping it simple is always better. Curbing picture ideas enclosed.....

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked S P
  • acm
    3 years ago

yeah, I'm kind of with calidesign, although I'd be tempted by the new porch light. the house is cute and the lawns are extensive and well-maintained. I think there's a lot you could do for your own pleasure, but there's no guarantee that anything beyond that will have any return in terms of the price you get or speed of selling -- the projects suggested above could run you hundreds of dollars and heaps of time that could be spent tidying up and getting this baby listed!

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked acm
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

I'm not a fan of Edison bulbs either Denita. Just a simple LED bulb would be fine. Or a candle bulb.

Business_Name_Placeholder thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • S P
    3 years ago

Hi celerygirl, do you mind if I ask what software you are using to add landscaping?

• cjcjmpls
    3 years ago

It has a bit of Mid-Century Modern vibe, doesn’t it? I’d totally want your house if I was in the market. Be sure to mention that in the listing :)

• cjcjmpls
    3 years ago

Mention the Mid-Century Modern part, not that someone in Minneapolis wishes she could move in, lol :)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I use photo editor.

• S P
    3 years ago

Thanks !

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Why do people ask for guidance AFTER they have painted? I don't get it.

• acm
    3 years ago

because they want to know "what else", not "what could I have already chosen better".

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Carol, I will give you a haha hard time.... cactus by the shed could be a shock, if that area is 'tight' to move around in...

• Anna Bees
    3 years ago

I would some flowers. For me house looks nicer when it has some flowers, small decor and lanterns in front

• PRO
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for the replies. Obviously this is been about a year ago, as with many of you so much is happened… Mini work changes family with Covid etc. I do appreciate everyone’s input. My post was from May, 2020… But the photos were taken a little earlier - So nothing was in bloom. I do have some landscaping pavers that I am going to use to put a front walk to the driveway, I also have purchased two larger lights for the front and the back similar to the one posted first here. They are an oil rubbed bronze - about 24” tall. I do love the other colors for the main home that were posted. The cream color was kind of an accident, and misunderstanding between myself and the painter :-)
    The chimney has been cleaned up, actually I had a repair done to it so in addition to the repair it’s been updated/cleaned up.
    Due to changes in my job and other things, the house hasn’t been put on the market yet, and I’ve had to shift some things around (for $). Since I’m doing many of the projects myself, it’s taking a bit longer. Hopefully I’ll have the interior cosmetic updates and flowers freshened up for an early spring. I plan to list March/April, so I’ll post some completed pictures. You were all very instrumental in the final choices I’ve made 😇