Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trish_walter

Fell in love with Bavarian Alps/Alphinus Slab of course it's taken...

Trish Walter
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Here's the slab I loved.

She sent me 2 other slabs that are from the same 'lot' but farther away in number. Her lighting is different than mine btw.

The slab I loved had 2-3 tiny pops of the blue I will accent my home in [art, pillows, etc.] so I thought that was cool...I don't see it in the photos she sent but asked her so we'll see.

Here's a close up of the original w/blue.

Questions:

1. Should I do this on Island and perimeters or just island with honed Nero Orion perimeter?

Island will be hickory and perimeter SW Alabaster [a creamy off-white ish].

2. Do you like either of the slabs she sent? There are a few others she can send but these were the closest in number.

3. Ideas as to backsplash? I was thinking a picket or a hex in an off-white ?

Wall Color will be SW Crushed Ice.

Thanks.

Comments (43)

• devonfield
    3 years ago

Trish Walter - Do you mean cost when you say number? Or lot number?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

She sent???? No you do not buy counters on line ever. You need to go and see slabs in person when you find one you love you take a picture and while you are there you have it tagged for you, then take a picture of that. I find hickory a very busy wood so I would not choose such a busy slab for a hickory island. You are doing this a bit backwards. !st counters then backsplash after counters are in then wall color. Make sure before choosing any you have good LED lighting in 4000K

• devonfield
    3 years ago

I downloaded the picture and zoomed in as far as I could and circled the area where I thought look like there might be some blue flashes. This is the third slab. Maybe the counter top place will send you zoomed photos of these areas.

• julieboulangerie
    3 years ago

Patricia, many of us don’t have much choice right now. My own story: I picked out slabs at a local stone yard. They didn’t have two from that same lot available at that location. This was a week or so before everything closed down. Two were available 3 hours away, in another state. I had to travel for work that week across the country. Then everything shut down. I couldn’t go see the slabs in person, and if I wanted my renovation to be somewhat on time, I had to do it by photos. The fabricator is also not allowing people in the shop at this time, so while they have them, I’m stuck.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting

I am not buying them online. She sent pictures and if I like one, they will have it delivered to their warehouse for my inspection.

I am building new construction so I kind of pick it all around the same time.

@devonfield I mean slab number. I don't know how it works exactly but they cut the stone and number the slabs. and these slabs are closest in number to the inspiration slab. And thanks for doing that work for me! I think the bottom circle is the only spot with blue sadly.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up. That little blue bit was pretty cool.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    3 years ago

I agree with Patricia that hickory is a very "busy" wood and that this busy countertop will to work well with it. One busy - not two. Make your choice. I'd use something very plain with hickory - either Corian Glacier White or a quite quartz.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

I think the slab is fine for your counters. Once it's horizontal it will not look anywhere near as busy.

I would NOT do two different countertops. That is absolutely too much with your two different cabinet materials.

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

I love this flavor of granite! I was immediatley drawn to the second available slab you posted. For whatever reason, I liked it more than the first available slab.

• Rower 76
    3 years ago

I'm just here to say that stone is stunning.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@shead agree and that's why I'm thinking only for the 4x7 island [there is a prep sink cutout]. and the perimeter in the honed dark granite. But then I always hear not to do 2 colors cabinets with 2 color materials..so thinking should stick with it even though it's busy? I will make sure to do less busy parts perimeter if possible. lol.

so let's call original #1 and then #2 and #3.

#2 might have a blue spot towards the middle right. I think I'm leaning towards that one. But if it doesn't have that little pop of blue i will be bummed.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

still waiting for better pics to see if there's any blue. sigh.

I think I would end up with both slabs since 2 different stones is too much.

I wanted a quartzite but I can save at least $2k going with this stone. And since I fell in love with it I thought yay! I was so excited because they had 2...not marked on hold. Drat.

While I'm waiting, what less busy stone would you suggest I look at? I want a natural stone. I am so spoiled by my granite now. I put hot things on it, spill acidic stuff, etc. It's indestructible. So leaning away from quartz for sure.

Trish

• cpartist
    3 years ago

You shouldn’t put hot things on stone either, including granite.

• devonfield
    3 years ago

Trish Walter - Remind me what style / color your perimeter cabinets are again? I recall your island is Hickory.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@devonfield the perimter will be SW Alabaster [creamy off-white]. All will be shaker.

@cpartist well I've done it for 15 years. Not all the time mind you.

Thanks.

• devonfield
    3 years ago

Trish Walter - what if you did something like a steel grey honed or jet mist honed? Steel grey is super budget friendly and practically indestructible. I have polished steel grey in the perimeter of my kitchen now and I love it some much I'm planning on using it again. I also love the price. Honed jet mist is super cool too, also budget friendly, as it can look like soap stone without the price tag. Some slabs can have a lot of movement so you'd just want to look for a quieter one.

Steel grey - honed

jet mist - honed

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

a plain black island is just not my thing. I'd be fine with perimeter which i think is what you are doing but not island. Thanks.

I also liked this stone [didn't love but liked]. Juparana Delicatus. Maybe less busy enough to go with hickory/alabaster?

I forgot I did really like this honed black called Nero-Orion. Maybe that has enough to do island and perimeter. and it's very affordable! But will it make my kitchen feel dark? oy...decisions decisions. lol. All my lighting will be bronze. I was planning back cabinet pulls/handles.

I was originally planning a quartzite and maybe I should just do it.

Magnolia

Maldives

• devonfield
    3 years ago

@Trish Walter - Oh yes - I was suggesting for your perimeter. I agree about black for an island.

That - Juparana Delicatus looks beautiful, but agree that you should try to find something you love first before compromising.

That Maldives slab is amazing! Wowzers!

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

But will it make my kitchen feel dark?

How many windows do you have in your kitchen, how big are they, and which direction do they face? :-)

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

only one window it's big [5' wide]

but it's open to great room dining with row of sliding doors and windows...

all face west [but covered back porch off kitchen and dining so not too harsh light].

kitchen is on right

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

the only way to do the Bavarian Alps in my budget is to do the blackish perimeter so based on feedback, that's probably out.

I'm trying to save money here so I'm leaning towards a more affordable granite. I was sure it would be under budget since it was a granite and not a quartzite. I cannot seem to win with the deals. ha.

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

I would NOT do two different countertops. That is absolutely too much with your two different cabinet materials.

Agreed. I'd either do all painted cabs with the 2 different tops, or the same counter top with 2 different cabinets (with the island being the accent/pop/contrast in either scenario).

only one window it's big [5' wide]

[...]

[but covered back porch [...] ].

Given this situation, I'd opt for light colored materials/finishes, or extra lighting in your electrical plan, to avoid feeling too dark. ;-)

• shead
    3 years ago

Oh, I love that Maldives slab - like totally LOVE 😍 😍 😍 ! Is that within your budget?

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@shead lol. it's at the top end of my budget. i am trying to save wherever i can as we are about $15k over our total. I know $15k is ok but it still ticks me off because i worked so hard in the beginning to get real numbers but $6k is for stone we didn't anticipate on the house [per town rules not neighborhood].

my shock is that the Bavarian Alps is only $700 less than the Maldives....drat

• shead
    3 years ago

Oh drat! That stinks! I'm hoping that if we use IKEA cabs, it'll save enough to get a nice stone for the kitchen.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@shead I'm glad we didn't do ikea because timing with pandemic but yes...definitely good way to save. hopefully i'll love my cabs. and i think i'll splurge because i will stare and the counters...so now to make sure i LOOVE something..

• devonfield
    3 years ago

@Trish Walter - I'm probably a terrible influence, but for $700 you should get the one you love. Especially since you felt like you compromised on other things. This is one thing you'll love for not a ton of extra money.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@devonfield the one I love is gone [original]. But I agree.

Now I have to decide if I'll get a nice less expensive granite or have the 2 other slabs sent from Ohio or jump and do quartzite. @shead loves one of the quartzites. [Maldives]

I'm going to ponder this weekend.

thanks all for the help!

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

I have hickory cabinets that are pretty plain compared to many I’ve seen. i originally hated them when I moved in to our house. I spent nearly a year looking for counters and finally settled on Glacier white Corian. I was disappointed at first because I had my heart set on something like you’re looking at. But none of them went, the stones had too much pattern and the colors were too cold for the warm wood. I’m really happy with my counters now and they were less than half the cost of granite or quartz and I love how it all came out overall.

Have you taken a sample sample of your door with you when looking at slabs?

The Magnolia has the closest colors that might work with hickory, but keep in mind the cabinets will yellow a bit over time. The Maldives is pretty wouldn’t work with my hickory cabinets.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Indecisiveness we are doing a gray-ish brown stain on the hickory. No I didn't bring at this point but will next time. Good idea.

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

Can you post a picture of your cabinet color? It’s hard for others to make recommendations of what would work best, What is the “prettiest” stone might not be what looks best with your finishes.

What is your flooring?

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

it's also hard to tell from a monitor. I was just asking basic ideas. Thanks.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

I'm putting that same stone in my new kitchen, there was no 2nd choice for me after I found it! We bought 2 slabs 1.5 years ago! Granite guy has been a dream to hold them all this time. My slabs have green in them...I'm doing painted cabinets to keep it quiet.

• mtpo
    3 years ago

@SashaDog, Would you mind posting a photo of your kitchen/countertops?. I am so uncertain about what to do. The fabricator my builder uses for stone, quartz and sintered stone is not open to the public now. I have sent away for samples of Neolith and Dekton but have not received them yet. I have a 2” x 2” sample of Glacier White Corian but can’t visualize how it will look installed., I am considering it for its durability. I have an L shaped perimeter run (about 30’) and a 4’ x 7’6” island. It is rare to hear anyone say that they have used Corian. Have you been satisfied with your choice?

@Trish Walter, I love your choice — the Bavarian Alps slabs are beautiful. Can you cut $$ on something else instead? I forget who mentioned that they will not seem too busy when they are installed. I think that’s right.. If you are standing right over the slab and looking down at it, you won’t be seeing much hickory, and if you are standing back from the island so that you see the hickory, you won’t have a full head on view of the slab. These slabs go right to the heart of your design. As to the bits of blue (or lack thereof), IMHO, I think that’s more psychological than aesthetic. Probably, you would be the only one to notice the bits of blue unless you pointed them out! Then, your guests would nod and agree that it the blue is very cool! If I were in your shoes, I would also want those lovely blue flecks, but don’t give up on the beautiful slabs just because they are missing. I think you’ll be sad if you don’t go with the Bavarian Alps. What does your gut tell you at 3 a.m. when you are up thinking about this? (Also — whoever advised to see how the slabs will be cut and installed Is correct).

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

update:

the cost difference was not just $700 [i wish] I was commenting that is was $700 more than a quartzite I liked and I was assuming going with granite would save me money. but it's way more than other granites [like $3-4k more]

The quartzite I'm now leaning towards is $2100 LESS than the Bavarian alps granite. So $2100 which just seems like too much to justify. Now if that stone was actually available and I wasn't over budget on so many other things, I might consider it. ha.

Here's the quartzite [Opus White].

• kelleg69
    3 years ago

I love the Opus White. It is really pretty. I think that is a good choice. Won't be too busy, but is interesting. I would use on all cabinets. I don't know what hickory looks like. Will it work with the tones in this one?

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Make sure it's quartzite and not marble labeled as quartzite. Make sure it's not porous and doesn't etch or scratch.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ended up going completely different direction with Nero Orion Brushed. Decided didn't want the granite to be the star as the floorplan is very open...

I think it worked out well.

• eam44
    3 years ago

I’m so glad you changed your mind. It looks great.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Love what you did.

• Alen musk
    3 years ago

Can you make some recommendations of brands and models? I actually have really no clue wherein to begin. Should I purchase the unit from a huge field save, on line or will a plumber have get right of entry to to a better unit?

• new-beginning
    3 years ago

Alen musk, you will get more and better responses if you start your own thread.