Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Beautiful 2020 roses in my garden - part 2

Earth Angel rose (KORgeowim/Christiana/Duchesse Christiana/Herzogin Christiana/La Belle Rouet/Secret Parfuma/'KO 03/1436-02'), bred by Tim Hermann Kordes (Germany, 2003) and released in the US 2015. Light pink, cream outer petals. Strong, apple, lemon, rose, sweet fragrance. 85 to 95 petals. Average diameter 3". Gorgeous old-fashioned bloom form. Even though it doesn't repeat as much as other roses, its unique beautiful look and lovely perfume earn its spot in my garden. Helen

Comments (137)

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Marbree is a really unusual rose! I love it!! It really does look like an old, old rose. Mmmmm

I really love your last picture of WM!! :)

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked rosecanadian
  • DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

Thank you! Such a gorgeous show of roses, and very nice photography. I think I'm in love with the Impressionist.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Carol, any roses that are beautiful, unique and repeat, I'll love them. I'm really impressed with William Morris even he has average health.

Thanks Deborah. I love The Impressionist, too. It's still a baby rose, and I adore every blooms.

All American Magic (MEIroylear/Aina) grandiflora rose bred by Alain Meilland (France, 1997). The 3-inch red and yellow stripes blooms have mild raspberry fragrance. The parents of this rose: seed: Yakimour × MEIvestal ,pollen: Scentimental(floribunda, Carruth, 1996). This is its first year in my garden, and I love the striped color combinations. I gave it a nickname Happy Rose because it always makes me smile when I look at it. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Crazy Love (KORbamflu/'KO 02/1100-10'/La Villa Cotta) grandiflora rose bred by Tim Hermann Kordes (Germany, 2002) and introduced in Germany 2013 and in US 2015. The 3.5-inch yellow, copper shading, light pink outer petal blooms have mild fragrance. It has 125 to 135 petals. This is its first year in my garden, and I love its complex colors and packed petals. Helen

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

What would you say is the most fragrant, disease-resistant rose that might also tolerate a bit of shade?

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago

Helen,

Thanks for the pictures of Crazy Love. It was on my short list of ones to get to replace Playboy but I ended up with Easy Livin. I am keeping it in mind for next year.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Deborah, from what I have seen, single petal roses do well in the shade because they usually don't need a lot of sun to produce single petal blooms. I don't have many single petal roses so maybe other forum members can share some of them that are healthy and fragrance.

mmmm, I think Crazy Love is so beautiful it should be a must have rose :) Helen

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Helen, Crazy Love is fabulous! Somehow it’s colors remind me a little bit of your Mama Africa rose. They would probably be perfect in a bouquet together.
    Deborah, I have Lyda Rose, a single, which is perfectly disease free and grows nicely in only a few hours of sun a day. I have two planted at the same time and the one with 6 hrs full sun is much bigger now, but the one in the shade is just as lovely only smaller and slower growing.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • the_bustopher z6 MO
    3 years ago

Your flowers are beautiful, and your presentation of them as pictures is equally beautiful. Thank you much for the look and the way you did them up.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked the_bustopher z6 MO
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Helen - your AAM is exquisite!!! The dark raspberry color is swoon-worthy!!! I am sooo in love with your pictures!! Your Crazy Love pictures are wonderful too!!! But your AAM pics are glorious!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Stephanie, I agree. Crazy Love and Mama Africa have similar color range and will be perfect in a bouquet together. Lyda Rose is one of my favorite single petal roses. It's so charming and healthy.

Thank you the_bustopher. It's a pleasure to share rose pics with friends :)

Thank you Carol. I love AAM!!! Helen

Some more roses...

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Evelyn (AUSsaucer/Apricot Parfait) climbing rose bred by David C. H. Austin (UK, before 1991) and introduced in UK (1991). The 3.5-inch apricot blend cupped rosette blooms have up to 100 petals and strong fragrance. This rose lasts very well in a vase. The parents of this rose are: Graham Thomas × Tamora. My rose has Rose Mosaic Disease (RMD) which causes splotchy yellowing on the leave and not cold hardy. However, my garden is in a warm zone so I don't have to worry about cold hardy. This rose is one of the most favorite David Austin roses in many gardens. Helen

Geoff Hamilton (AUSham/'D/51/88') shrub rose bred by David C. H. Austin (1997) and introduced in UK in the same year. The 3-inch globular, old-fashioned pink blooms have strong fragrance. Its parents are Heritage and an unnamed seedling. I think this rose has one of the best bloom forms, and it is doing well in my garden. Helen

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Helen - your Austins are so dreamily romantic!!! Sister, can I have a hallelujah!! GORGEOUS!!!!

• mjkjrobinson
    3 years ago

Hallelujah GORGEOUS! Love your roses!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked mjkjrobinson
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Carol and mjkjrobinson, LOL. Helen

A few more roses... Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Adelaide (Z8b Canada)
    3 years ago

So gorgeous Helen! I'm going to stare at your photos and pretend it's my garden....

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Adelaide (Z8b Canada)
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

mjkjrobinson - :) :)

Helen - Your QoS blooms are amazing!!! And there are soooo many of them!!! I'll be lucky to have about 4 blooms on each of my roses...while you have soooo many!!! And they're gorgeous!!!

GASP for your first picture of Versigny!!! How is the fragrance?

• Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)
    3 years ago

Wow!!! Big swoon over your QoS! Was all that just one plant? I just got two of them this spring And they’re still in (a few) buds. I can’t wait for them to develop a few years and hopefully be like yours!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Adelaide, I do the same with gorgeous once bloomer roses that I cannot grow in my garden, too :)

Carol, QoS blooms a lot. However, the blooms don’t last long in a vase so I just leave them on a plant. Versigny’s fragrance is analysed by Lubera, Switzerland: top notes of orange, apricot, peach; large medium notes of anise, narrow base of vanilla, almond.

Minshen, like most DAs, give grafted DAs about three years to reach their full potential. Yes, that's one QoS. Helen

• Adelaide (Z8b Canada)
    3 years ago

Helen, I just realized your QoS looks exactly like the DA catalogue front page! I hope mine will get 1/10 of yours in the first year!

Minshen, I'm also patiently waiting for my QoS and always getting surprised when I find a new bud emerging. I guess I'm in my newbie excitement mode haha

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Adelaide. QoS is pretty easy going rose. I think yours will look amazing once it's matured. Helen

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

SO pretty!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Adelaide — i know right? Mine just started to open her first bud today and I’m excited as a baby!

So far looking really cute and globular!

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Helen I love all your roses and I am just in awe of your amazing photography skills! Thank you for sharing such stunningly gorgeous pictures! Your garden is spectacular!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

One question, Helen — I see a lot of your roses are in containers, and they’re all gorgeous and healthy! I’m thinking of planting some in containers too next year as I’m running out of garden space. What kind of potty mix do you use for them? Do you repot or replace the top layer of soil every year? Thanks!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Joey, thank you for the kind words.

Minshen, that's a beautiful photo of a beautiful rose. Thank you for sharing. I have a lot of roses in pots because I like to collect unique beautiful roses and only have a small garden so I use pots to solve the problem.

My area has no rain from April to October so I use the Miracle-Gro Moisture Control potting soil. If your area has a lot of rain, you can use the one without the moisture control. If you decide to go with Miracle-Gro brand, don't go with the organic version because many people said its quality is bad. It's recommended to trim the roots and repot every couple years, but I'm still behind on those tasks. In my garden, things get done when things get done, lol.

By the way, not all my roses in containers are healthy. I usually give them a clean up (removing disease leaves, death branches...) before taking a pic, that's why they often look good in pics :) Helen

3 years ago

Thank you, Helen! These are really good to know. I’m very new to container gardening (potted my very first containers this spring; so far so good but they’re all tough things like shrubs and annuals that basically only require water — nothing like roses). And I agree, its hard to follow the schedule on every garden task. Things are done when they’re done ;)

• katyajini
    3 years ago

Helen thank you for sharing such beautiful, beautiful photographs! They project a tranquility that I am trying to bring as I recreate my garden. As you walk in you instantly feel floating away to deep serenity.

I am so attracted to Versigny! Does it look like the impressionist? what is the habit & size like and good fragrance? I had vaguely heard of this rose but never seen it.

<3

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked katyajini
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Katyajini, their blooms are different. Both are new in my garden so I don‘t have a lot of info about them yet. You can check them out at HMF for more detail info and full plant pics https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php . Helen

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Great photos Helen. My Queen of Sweden looks better to me, a little older. It's getting more of a vase shape left natural.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Helen - top notes of orange, apricot, peach; large medium notes of anise, narrow base of vanilla, almond. .... Oh my!!!! That sounds delectable!!!

Minshen - wonderful!!

Sheila - holy cow!!! Now that's a gorgeous rose bush!!! Wowza!

• katyajini
    3 years ago

Sheila, magnificent! I love the rose. I love how it looks altogether in your garden. I would just love let all my roses get so big.

Thanks Helen. Where did you get you Versigny?

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked katyajini
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sheila, your QoS is BEAUTIFUL! Mine is also trying to grow tall like yours, and I constantly trim it down to keep it at good height in relative with other roses near by.

Katyajini, I got Versigny from Rose Unlimited. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

More rose pics... Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Thank you for posting these fabulous roses!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • mattgrowsflowers PA z6
    3 years ago

Helen, WOW. That Augusta Louise is absolutely ridiculous! Ultimate rose goals right there... How is this the first time I'm seeing this rose?!? Thank you for sharing!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked mattgrowsflowers PA z6
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

I love that Augusta Louise! It reminds me of 'Savannah' but has a little something more.

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal(9b) , @Main St Garden PA z6 , @prairiemoon2 z6b MA .

@Main St Garden PA z6 , you can order Augusta Luise from Palatine Roses around September (it is named "Augusta Louise" on their website.) You will like this rose. Helen

• Adelaide (Z8b Canada)
    3 years ago

First ever showing of my newly planted QoS! I hope it'll get as amazing as yours some day Helen and Minshen!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

@bayarea - Nice, that Palatine offers that. Do they ship bare root in the fall? I've only ordered in the spring. But I REALLY like that rose. Someone else on the forums recommended it, too.

Would you say it is a healthy plant and could work in a no spray garden?

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Adelaide (Z8b Canada) beautiful photo of QoS. Thank you for sharing.

@prairiemoon2 z6b MA You can order bare root from Palatine Roses around September and they will ship the roses around November. It doesn’t need spraying in my garden. However, we don’t have black spot here so you can check with the people who live near your area. Helen

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Thanks! I'll check around about blackspot.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Bayarea girl, I was just looking over the thread again and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out HOW you take care of so many roses?! lol. Wow. Great job, really!

Sheila, I noticed your photo above, I always enjoy your rose photos with the house in the background with the tile roof and the grasses in front and the beautiful mature tree in the background. Very beautiful scene!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@prairiemoon2 z6b MA I have no idea, either, lol. Watering the potted roses are too time consuming, My garden has no rain from April to October. I have a drip system for the grounded roses, now I need to run a second drip system for the potted roses so I have more time enjoying the roses :) Helen

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous roses!! Wish I could tour your garden!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County