Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhliggett

What type of flooring is easiest on the feet in the kitchen?

dhliggett
3 years ago

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking and canning, so need something easy on my feet.

Comments (19)

• dan1888
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Probably cork. You can try Adidas running shoes with the Boost midsole. The cushioning does not wear out. UltraBoost models have good thickness.

• C W
    3 years ago

Cork is awesome. Or if you don’t like the look, vinyl flooring with cork or felt under it.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Don't forget that kitchen floors often get water spills. You will need something which resists them.

• Fori
    3 years ago

Linoleum. Vinyl too, I suppose, but real linoleum is just delightful underfoot.

• worthy
    3 years ago

Most comfortable we had was round stub rubber. But it's not a style to everyone's taste.

Rubber flooring.

After that, roll vinyl. Amazing to see Corelle ware drop on it with no worry On our previous kitchen floor of polished slate, dishes would literally explode.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

In descending order of both comfort and cost:

1. 8mm solid rubber flooring (very expensive...very nice...very tough to find) = stinks when it gets warm (like room temperature). The above rubber (floor in the photo) is SLICK when it gets wet.

2. 8mm solid cork flooring (medium expensive...should cost the same as porcelain tile install...hard to find but not impossible)

3. Linoleum (which includes cork dust in it's construction) cheaper than 8mm cork tiles...but not by much.

4. Puff sheet vinyl. Cheapest of all but a little out of style.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    3 years ago

Cork but it’s finiky with water and grease. I suppose vinyl would be next but caring for it can be a bother/negative. For me, site-finished hardwood is easy on feet and pretty bulletproof and easily repaire/refinished if needed.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Marmoleum

• PRO
    Calvetta Bros. Floor Show
    3 years ago

Hi! We are a flooring retailer in Cleveland, Ohio and have been around for more than 20 years. A great option for a kitchen floor is a luxury vinyl plank like COREtec. It has a cork backing, which makes it nicer to stand on for lengths of time -- but it's also waterproof and scratch resistant, which is ideal for a kitchen. We install COREtec in MANY kitchens (and bathrooms) because of all its beneficial properties. COREtec has a lot of different looks -- from wood looks to tile looks. Good luck in your decision! If you need inspiration, you can visit our site at calvettabrothers.com.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Just to be clear about cork...it is water proof. It's the reason why the bottles of Champagne found on the Titanic were still 'sweet'. The cork (yep...that woody thing sticking out of the bottle) kept the sea water AND THE PRESSURE OF THE OCEAN out of the bottles.

Now a GLUE DOWN cork floor (100% cork) is water proof once it has been site-finished with a coat or two of finish. Cork doesn't care about water. It really doesn't. It has the same finish as a hardwood floor. Like hardwood it can have the finish refreshed.

Like any floor in a kitchen, cork glue down tiles can and will allow STANDING water to reach the edges of the floor (ie. the walls) to soak the subfloor FROM UNDERNEATH. This is the same issue we have with stone, porcelain tile, wood, vinyl, linoleum/marmoleum, etc.

Cork is water proof. The install must be properly done to get it to that situation. A cork floating floor is NOT water proof. And that's where the confusion lies. Everyone wants 'cheap and fast' when it comes to flooring. The kitchen is the LAST PLACE you want cheap. A glue down cork tile floor is going to cost the same amount as a porcelain tile install ($12-$15/sf including materials and labour). Which is why so many people try to work with the $5/sf cork floating floors....only to be disappointed in the performance.

And once again....cork is impervious to water. It is one of the only wood products that is. Just sayin'.

• weedyacres
    3 years ago

Ahem, you're all missing the obvious choice. What's most comfortable? Carpet!

Not saying I'd recommend it, of course. But 2 houses ago, the kitchen (and bathrooms) were all carpeted. So it can be done if comfort is your main goal. :-)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Carpet and pad are wonderful resisting water and grease aren't they?

And after carpet, what...?

• vinmarks
    3 years ago

Do wood floors and get yourself some house shoes.

• ksiemens123
    3 years ago

I never had issues with sore feet when I wore my comfy birkenstock in the house. Since they broke my feet are constantly hurting me in the end of the day (we have real hardwood in the kitchen). Good thing Birkenstock are back in style because I’m getting myself a new pair lol

• pima74
    3 years ago

WE have cork and the manufacturer recommended non-rubber backed rugs at the cook top/stove and the sink to reduce uneven wear. No matter what you choose gel mats at those places or other places where you stan frequently would probably be agood idea for your tooties.

• C Marlin
    3 years ago

Hardwood...

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

LL Bean slippers, or a good, comfy pair of shoes.

• dnorthi
    3 years ago

Wear Crocs your feet and legs will thank you for it!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012