Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_394870357

Which fertilizer should i be using for my Tomato plant?

Jay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

New to gardening and experimenting with a few different vegetables. Right now I have German Strip tomato in a 5 Gallon bucket, it is about 5-6" inches tall and looking really healthy. Drilled holes for drainage, about an inch or so of round gravel at the bottom and this great organic potting soil mix for the rest. I have done hours of reading because I am now obsessed with my new found hobby, I have a good feel on how to water a container grown tomato but I am still not comfortable with fertilizing.

My Girlfriend gardens every year but has no desire to do more than the simplified version of gardening. She plants, waters & fertilizes with no rhyme or reason and usually is successful for the most part. I want to get this down to the science so I am producing the best fruit/vegetable possible off my little guy.

1. I read that the tomato plant should be getting more macro-nutrient than the other at different stages of its growth cycle. If this is true, how are you fertilizing and with which fertilizer? If it

does not matter a great deal, do you use one type of fertilizer throughout the life cycle of your plants?

2. How often are you fertilizing? I understand once every week or every other week is typical, what are you doing for your container grown tomatos?

Any information would help. I am doing my first fertilizing today using Miracle Grow 18-18-21 Tomato Plant food mix. Not sure if I want to stick with that all the way thru the life cycle of my plant or change it up to a better mix or method. I will keep researching and reading on the subject but would love to hear from others!

Thanks!

Comments (4)